FDNY Super Pumper System.

Terry T

For those interested (me, me) this is the Museum in Bay City Michigan where the Super Pumper is now. Paul

http://www.toyandfiretruckmuseum.org/default.htm

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 1 year later...

Yes Firematic has one. High 6 digit price too.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Anyone know what happened to the tiller on the tender, and subsequently why the tender had a backwards facing tiller while the pumper had none at all? I've been doing some research on the SPS and all the models and some photos show it with a tiller but most of the photos, especially modern photos show it with the tiller removed. Other than that I just wish the pumper would get fixed, even if it took the current owner starting a GoFundMe and a majority of us would donate, and the tender meet up with the pumper so we could see how the system was supposed to operate, instead of just having the pumper sit around useless and the tender having to be pumped by 4 other engines... It's a real shame that the Super Pumper was retired and a successor was never purchased. I can find no footage of the Super Pumper living up to it's name and pumping! If anyone can find and that'd be awesome.

• Like 1

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

I believe that the rear steer on the Tender was to facilitate picking up the large diameter hose after use. The plan was to back the Tender up as the hose was reloaded and the trailer could be steered. Apparently, the concept wasn't practical and the tiller was removed. Original plans for the Tender were to have the hose mounted on reels but that didn't work out either. In any event, I would like to have seen it in operation back in the day. Too bad that it didn't end up in either the FDNY or Mack museums.

Edited by bulldogboy
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, CaptainCrutch said:

Anyone know what happened to the tiller on the tender, and subsequently why the tender had a backwards facing tiller while the pumper had none at all? I've been doing some research on the SPS and all the models and some photos show it with a tiller but most of the photos, especially modern photos show it with the tiller removed. Other than that I just wish the pumper would get fixed, even if it took the current owner starting a GoFundMe and a majority of us would donate, and the tender meet up with the pumper so we could see how the system was supposed to operate, instead of just having the pumper sit around useless and the tender having to be pumped by 4 other engines... It's a real shame that the Super Pumper was retired and a successor was never purchased. I can find no footage of the Super Pumper living up to it's name and pumping! If anyone can find and that'd be awesome.

The Super Pumper system officially went into service in October 1965 and had already been special called to operate at a lumberyard fire in Brooklyn 2 months before that had gone to 11 alarms. The Super Pumper drafted at this incident and pumped more than 7 million gallons of water at a time when the city was experiencing severe drought conditions.  There is a CBC news video around with shots of it in action. I lost it with a computer crash a few years ago

Search for  1965 11 alarm lumberyard fire in Brooklyn NYC

1a390d514f711be5343d0c1ed5452c66--fire-department-art-ideas.jpg.2ebfbb1f59a4dfe187f96377e306509a.jpgfc20b87d11faca6d0f0114245adad54a--fire-department-fire-trucks.jpg.5a6f5787e0138be8c271da18d98e5166.jpgny_nyc_fdny_retired_super_pumper_1_(6).jpg.14a2bb6ef9a21fda429d4f75a377c246.jpg

• Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 12/3/2019 at 9:29 AM, CaptainCrutch said:

Anyone know what happened to the tiller on the tender, and subsequently why the tender had a backwards facing tiller while the pumper had none at all?

Was not a tiller. Was a rear-facing steering station to steer the trailer when the rig was backing up for purposes of picking up the large diameter supply hose. Was removed due to technical and operational issues. 

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

10 hours ago, 41chevy said:

There is a CBC news video around with shots of it in action. I lost it with a computer crash a few years ago

Search for  1965 11 alarm lumberyard fire in Brooklyn NYC

I can't find it and I've tried a few different ways of searching it. Good info on the loss of steer on the tender, and excellent pictures of the two in operation! Really shows how badly FDNY needed it at the time if they sent it into action before they had even completed training on it. Makes me even more giddy to try and get a group together to get her pumping again... if only I had the time or money...

It really is a shame FDNY didn't renew the system and let it retire. For being such a specialized engine it was used surprisingly often, even towards the end, from one of the charts I saw there were a few years it responded on average more than once a day. It was brought about for a reason and more than proved itself in the cases it was built for. I agree with the rest of you in saying I wish the pumper had been taken up by a real museum dedicated to this type of device that actually have the will and way of restoring it to competely operable condition. In the meantime the best we can due is wait for the current owner to go bankrupt or croak and someone with quite a lot of cash to pick the thing up and get her back to the condition she should be in. I know a few guys who've said if they ever win the lottery that's exactly what they'll do... heck, I know by DC with a sizable collection that he prides himself in and more than enough money to take on the projects. Atleast the tender seems to be in good hands...