New Mack Logo

The etech certainly wasn't macks best. My dad bought a ch tractor brand new in 2000. 460xt. It had descent power but they had the torque cut back in low gear so when loaded sometimes ttaking off on steep hill the truck would die . Couple times he had to gave a diesel Ford pickup hook up to him and it gave just enough to get up the hill. Pretty sad for a 487hp engine.

Our E-tech has been trouble free from macks part at least.... all the problems we had were (7) turbos and (5) air compressors. It dropped a valve seat at 375,000 I think and we put 2 rebuilt heads on but everything else was still very good. Had a problem with the jake that Mack fixed by putting a high pressure oil pump on. Truck has 450,000 on it now and pulls the same as the day we bought it in 2000. Good truck besides turbos and tranny.... the turbo n it now is supposedly the "fix" and the tranny still is doing that sane thing as it did form the factory jumping outa gear.

• Like 1

Matt

Yeah really they weren't that bad . I'm running the 460xt in my CL glider that came in the 2000 ch tractor that got totaled in 03. Its had 3 turbos one new cam an inframe overhaul at 24000 hours. It still has 2 original eup's its only had one set of injectors changed. We just did a head gasket . It had the head bolts break a few years ago. Its had 5 or 6 Horton fan hubs go. The water pump housing cracked a few times . In total has 33000 hrs on the block now.

Our E-tech has been trouble free from macks part at least.... all the problems we had were (7) turbos and (5) air compressors. It dropped a valve seat at 375,000 I think and we put 2 rebuilt heads on but everything else was still very good. Had a problem with the jake that Mack fixed by putting a high pressure oil pump on. Truck has 450,000 on it now and pulls the same as the day we bought it in 2000. Good truck besides turbos and tranny.... the turbo n it now is supposedly the "fix" and the tranny still is doing that sane thing as it did form the factory jumping outa gear.

How many of those trucks do you have? I'm running about 30 (give or take a few ) but if I had 5 or 10 of those I'd be outta business!! Just for Ghit an Siggles I have or had 4 Classic's with Cat Acert 475 duel torque motors I will be trading them in soon (3 left) one sucked a valve cause of Cats poor design rocker assem. you know the one they sent out a bult.on the one year ext. warn. if the rocker failed in one year of the notice it would be warnt. but they would not change it if it did not fail????? HELLOW MRS LUBNER ARE U IN THERE!!!! well mine failed and took the head cam and turbos (2) another Cat brain storm after about 14 months........ So I went to Cat for some help and basicaly got the the door shut on me!! Annnnd if you get 4 mpg on these pigs u are lucky! I think a Cat Reman motor is close to 30K plus the core and my core is NG so u park the PIG and build a power glider with a 575 14 liter Detroit!! I did have a sign made that sits over the garage (I'll have to post it) that reads NO Cat people only ones with 4 legs ones with 2 legs will be beat up an fed to the junkyard dogs stay OUT!!

BULLHUSK

What is a 575 Detroit? I'm guessing a non egr series 60 14 liter ? I know they only made them a yr or 2 .

Non egr 550 & 575 1850 lb ft of torque, I'm getting better then 6 mpg with them 13 double O with 4.10 rears running on 11R24.5's they pull better then any of the new ones and no DEF or PT Mufflers to deal with! just gotta find a truck built with that motor so u can feed the info to W-Star so they know how to drill and wire the truck

BULLHUSK

I've ran the first of the 400 h.p. electronic E-7's and they were a damn good reliable motor. But then I got a brand new 2000 CH, 460 E-7 70" midrise. Pulled walking floor chip trailers grossing over 140,000 pounds. It came home on a tow truck usually twice a week. Cooked 2 air compressors right off the bat because of the casting sand problem plugging that little cooling line for the compressor. Then it had electronic faults constantly that they never ever could fix. It would have no power, then the next hill it would pull like a train, then go dead again, etc. Then it would shutoff and restart going down the highway. Then it dropped a valve. Then the cam, then injectors, etc.

The truck itself was very good though, but it was the reason I switched brands in 2005. I was afraid of E-7 Assets.

