What the heck is this beast?

NY-B61

The link worked great, thank you! The concept of building these things from components off the shelf reminds me of what Tucker did with automobiles.

Sure hope you can get back and find out if the thing still exists.....and hopefully find out the history of it.

You're right, length and weight laws were all over the place depending on which state or burg you found yourself in. The Road King could have been built with the myriad of state and local regulations of the time in mind. Now we know what a truck built around regulations as opposed to efficiency and common sense looks like. :lol:

I'd be interested in seeing any pictures you might have of Red Skelton's bus-based box trucks. Buses are another illness of mine. Thanks for a great answer!

Here is one photo I have on the computer, I'll scan the others this weekend. Crown / Fruehauf for Red . Paul

oo1962Crown_Red_Skelton_zps10f3e419.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Sure hope you can get back and find out if the thing still exists.....and hopefully find out the history of it.

Paul, the thing was so far off the beaten path I don't remember its precise location. I know it was near Shamokin, Pa. but that's about it. I'll try posting a "Have You Seen This Thing" ad on craigslist in the Shamokin area and see if I don't get a response of some kind. Maybe another BMT member lives near Shamokin and has seen (what's left of?) it.

Paul, the thing was so far off the beaten path I don't remember its precise location. I know it was near Shamokin, Pa. but that's about it. I'll try posting a "Have You Seen This Thing" ad on craigslist in the Shamokin area and see if I don't get a response of some kind. Maybe another BMT member lives near Shamokin and has seen (what's left of?) it.

PZ 1 - I apologize for the name mix up. I'll be sure to post any craigslist responses I get.

Here is one photo I have on the computer, I'll scan the others this weekend. Crown / Fruehauf for Red . Paul

oo1962Crown_Red_Skelton_zps10f3e419.jpg

Paul, Thank you for the picture. That's a nice looking rig. Greyhound eventually converted a number of their Scenicruisers (GMC PD-4501) to freighters by adding a bulkhead at the top of the staircase and freight doors either on the sides or at the rear of the vehicle. I believe Crown tried something similar with individual buses traded in for newer models.

I think McCullough and Fruehauf were on to something, but for the wrong reasons - regulations. Look at the increase in useable cargo space per foot of vehicle the McCullough and Fruehauf designs provided when compared to a conventional semi of the time. Could Road Kings have been linked together in units of 2, 3 or even 10 for distance transport - similar to an Australian road train - and then sent on their individual way from regional Truckports®? Sure.

With an umbilical cord setup and synchronization controls similar to those used in locomotives, power would be supplied incrementally, unit by unit, depending on terrain and load. "But what about the 1200 tires ?" (I've increased this to a 100 unit Road King, by the way) Yes, and so what? Put 100 trucks side by side, even on nylon cord, and how many simultaneous blowouts do you get? For each tire changed, if any, during a 3,000 mile run, you're still moving 100 containers that will find their way to 100 individual destinations.

I wonder why these rigs never made it?

Edited by NY-B61

Crown actually replaced everything behind the drivers compartment with a Fruehauf or a Trailermobil box. As for road train, the Nestle on in South America has a pintle on the tail for a dolly and a pup trailer, similar to what C.F. did in the 50's.

They probably never caught on because of the reluctance for companies to try something new and the normal dislike of rear engines for maintenance issues.

As for a search for it, I use Google Earth to find old units. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I posted an ad on Craigslist in the Harrisburg, PA area asking if anyone knew the location of the now-identified McCullough Road King I'd seen 10 years ago. I thought it was located in Shamokin - turns out it was closer to Selinsgove, 35 miles west. Here's the nice response I received from my Craigslist ad:

"That truck use to sit in a field on route 522 outside Selinsgrove on the left side for years.Someone bought the farm and cleaned up around there and it dissapeared.The Daily Item actually ran an article years ago about people stopping and trying to buy it all the time and it was a local conversation peace.Sorry,I don't know who owns the farm or where the truck went.Good Luck"
Darn. A decade late and a dollar short. :lol:

I posted an ad on Craigslist in the Harrisburg, PA area asking if anyone knew the location of the now-identified McCullough Road King I'd seen 10 years ago. I thought it was located in Shamokin - turns out it was closer to Selinsgove, 35 miles west. Here's the nice response I received from my Craigslist ad:

"That truck use to sit in a field on route 522 outside Selinsgrove on the left side for years.Someone bought the farm and cleaned up around there and it dissapeared.The Daily Item actually ran an article years ago about people stopping and trying to buy it all the time and it was a local conversation peace.Sorry,I don't know who owns the farm or where the truck went.Good Luck"
Darn. A decade late and a dollar short. :lol:

The story of my life! Paul :)

P.T.CHESHIRE

The Road King is beginning to remind me of the GM Futureliners - very few built and not much left of most of those that remain. There are a couple that have been immaculately restored though.

If anyone sees a Road King in a field, junkyard or elsewhere please snap and post a pic of it. I'd like to buy and restore one before none remain. I need a Road King like I need more rocks in my head but I'll cross that bridge when I find one.

The Road King is beginning to remind me of the GM Futureliners - very few built and not much left of most of those that remain. There are a couple that have been immaculately restored though.

If anyone sees a Road King in a field, junkyard or elsewhere please snap and post a pic of it. I'd like to buy and restore one before none remain. I need a Road King like I need more rocks in my head but I'll cross that bridge when I find one.

