Tearing into the fronts springs of my B

Well, after 12 yrs, I'm finally going to fix the LF spring on my truck. The two front clamps have been broken the top few leaves have been separated since who knows when? Nothing broke(yet), but thought I would finally take a stab at getting the pin out. Ugh.

Got it jacked up this afternoon, removed wheel and lock bolt for the pin. Using my trusty lil air hammer I took a few hits at it. Nuth'n, nadda, ain't moving. Started scraping grease off everything so I can get into it with some heat tomorrow. Once I get that moving, I'll whack the Ubolts off and loosen the front clamp so I can get the spring out.

Already spoke to spring shop and they are going to rebuild it with some new leafs and use over what ever they can. Right front springs is still perfect condition so won't need to pull it apart. The left springs has never gotten grease into the pin since I owned it. No matter how hard I tried. Of course the right side takes grease fine.

Just another project I've put off forever, but figured my luck will run out sooner or later and leave me stuck on the side of the road.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I am hoping that reusing most of the pack, only replacing the top few will keep the arch the same, thus not screw the ride height up too bad. I'll take an inch one way or the other as I don't think that will make it look lopsided. If it is worse, then I'll have to take the passenger side out and duplicate it?

if it is bad, then I will just put a U model cab on it and then no one will notice the lean LOL!!!!

😐
  • Like 1

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

actually just took mine apart last weekend Larry. when i rebuilt it I put the axle and springs out of a dump truck in it. FA522 as I couldn't find a Fa517 axle for the life of me. anyways this axle has 14 leaves in the spring packs and most B61 Single axles came with 11. I took the springs out, new U bolts and center bolts and took out two leaves on each side. maybe it will ride a little better, maybe. it might be easier for you to take the 4 , 1/2 inch bolts out of the front spring cap and let it down or jack truck up. this way it will take tension off the back pin and it will come out easier. usually have t put a small bottle jack between the frame and top of springs and jack the spring down a little and a jack underneath to get the rubber insulator back in the front hanger just right. usually takes me 2/3 tries. I usually spray it with a little PB so the rubber slides back in the case easier.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. My local spring guy could not come up with any replacement springs sets. Without special order and crazy prices!! He said for a few hundred bucks I'll have it back to good and new U bolts and pin.

I was going to work on the pin today before cutting bolts and tearing into the front clamp. Maybe I'll go ahead and cut it all loose and the pin "might' come out? I doubt it since it has never taken grease and is likely stuck pretty tight in the bushing. 12 yrs ago I tore the rear springs apart but it was easy with it being out in the open.

Of course it is an oily mess, so torches will be tough to use, but don't have much of a choice. No real room to swing a sledge either(had thoughts of removing the fender?).

Larry

A little more room under a B model for a BFH would be nice.

I was able to get a main leaf and a wrap at Donovan Spring In NH for my B75. It took a couple of days and I don't recall the price being too bad. Maybe have your guy give them a call and see what they could do.

http://www.donovancompany.com/

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Well I got the front clamp off(only one broken bolt but it is exposed with lower clamp off so some heat and visegrips should get it out). The u bolts came off with my 3/4" impact!! The pin is STUCK. Likely take some heat to break it loose. Got to clean up oil/grease before getting in there with a flame. If I had a more industrial sized air hammer it might move? Like to get it out today?

Larry

funny thing about this, when Bob Daub was still sellin parts for b models he made a comment on how nobody ordered any front springs from him ever even tho he had brand new ones for about $350..... his next comment was unless you guys start buyin these, there wont be any 15 years from now... ugh!

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

frontspring_zps1f01f414.jpg

Don't look so hateful just sitting there. (I can't post pics from home, had to wait til I got to work today)

Interesting set up on the front with those riveted on pads for the isolators/slippers. Didn't realize it was all that. I hope they can do something with it? That front side is spread from rust after all these years being broke loose. I hope they can just put two top leafs in, clean up the rust and reclamp it. The rear portion is well oiled LOL!!

Larry

This interesting set up with riveted pads looks strangly familiar to me.

Because I worked out the same stuff in my army truck.

Those rivets didn't make a trouble because were not straight through rivets. Each pad fixed to its own leaf.

I had one broken leaf in one spring in the "project" truck and planned originally to change it.

But when I bought the "spare" truck I first realized to not change one leaf but whole the spring.

And next I resolved to change them springs both to keek them off the same vehicle.

post-3971-0-10709600-1395693262_thumb.jp

post-3971-0-78223000-1395693292_thumb.jp

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I hope to get the spring back this week(so they say). Anyone have the torque specs for the U bolts? I got my hands on a 600ft/lb torque wrench, so I hope that covers it. Or I will have to come up with a torque multiplier too?

Larry

Thanks, I don't recall what size they are off the top of my head presently.

I can now see why my 3/4" impact whipped them off without too much effort. All the oil/grease drenched all over them likely helped too LOL! They were NOT all dry and rusty!!

Larry

Ok, we're back to good again. That was quite the ordeal. I started on it just after 9pm last night and by 11:30pm it was all but finished. Getting the torque wrench this afternoon to pull the ubolts down properly. Could just run'm down with the 3/4" impact? They are 3/4" bolts, so only need 350lb/ft.

Once I got the spring slid back under the truck an over the axle I tried to get it into the rear perch. Nope, nadda, ain't fit'n. Seems the springs are just over 3" wide and the opening is 3.000. Had to get the small angle grinder out and thin it up a touch(like .040) and it slipped in. Had to polish up the pin hole in the frame bracket so I could slip the pin in easier without having to mash it with a hammer. Then I went to work on the front. Ugh, more headaches. I found some longer bolts to help hold the lower cover aligned so I could use my bottle jack to press it together. Took some wiggle'n but got it down and tightened. I have it sitting on a block of wood so the spring will settle some. It doesn't look like it will be too cattywompus as the lower leafs are what give it the arch and they are the originals. Once I get the wheel on I will remeasure and check against what it was before I started.

All I can say is thank gawd for ALEVE!!!! LOL! My lower back and legs were pretty ragged from crouching under that fender for a few hours. That along with working on tearing into my sister mustang to put a clutch in it the last few nights too. Did I mention I hate new cars LOL!! I like my old stuff, lots of room to work!

Larry