Computer Engine Questions.

Around 1991 in CH trucks the VMAC1 computer controlled engines came out but you could still get manual pump engines in RD,DM,Rb and MR style trucks up till around 1997. As far as bumping HP up with computer downloads, it can be done but depending on year model and how many HP you want to go up sometimes requires turbo, injectors, bigger balancer,pistons, and offset cam keyway. When we do HP upgrades we fill out a HP Conversion form and fax it to mack and they fax back what is parts to change. Say on a 1999 CH you wanted to go from 350 to 400 all required is a bigger balancer and a computer download, but to go to a 460HP you need turbo, injectors, offset cam keyway, bigger balancer and download. Really depends on year and how high in HP you want to go. These guys bring their 350 hp trucks in and think we can just walk out to their truck and plug our laptop in and crank up the HP, well it dont work that way. With EPA looking over Macks shoulder its getting harder to get the HOT downloads that we used to get, we are in a fight right now between Mack and a customer because of low power and with 4 dyno results to prove it .

Since you already have a 427HP, to go to 454HP if you have a VMAC2 fuel pump engine (which I think you do) or 460HP if you have a ETECH engine. Just the download is all you should need, the 427 and the 454/460 use the same injectors and turbo in most cases. I dont know what the download will cost, I have seen some that were free from Mack but you never know. Best thing to do is go to your local Mack dealer and fill out a Horsepower Change Request Form and the dealer will fax it to Mack and in a day or so Mack will fax the dealer back with the parts that need to be replaced (if any) and the cost of the download (if any). If you tell the dealer" upgrade me" the dealer signs the request form and refaxes back to mack where they turn on the download(in a day or 2) The dealer should do this paper work for free or at least we do this for free for the customer because if customer wants the HP we can at least get an hour labor for the download plus parts/labor that need changing. Most of the time Mack will want you to upgrade/replace the clutch to a larger tourque rating unit. We have never done this and have never had any problems. On ETECH engines 350 or 400 HP upgrading to 427 or 460 HP Mack will want you to change the cam keyway to an offset keyway to retard the timing,(unless you have an ETECH CCRS or ASET engine) you must do this or it will run hot in the summer, trust me ,we tried it. Hope this helps. P.S. ETECH 427's already have the offset camkey. Around 2001 the CCRS engine and in 2004 the ASET engine came out, these were easy to upgrade due to the engines all being the same regardless of HP (except for turbo and injectors and download) these engines all had straight cam keys and big balancers so the turbo and injectors and download were the only difference between a 250HP and a 460HP engine. On the MP motors all parts/engines are the same regardless of HP only the download is different.

Since you already have a 427HP, to go to 454HP if you have a VMAC2 fuel pump engine (which I think you do) or 460HP if you have a ETECH engine. Just the download is all you should need, the 427 and the 454/460 use the same injectors and turbo in most cases. I dont know what the download will cost, I have seen some that were free from Mack but you never know. Best thing to do is go to your local Mack dealer and fill out a Horsepower Change Request Form and the dealer will fax it to Mack and in a day or so Mack will fax the dealer back with the parts that need to be replaced (if any) and the cost of the download (if any). If you tell the dealer" upgrade me" the dealer signs the request form and refaxes back to mack where they turn on the download(in a day or 2) The dealer should do this paper work for free or at least we do this for free for the customer because if customer wants the HP we can at least get an hour labor for the download plus parts/labor that need changing. Most of the time Mack will want you to upgrade/replace the clutch to a larger tourque rating unit. We have never done this and have never had any problems. On ETECH engines 350 or 400 HP upgrading to 427 or 460 HP Mack will want you to change the cam keyway to an offset keyway to retard the timing,(unless you have an ETECH CCRS or ASET engine) you must do this or it will run hot in the summer, trust me ,we tried it. Hope this helps. P.S. ETECH 427's already have the offset camkey. Around 2001 the CCRS engine and in 2004 the ASET engine came out, these were easy to upgrade due to the engines all being the same regardless of HP (except for turbo and injectors and download) these engines all had straight cam keys and big balancers so the turbo and injectors and download were the only difference between a 250HP and a 460HP engine. On the MP motors all parts/engines are the same regardless of HP only the download is different.

Thanks for the reply. I'm 99% sure I have the VMAC II, if I read the book and tag on the valve cover right. My first order of bidness is to have the valves adjusted, the jake brake working right. Debating how much more I want to spend. $600+ on new exhaust parts, $12 for some trans. o-rings....crap adds up!

Too bad there isn't a 'free downloads.com' type of website for this stuff. Find a cord/plug on EBay to hook to my laptop and fire away.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just outta curiosity here, how come in Australia the E-tech came as a 470hp but in the states it was a 460??? Wonder if you could get a download to bump it to Aust. spec 470. Just a thought....

Just outta curiosity here, how come in Australia the E-tech came as a 470hp but in the states it was a 460??? Wonder if you could get a download to bump it to Aust. spec 470. Just a thought....

In the states Mack has 4 different 460's a 460p made 487peak hp if you had a all mack and was lucky enough to get the xt program ie 460xt peak hp was closer 490

why does mack set aus. up more from the factory emissions would be my guess, they cranked the e9 up to 600 down there topped out at 500 in the states the new MP8 is set at 500 in austalia but only 485 in the states

In the states Mack has 4 different 460's a 460p made 487peak hp if you had a all mack and was lucky enough to get the xt program ie 460xt peak hp was closer 490

why does mack set aus. up more from the factory emissions would be my guess, they cranked the e9 up to 600 down there topped out at 500 in the states the new MP8 is set at 500 in austalia but only 485 in the states

They advertised the output here at 610, but I can tell you one reason they never put them that high in the states, economy, or lack of. AFD in Alice Springs were running them in the first of their Titans, pulling Quad road trains ( 4 trailers), of fuel tankers and were getting an average of 0.8 km per litre. That's 1.88 mpg roughly. They converted their fleet to Signatures at 600 hp and doubled the economy. When the E-tech 470 came out here in late '98 we were only on euro 2 emission spec as well. I agree that it must have something to do with emissions though. Not sure what the official peak output of the 470 is, whether it's 470 peak or a touch more. Like getting secrets outta the CIA here getting info out of Mack.

• 13 years later...