But I guess I know why now, now that you-know-who explained Volvo was at fault back then too. :notworthy:

• Like 1

We run both Bullhusk......2012 Coronado SD with 600 Cummins and 2013 Star 4900. The Mexican built Coronado probably has a bit better build quality than the Star. Lots of flaws in the Star. (maybe built on a bad day?) The FL is lighter as you say, but you can tell. Stuff such as the doors, etc all are less rigid feeling. It's been holding up well on/off road though.

Keep the hydraulic cylinders for the hood lubed good.....they are the only reoccurring problem we have with them. They bind and snap off.

I love the new Detroit's. Running both DD13 and DD15's. The 13 is awesome on fuel and strong up to about 1400 RPM, then it goes flat. The 15 is also very good on fuel and pulls very nice. No issues at all, except the rear mounted air compressor will make you hate life when your air freezes up in the winter.

I hated the ISX600. Didn't like the feel at all and thought it was the nature of the beast. But we recently got some updates done and now it runs just like a Cat. (same type of throttle response, not super touchy anymore and pulls stronger) Uses less DEF fluid than the Detroit, but regens more.

I would never even dream of having KS admit to Mack making errors in judgment before Volvo rule.....

The 60 series was a great engine (till EGR, lol.) and it was a shame how Mack made the CL so expensive when you wanted to spec Detroit power. I know of about 8 CL's with 60's that made it up to the Toronto area with a few still going.

I will admit we have all asked a lot of Mack's 12 liter engines hauling gross weights over 120,000lbs.

When I was wrenching at John Grant We also had the casting sand problem in half a dozen trucks before the service bulletin was released. (the plastic airline to the compressor head for the Gov. would melt first) We also had 2 E-tech blocks that had oversized bores for the EUP's. They wouldn't seal the fuel rail bore to EUP.(Mack attempted multiple o-ring sizes) Mack had to replace 2 blocks on a 15 truck order before the trucks would fill the pans with fuel within a week of delivery.

We always had at least 120 Macks in the fleet at one time. When we had E7's and E-techs it was clear which ones were on the road every day and which ones were at the dealer for more warranty work. The Freightliners with Series 60 made our Mack's look bad for a while.

bbigrig, thanks for your opinion on the MP-8 445. I was surprised to hear you say that about Allison's though. Quite a few around here in dump and plow applications with high miles that are still going.

I also had a similar experience to what you mentioned in one of the threads regarding the old E-7's. Ran a CL with a 454 (dump/pony, 140,000 gross) and it wouldn't pull. Derated it to a 427 and it pulled stronger and better on fuel.

• Like 1

I work in a fleet that is full of Allison's these days.............(Ugh) They aren't bad until you have to pay to fix them or overhaul them. The option is quite an upcharge and my dog salesman tells me auto shifts and Allison's have the same resale issues here. I would love to spec them for my city tractors but cant justify the upfront cost and the loss in resale. Clutches are cheaper in the life span of my trucks.

I am going to stick my neck out as a fleet owner and mechanic to point out something I noticed in Canada that had to do with a huge loss in Mack market share up in the great white north.....

MACK ENGINES of the 90's and on.....

The original E7 did very well here and sales of CH and others climbed where fleets that would not normally look at Mack had to start to admit that E7 was a good motor.

Although there is no comparison to the E6 R-model days of market share there was a glimmer of hope in sales here as Mack was offering a fairly reliable unit that companies and owner operators could rely and profit from. The E9 has been beaten to death here in this thread, so onward......

I can remember between 1998-2000 and on where the E-Tech was rolled out, many Canadian customers were still buying and ordering under the reliability and reputation of the E7. The crossover to E-tech would see their brand new trucks go down within 100,000kms for camshafts, oil coolers etc. Some with multiple cams being installed. Even KS's stats for market gain runs with E7 production and shares fall 1.5 years after E-tech roll out. (Imagine that!)

Reliability went out the window and so did customer satisfaction up here. I was Lead hand tech at a company that has close ties to Mack Canada since the 60's and couldn't believe having to send 1 to 2 trucks a week back to the dealer for the squeak from Cam issues etc. We would order and trade in 25 Macks every year. I then moved on to Bison Transport in 2001 where we had over 800 Volvos (VE powered) with a mix of Kenworth and Freightliners to round out the fleet. To my excitement, Bison ordered 30 Mack Visions and I watched every one of them fall flat on there face in fuel economy, pulling power, and reliability.(Most needing Cam's in the first 2 years of operation) Those 30 Visions were all flogged off in the first 3 years of operation as the worst test order I've ever witnessed and Bison ever took delivery of. They still run Volvo with Volvo power today.

The ASET was another disappointment I would rather not get into.

Sure Volvo poured more into there own powertrain R and D in that time period. I would love to see what other engine designs that Mack engineers were working on that Volvo may have forced them to pass on during the transition.

Until I get to see these ideas or designs, I will be left with the factual crap that Mack put out for all those years since the E7. Basically add ons to the E-Tech block design that Mack unveiled years before Volvo.

I'm glad Volvo installed the D series engine design into the Mack chassis. MP has its issues but in economy, reliability and resale it already has surpassed my ex ASET and E-tech powered Mack's in every category except not being of a Mack design.

The ASET's I had almost lost me as a customer looking to run my fleet in the black.

But due to a degenerative Mack gene in my family, I stuck it out.

I'm still glad I did and proved to myself the rewards of being loyal to a product and people that has had a HUGE impact on my past and now my future.

Today with my Macks OLD and NEW, things are looking up and forward. Not down and backwards.........

Some customers operating E7 E-Tech engines encountered issues, but certainly not all. Some camshaft problems, due to an H-ring caused lifter misalignment condition*, were an unacceptable inconvenience to the customer. The E-Tech was popular with many customers. In fact, the E7-460XT made quite a name for itself.

The E-Tech “EUP” (Electronic Unit Pump) version of the Mack E7 engine featured Bosch’s widely used “PLD” electronically-controlled high pressure (up to 1800 Bar) unit injector pumps. Fuel injection is controlled by a high speed solenoid valve controlled by the engine control module.

A Bosch supply pump (ZP6) is gear-driven directly from the engine camshaft. To meet the EUP fuel flow demands, fuel flow (454 liters/hour) and pressures (6.2 - 7.5 Bar) are much higher than previous systems. The additional fuel flow helps to cool the EUP while the higher pressure ensures the gallery is full.

The nozzle and holder assembly is similar to past engines, but has a more robust 22mm design to withstand the higher fuel pressures involved, and has a non-return valve at the inlet.

The E7 E-Tech is an E7 with unit pump injection. The adoption of EUP wasn’t a Renault influence. From 1995, the whole industry was migrating to Bosch unit pump injection. Just as, from 2007 to reach Euro-5 (near EPA2007), the industry migrated to higher pressure common rail, and extra-high pressure common rail for Euro-6 (near EPA2010).

My only regret is that common rail injection wasn’t yet available in the 1990s. The Euro-4 (near EPA2004) engines sold today in year 2014 (many countries today are Euro-4 or less) utilize Bosch common rail with SCR, a very straightforward, trouble-free and high-performing solution.

FYI: While we say EUP, Bosch refers to it as UPS (Unit Pump System).

Little Known Facts: The Mack E7 E-Tech, when installed in the Renault Magnum tractor, carried the Renault engine designation MIDR 06.24.65.

http://renault-magnum.ru/manual/2-1.pdf

http://renault-magnum.ru/manual/2-2.pdf

* http://hr.mckenzietank.com/maint/Bulletins/45-SB213034.pdf

http://hr.mckenzietank.com/maint/Bulletins/45-sb213006.pdf

http://hr.mckenzietank.com/maint/Bulletins/45-sb213033.pdf

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/7734-e-7-lifter-h-ring/

How many of those trucks do you have? I'm running about 30 (give or take a few ) but if I had 5 or 10 of those I'd be outta business!! Just for Ghit an Siggles I have or had 4 Classic's with Cat Acert 475 duel torque motors I will be trading them in soon (3 left) one sucked a valve cause of Cats poor design rocker assem. you know the one they sent out a bult.on the one year ext. warn. if the rocker failed in one year of the notice it would be warnt. but they would not change it if it did not fail????? HELLOW MRS LUBNER ARE U IN THERE!!!! well mine failed and took the head cam and turbos (2) another Cat brain storm after about 14 months........ So I went to Cat for some help and basicaly got the the door shut on me!! Annnnd if you get 4 mpg on these pigs u are lucky! I think a Cat Reman motor is close to 30K plus the core and my core is NG so u park the PIG and build a power glider with a 575 14 liter Detroit!! I did have a sign made that sits over the garage (I'll have to post it) that reads NO Cat people only ones with 4 legs ones with 2 legs will be beat up an fed to the junkyard dogs stay OUT!!

BULLHUSK

Luckily is was our only one. Replaced 2 DMs with this and another steel nose DM we did over. Looks like its going to need air compressor #6 now as it takes forever to build air if its not warm. Tranny still has the same problem till this day that mack didnt want to know anything about. Tried sticking us with a bill for 3K and they never questioned why we didn't pay it.....duh. Over all its a very good motor just had some issues. Good thing we had other old macks that could support it.

• Like 1

Matt

I'm glad to see you kept the E-tech/Mack engineering defense to a minimum.

There are only 2 engines I know of in North American use that tried EUP's in the late 90's

Mack E-Tech and MBE (Series 55 Detroit shouldn't count LOL) CAT, Cummins Volvo and Detroit went overhead cam and unit injectors and lasted for almost 2 decades.

I am very familiar with todays Bosch common rail with CP3-4 Bosch fuel pump systems on Cummins power plants. They have lots of issues of there own with injectors, feed nozzles, pump control solenoids, cracked rails etc. The common rail has more components then unit injector design which makes it more costly to service and more components to test when fuel issues arise. At this point most unit injector fuel systems are running at almost the same injector tip outlet pressures as common rail counter parts.

Both with pros and Cons. Pick your poison.

dont try to get him to blame anyone but Volvo. It wont happen. Dont you know Volvo makes the worst engines compared to Detroit scania or even international maxx junk according to kscarbel . Even though the guys that run the mp like them for the most part they are actually bottom of the barel junk according to this man

My friend, please don't twist my words. I have said that Volvo makes a descent engine, though certainly not in the same league as Scania. I never said or insinuated that Volvo's powerplants were "bottom of the barrel".

I did say, and will say again, that Volvo should call a spade a spade and stop rebadging the Volvo D-Series engines as a Mack product. Volvo Powertrain does not produce pedigreed engines.

I also said the MAN D20 and D26, from which the license-built MaxxForce 11 and 13 are based, are superb engines. Ask anyone in the global market.

Navistar made major changes (deviations) to their license-built versions, employing Massive EGR (MEGR) with absurdly high EGR rates from 35% to 50%, in an attempt to meet EPA2010. Engine performance and durability, for reasons obvious to everyone but Dan Ustian, suffered.

Now Navistar is falling back on SCR, the proven technology of today. Though Navistar is using a Cummins-designed SCR solution rather than MAN's SCR technology, I expect the MAN-based Navistar MaxxForce 11 and 13 in SCR form will perform near or equal to their German relatives.

We run both Bullhusk......2012 Coronado SD with 600 Cummins and 2013 Star 4900. The Mexican built Coronado probably has a bit better build quality than the Star. Lots of flaws in the Star. (maybe built on a bad day?) The FL is lighter as you say, but you can tell. Stuff such as the doors, etc all are less rigid feeling. It's been holding up well on/off road though.

Keep the hydraulic cylinders for the hood lubed good.....they are the only reoccurring problem we have with them. They bind and snap off.

I love the new Detroit's. Running both DD13 and DD15's. The 13 is awesome on fuel and strong up to about 1400 RPM, then it goes flat. The 15 is also very good on fuel and pulls very nice. No issues at all, except the rear mounted air compressor will make you hate life when your air freezes up in the winter.

I hated the ISX600. Didn't like the feel at all and thought it was the nature of the beast. But we recently got some updates done and now it runs just like a Cat. (same type of throttle response, not super touchy anymore and pulls stronger) Uses less DEF fluid than the Detroit, but regens more.

Thank You for the info on the DD 13! Would you opt out for the DD 15? Instead? I am a power nut an like to see my trucks first over the hill! But in today's world I have to think about the dollar cause its slim pickings out there!! I have had no issues with the Stars they remind me of the Autocars an the old R-Mack but they are steel cabs and are heavier then the Coronado's these will be my first ones I always bought Classics and they are working well my oldest Classic is my 1994 that I bought new from Brooklyn Freightliner with a 12.7 470 Detroit!! So we will see how the Coronado's do

Thanks Again for your imput

BULLHUSK

Depends on how much weight you are hauling and the grades you are running Bullhusk. Another company in my town is pulling dump ponies at 140,000 with the 450 DD13 and corner to corner it will run with a 460 E-7. But as the grade gets bigger the 460 will pull away.

They are phenomenal on fuel which is very important now a days. Like I said, I find them almost equal to the DD15 up to about 1400 rpm, then it's game over.

But if you are a power nut like you say, I guess I'd go with the DD15 or 16. Still better on fuel than our ISX.

You'll be happy with the Coronado. I don't find the headlights very good though compared to other trucks.

Depends on how much weight you are hauling and the grades you are running Bullhusk. Another company in my town is pulling dump ponies at 140,000 with the 450 DD13 and corner to corner it will run with a 460 E-7. But as the grade gets bigger the 460 will pull away.

They are phenomenal on fuel which is very important now a days. Like I said, I find them almost equal to the DD15 up to about 1400 rpm, then it's game over.

But if you are a power nut like you say, I guess I'd go with the DD15 or 16. Still better on fuel than our ISX.

You'll be happy with the Coronado. I don't find the headlights very good though compared to other trucks.

I think I'm gonna stay with the DD13 on the new trucks and keep with the 515 12.7 and the 550 575 14 liter non EGR with the Glider Kits haulin 80,000 gross but we are in the hills of upstate NY & PA also I am specing them with 3.90 and not the 3.34 that they tell u to go with. My new W-Star with the DD 15 505 hp has those 3.34 rears and it is not good on the hills! They tell u not to shift it and bring it down to 1100 but RPM'S are speed so you are pulling and still have the torque but u are pulling the hill slower! BUTTTT this is how u save fuel and that is what is most Impt. in todays world

Regards

BULLHUSK

Some customers operating E7 E-Tech engines encountered issues, but certainly not all. Some camshaft problems, due to an H-ring caused lifter misalignment condition*, were an unacceptable inconvenience to the customer. The E-Tech was popular with many customers. In fact, the E7-460XT made quite a name for itself.

The E-Tech EUP (Electronic Unit Pump) version of the Mack E7 engine featured Boschs widely used PLD electronically-controlled high pressure (up to 1800 Bar) unit injector pumps. Fuel injection is controlled by a high speed solenoid valve controlled by the engine control module.

A Bosch supply pump (ZP6) is gear-driven directly from the engine camshaft. To meet the EUP fuel flow demands, fuel flow (454 liters/hour) and pressures (6.2 - 7.5 Bar) are much higher than previous systems. The additional fuel flow helps to cool the EUP while the higher pressure ensures the gallery is full.

The nozzle and holder assembly is similar to past engines, but has a more robust 22mm design to withstand the higher fuel pressures involved, and has a non-return valve at the inlet.

The E7 E-Tech is an E7 with unit pump injection. The adoption of EUP wasnt a Renault influence. From 1995, the whole industry was migrating to Bosch unit pump injection. Just as, from 2007 to reach Euro-5 (near EPA2007), the industry migrated to higher pressure common rail, and extra-high pressure common rail for Euro-6 (near EPA2010).

My only regret is that common rail injection wasnt yet available in the 1990s. The Euro-4 (near EPA2004) engines sold today in year 2014 (many countries today are Euro-4 or less) utilize Bosch common rail with SCR, a very straightforward, trouble-free and high-performing solution.

Little Known Facts: The Mack E7 E-Tech, when installed in the Renault Magnum tractor, carried the Renault engine designation MIDR 06.24.65.

The E-Tech EUP (Electronic Unit Pump) version of the Mack E7 engine featured Boschs widely used PLD electronically-controlled high pressure (up to 1800 Bar) unit injector pumps. Fuel injection is controlled by a high speed solenoid valve controlled by the engine control module.

The E7 E-Tech is an E7 with unit pump injection. The adoption of EUP wasnt a Renault influence. From 1995, the whole industry was migrating to Bosch unit pump injection. Just as, from 2007 to reach Euro-5 (near EPA2007), the industry migrated to higher pressure common rail, and extra-high pressure common rail for Euro-6 (near EPA2010).

My only regret is that common rail injection wasnt yet available in the 1990s. The Euro-4 (near EPA2004) engines sold today in year 2014 (many countries today are Euro-4 or less) utilize Bosch common rail with SCR, a very straightforward, trouble-free and high-performing solution.