"r" Model Ram Air:

Rob

I'm wondering what others think about doing away with the external mounted air cleaner assy, and replacing it with an underhood unit? The existing filter housing is only 16 inches in diameter so it could be used. I would also manufacture a fiberglass hood scoop about 4.5 inches in height, six inches deep, and 18 inches or so long for the fresh air inlet at the rear of the hood by the cowl. This air inlet would be ducted to the inlet of the filter housing through a fabricated air box sealing to the underside of the hood. I would also include a door for cold air, or underhood air for inclement weather operation actuated by stainless air cylinders, (Bimba).

I'm wondering if this would be beneficial or worth the effort. If not, I'll probably have the retainer straps for the existing housing plated and paint the balance. It currently has a plastic ram air scoop, (Donaldson) on it.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Ok, basic rule of engine power, the colder the intake air, the better the performance. By putting the air cleaner under the hood, you would be heating it. The air coming in from outside might be cold, but when it gets to the air cleaner unit, there will be hot spots, and the air flow slows a bit in the unit, allowing the air to warm. I am an Aussie so therefore I guess biased to external "stack" type intakes and filter units. I have driven a C120 Frightliner with a C16 Cat @ 600HP under the bonnet. So was the air cleaner, intake ducting from the rear of the bonnet and all the rest of the hot stuff. Any day when it was over 30'C (mid 80's F), it just failed. Engine temp was way up and power way down. Leave 'em outside in the breeze.

Ive got a Ford 9000 with the filter under the hood. It makes for clean lines but it picks up lots of heat. Im going to put something behind the cab if I can figure out a way to duct it without lots of restrictive bends.

You'll never go wrong by doing right.

Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?