I'd have to find 2. It's # 2 on my gotta have list. :)

P.T.CHESHIRE

I'd have to find 2. It's # 2 on my gotta have list. :)

They look flat-floored from front to rear. Think of the options you'd have without having to fight wheel wells. And you could apparently drive a forklift in to the interior of a Road King. Interchangeable, multi-purpose interiors using repurposed shipping containers? Slide them in and slide them out on rollers?

I'll keep looking for more info - and 2 Road Kings. B)

In the meantime, the U.S. Patent Office online seems like a good place to start searching for drawings.

I called Charlie Paige the promoter of Selinsgrove Speedway about the truck. He recalled it and said a few racers wanted to buy it for a transport / mobile track side shop but it was never ever for sale. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

If there were people that wanted to buy it, hopefully it got sold to someone that wanted to save it and use it. It could be lurking around somewhere yet.

You guys might have to settle for a Super Freighter. There seems to be a few of those around yet - the two axle type anyway.

I looked a one a few years ago in Amityville L.I. It was an old May Flower mover that was converted to a book mobile. Needed everything and more. It would be easier to stretch a COE chassis and slid it under a trailer in the long run. Like my wanting a Pacific M-26 tank hauler I don't see either one in my future. Way to many other projects for my wife to sell when I'm gone. ;) Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

I called Charlie Paige the promoter of Selinsgrove Speedway about the truck. He recalled it and said a few racers wanted to buy it for a transport / mobile track side shop but it was never ever for sale. Paul

That was smart thinking, Paul. Not bad for a needle in a haystack! I'm having no luck finding patent drawings so far. I hope the Road King is still out there somewhere near Selinsgrove and the right person spots this thread. I can't imagine it would have been scrapped if that many people knew about it and/or were interested in buying it. Upcoming barn find? Lol!

If there were people that wanted to buy it, hopefully it got sold to someone that wanted to save it and use it. It could be lurking around somewhere yet.

You guys might have to settle for a Super Freighter. There seems to be a few of those around yet - the two axle type anyway.

I hope it is lurking in a barn or warehouse somewhere in PA. That would the kind of barn find you could get some mileage out of. ^_^

The Super Freighters have a streamlined appaearance similar to The Road King but, if following Fageol form, were probably built around an International chassis and power train. The Road King seems like a heavier and better powered truck......if anyone knew where one was. I think we're close.

Another difficulty in choosing a Super Freighter over a Road King is its name. For instance, it's time to name your first-born son. Do you choose 'Percival', 'Super Freighter' or Road King?

Freighters really aren't bad looking. :)

post-15438-0-52446700-1403571443.jpg

post-15438-0-96658200-1403571453.jpg

post-15438-0-78832400-1403572079_thumb.j

That was smart thinking, Paul. Not bad for a needle in a haystack! I'm having no luck finding patent drawings so far. I hope the Road King is still out there somewhere near Selinsgrove and the right person spots this thread. I can't imagine it would have been scrapped if that many people knew about it and/or were interested in buying it. Upcoming barn find? Lol!

I think a phone call out of the blue about the truck is something Mr Paige will get some mileage out of with the locals, I'll call back in a few weeks and see.

If it was taken to a salvage yard, I personally could see it end up as storage. If it is, than most likely is full of parts and a few valuable cars on top out of harms way. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Here is the response from the Just Old Trucks "What Am I" Expert

Thanks Brocky. This has a familiar look to it, I'll have to see what I can dig up. I think McCullough Road King is the right answer.
Take care,
Jeff

Brocky

Thanks Brocky. This has a familiar look to it, I'll have to see what I can dig up. I think McCullough Road King is the right answer.
Take care,
Jeff

Thanks! Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Take care,
Jeff

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone is having a great Independence Day weekend!

I'd posted a craigslist ad in Harrisburg, PA asking for info and/or offering to buy the beast I posted earlier:

post-15438-0-45463200-1404595990_thumb.jpost-15438-0-03575000-1404596054_thumb.j

I'd received several emails from people in Pennsylvania who had seen the thing or knew of it but nothing concrete as far as it's manufacturer, current location or condition. Then I received this:

"sorry buddy but i already sold the truck to a scrap yard"

I wrote back and asked if he could offer any additional info on the make and year of the vehicle. Was it a McCullough Road King? Here's the reply I received:

"i dont have the papers to it anymore to tell you that buddy im 80 years old n had it since i was in my teens, but wish you well on your search it would have cost me over 40,000 to restore it junk yard gave me 2500 for it so i was happy because whole inside floors were rusted threw and it didnt run"

And then this:

"the guy at junk yard told me he was going to gut it and make it into a rv i thought that was neat"

That's the most concrete response I've received yet. Was I fed a line, punked or boofed? "im 80 years old n had it since i was in my teens"

Opinions?

At least the junk yard guy was gonna keep it....wonder if he did

If he's 80 now, he would have been born in 1934, so his "teens" would have been '47-'53(13-19).....

If his memory isn't broke, there's a window at least. Wonder if he could name the scrapper so we could try and track him down.....

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

PZ-1 posted a link for the article / ad it was in the September 27, 1956 issue of the York, Pennsylvania, Gazette and Daily . so his memory could be off meaning twenties not teens. So it could be possible. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE