Engine Identification

Hi I'm new this site I signed up because I just purchased a B model Mack. I want to know more about it. What I do know is that it is a single screw tractor very short it has a air starter and a wet line. The engine is a 6 cylinder diesel without a turbo.

What I need help with is the engine identification what is the engine and where do I find it. If anybody Knows of any good Mack books to read let me know I what to learn as much as I can about Macks so I don't sound or look like a fool! thanks

Well a non turbo Mack diesel in a B model would be an END673. EN is for engine D means its a diesel and 673 is the displacement in cubic inches. There would be a T after the D if it was a turbo. There were also a few letters that came after that denoted the generation of the block. For example I have an ENDT673 with no trailing letter which is the original turbo block that only allowed for a bypass oil filter. Newer 673 blocks had the ability to use a full flow oil filter. Look on top of the gear housing above where the injection pump bolts and look for the engine ID numbers stamped on. Also you can look at the passenger side of the block toward the front where the tach cable runs to the compressor shaft housing and there is the engine plate.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

It could be a END711 dont foget that piece off junk.

Natural 711's were worth their weight across the scales!

Now Glenn, my 64 B-61 with a 711 has had the dogshit worked out of it, yet with loose bowels, still runs perfect. It is retrofitted/turbocharged with the Mack supplied kit offered in early 65 as a recall, or TSB, due to cylinder head and valve problems.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Sounds like a neat truck. Would love to have an AIR starter on mine! Way cool.

If you can locate the engine number on the front of accy drive(pass. side), front of motor, that will tell you alot about the engine.

Does it have SPLIT intake manifold(two pcs, one for each head)? That's the hopped up version of 673.

Be sure to add your serial number to the B model registry(find link on front page of forums).

Serial number will be on Pass. frame rail behind front spring perch. Compare this to what is on title, as it could be mis-matched(like mine). It will be "B61Txxxxxx" in about 1/2" stamped letters.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Sounds like a neat truck. Would love to have an AIR starter on mine! Way cool.

If you can locate the engine number on the front of accy drive(pass. side), front of motor, that will tell you alot about the engine.

Does it have SPLIT intake manifold(two pcs, one for each head)? That's the hopped up version of 673.

Be sure to add your serial number to the B model registry(find link on front page of forums).

Serial number will be on Pass. frame rail behind front spring perch. Compare this to what is on title, as it could be mis-matched(like mine). It will be "B61Txxxxxx" in about 1/2" stamped letters.

Thankyou,

Well a non turbo Mack diesel in a B model would be an END673. EN is for engine D means its a diesel and 673 is the displacement in cubic inches. There would be a T after the D if it was a turbo. There were also a few letters that came after that denoted the generation of the block. For example I have an ENDT673 with no trailing letter which is the original turbo block that only allowed for a bypass oil filter. Newer 673 blocks had the ability to use a full flow oil filter. Look on top of the gear housing above where the injection pump bolts and look for the engine ID numbers stamped on. Also you can look at the passenger side of the block toward the front where the tach cable runs to the compressor shaft housing and there is the engine plate.

Thankyou for telling me how to read the number code on the engine. You made it very clear and once I find the identification number I'll know what the engine is

Good Evening If you have the serial number contact the mack museum they should have a lot of info on your truck.build sheet origial owner, orignal engine, trans etc, also check ebay for books parts etc. Good luck and thanks for saving one more MACK.Skip :mack1:

Is that the museum in Allentown Pa? Thankyou for the info it will be neat to try and find out the history of the truck

• 11 years later...

It is correct that a "786" would have an ENDTB676.  All sorts of engines were based on an actual 672 CID.  A Mack ENDT675 is also a 672 for example. 

The B means it has an engine brake.

You are good to go.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.