I Found Her!

joemac

That looks great. This truck sits out near me. It still has the antique tag on but no roof over it. You see how important it is. You need a building. One of those car ports is not good enough. That is what I had at first. It ruined he paint on the truck I kept in there. Mike

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hard to read unless it is enlarged, but it is also from Barto.

Mike, what year is the "L" model? The hood trim is from an early one....but the fenders and bumper look like a later one...Thanks

The serial number on the L model is 85LS1341. Where was it before Barto?

The Seagrave was from Spring City. I don't know where it went but was told it went to a collector. It definitely suffered from being outside.

I hope I am not steeling the thread. Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

If it seems too good to be true...

The guy wouldn't return my calls. In the meantime. I managed to locate the original model 17 beacon for the truck. I gathered info and found a storage spot.

I finally got him on the phone yesterday morning.

He denies ever making a deal with me. He says I must have misunderstood.

The reality is that he changed his mind and doesn't have the balls to tell me.

He offered me one of the rusty L models, instead.

I dissociate myself from people I cannot trust.

It's over. The big carrot routine: tease me with something and give me something to look forward to and to daydream about. Then take it away.

Life sucks.

Now I'm faced with the challenge of not feeling anger whenever I see a photo of a Mack C.

Wow!

Sorry to hear that he did that to you.

Hopefully you didn't have much time or money invested in diagnosing

The fuel and ignition issues you spoke about earlier in the post.

Stuff like that has happened to me in the past as well.

I once had a 1967 Chevy c-10 given to me that haden't run in years

So I spent the better part of a week getting it running and ready drive home from Virginia

To vermont . Got it all set and he wouldn't sign it over decided to keep it

He couldn't find the title when he did he wouldn't sign it.

Was my father in law that was 15 years ago we don't speak

Never gave me a penny back so basically I fixed his truck for free.

2 months later he sold it to the next door neighbor for 3500.00

No problem signing title . My wife (his daughter) wanted the truck because it was her grandmas

Before it was his. So when she use to visit she had to drive by it . At neighbors house . Steve

That sucks!!!!! I know the feeling. I hope you can work things out with him. Any chance you could find him another C Model and swap. There was a really nice one on Craigs List in Redding Ct priced right. I would have bought it myself but my wife thinks our fleet is big enough already.

Thanks.

I didn't have any money invested, just half my soul.

As I said, I don't deal with people I don't trust. I trust someone until they give me reason not to.

This guy is just careless and ignorant.

When I first talked to him he told me how he got the three trucks for, "next to nothing". He said two of them were B models. When I got there and saw an L, I assumed it was someone else's. He came out and met me as I was walking around the rusty L. I informed him it wasn't a B, but an L.

He wanted to argue with me, saying the registration said it was a B. I showed him the build plate and he still insisted it was a B. He fetched the paper from the glove box. It showed it was indeed an LS 85.

I'm not interested in another truck. I have three projects going already, not including cars that I'm working on. I'll just concentrate on those and forget owning a fire truck.

He blew it. I would have been more than happy to help him to clean up and fix the '58 for free.

He offered the truck to me, twice. I wouldn't have asked him for it. I just wanted to find it and maybe help him get it going and become friends enough to take it to some shows and maybe a parade or two. I'll get over it.

• 4 months later...

It's mid/late August.

I'd managed to track down the original Fed 17 a while back.

Having had time to deliberate, I thought I'd approach the owner(s), to see if I could acquire it.

If I can't have the rig, the original beacon would be a great memento.

On Friday, I emailed the guy who Bill had heard from about the beacon.

Bill had forwarded the photos he'd gotten,and had inadvertently given me the guy's email addy.

I waited until now to approach him.

How's this for a reply?

"

Hey Joe.

Yeah, we tried to find it a few times also, to no avail.

I still have the light in my living room, it's just here waiting for you.

I'd rather see it go to someone who will appreciate it for what it is, than sit around on a shelf collecting dust.

It's yours if you want it.

Let me know if you have any ideas as to how we can get together so I can get it to you.

I am in XXXXXX, PA.

Or, if Bill is going to be in the area, I can arrange to give it to him.

Either way, let me know.

Hope you are able to work something out with the guy, I'd like to see that old girl again.

Stay safe."

I told him I'm going to try to buy the truck, outright.

Wish me luck.