New Mack Logo

That 10 liter was a Renault design. The v8 was gone from from North America in late 98 and by that time was out of date compared to cat and Cummins big bore 6 cylinder engines because Renault didn't update it

Yes, to meet the needs of the low volume "baby 8" segment, Mack wisely outsourced with the ETZ477/E4-210 (Scania DS8) and EM5-250/290 (Renault MIDR 06.20.45). There's a word for how that was handled - smart.

Your gonna say Mack had a etch v8 planned for 2003. Lol . Ive heard it before. It was to little to to late as Mack had already lost the heavy haul market by the time the v8 would of been relaunched.

I'm very proud to let my fellow Americans know that Mack Trucks had planned to re-launch the E9 V-8 in 2003 with Bosch electronic unit pump (EUP) injection, a revision that would have allowed Mack's legendary powerplant to meet EPA2004 and EPA2007 emissions standards. And like its relative, the Euro-6 Scania DC16 V-8, the Mack E9 could have been upgraded to high pressive common rail fuel injection to meet EPA2010 emissions.

Volvo cancelled the relaunch of the Mack E9 V-8 because they wanted to use their own upcoming D16, and not because the Mack E-9 couldn't be made emissions compliant.

Sir, would you please tell me what you find humorous about Mack's intention to relaunch the E9 V-8? I take your "LOL" remark as an insult against the former Mack Trucks.

For you to say that "Mack had already lost the heavy haul market by the time" is merely your opinion.

Had Volvo not terminated the V-8 relaunch, I am confident that Mack would have quickly recaptured any lost market share (as you allege) in the heavy haulage segment (following the E9's brief departure) and once again had the entire U.S. V-8 market segment all to themselves.

As much as you admire foreign truckmaker Volvo, I'm at a loss as to why you purchased the Mack-branded Titan instead of the real McCoy, the Volvo-branded VNX (the VNX and Titan are the same truck with different cabs). You then could bask in the guiding light of the Volvo nameplate everyday. I understand the Volvo-branded VNX even includes a complimentary Volvo prayer rug and a compass to ensure you are facing Gothenburg during your noon devotions.

Your gonna say Mack had a etch v8 planned for 2003. Lol . Ive heard it before. It was to little to to late as Mack had already lost the heavy haul market by the time the v8 would of been relaunched.

The 16.4 liter Mack-Scania V-8 is still very much with us of course.

Perhaps over time, when you are ready for the responsibility that serious power requires, you may move up from your D16 to a high-end powerplant - the Scania DC16 V-8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPK9PyenTtc&list=PL2E544D75CCFF281D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEVLrFB5uVk&list=PL_pZGFQt5xztRS5lbCQi3DbPrbG2Ms6B5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAtVDmK55S4&list=PL_pZGFQt5xztRS5lbCQi3DbPrbG2Ms6B5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CvwcMGqlZY&list=PL_pZGFQt5xztRS5lbCQi3DbPrbG2Ms6B5

• Like 1

So what motor is Renault running in there Magnum V-8 trucks today? Scania??

BULLHUSK

In 2012, Renault sold its remaining stake in Volvo Group (Renault came to own Volvo shares stemming from a failed merger attempt).

Thus today, both the Mack and Renault "brands" belong to Volvo Group.

Originally launched in 1990, Volvo terminated production of the unusual looking but popular Renault "Magnum" heavy tractor in 2013.

Volvo has replaced the Magnum with the new Renault-branded "T" Series, which is the recently launched second generation Volvo FH with different (and very unattractive) front fascia. Unlike the Magnum it replaces which was available with the Mack V-8 for many years, the "T" series is only offered with Volvo D11 and D13 engines (rebadged as DTI 11 and DTI 13) rated from 380hp to 520hp. The Volvo D16 is not available.

http://www.renault-trucks.co.uk/t/

FYI: http://corporate.renault-trucks.com/media/document/DP-pdf/dp_magnum_20_ans_en.pdf

EE9-500 16.36 500 @ 1,900 2,000 N.m @ 1,300 Europe – Renault Magnum AE500

EE9-520 16.36 520 @ 1,900 2,250 N.m @ 1,300 Europe – Renault Magnum AE520

EE9-530 16.36 530 @ 1,900 2,250 N.m @ 1,300 Europe – Renault Magnum AE530

EE9-560 16.36 560 @ 1,900 2,450 N.m @ 1,300 Europe – Renault Magnum AE560

Perhaps over time, when you are ready for the responsibility that serious power requires, you may move up from your D16 to a high-end powerplant - the Scania DC16 V-8.

I don't think people realize that the E-9 is still very much alive in Europe!! I could remember talking to Joe Cambria back in the day about Mack bringing on the new V8 Electronic engine....It never came..gee wiz I wounderin Y???

BULLHUSK

I didn't know scania sold trucks in United States? Lol

Also dont insult me or our trucks that we work 6 or 7 days a week in that were proud to have.I drove a Mack superliner with an e9 for 3 yrs . We would have bought Mack v8 trucks in 2000 but they weren't available so we got etech460. You cant buy something thats not available .the time came to update our fleet so Mack titan was the choice . They perform as well or better than other comparable trucks out there today. If you can sell us a scania v8 powered truck in America maybe we would try one.

Until you can prove you were in a position that was more "in the know" than Mr. McKenna (a guy who was there and involved with engines during the times we are discussing), I have to go with his assessment of the E9 departure, even if you say things are "fact".

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/14912-end-of-the-v8-and-increased-titan-sales/

You are a wealth of awesome knowledge but I cant believe a mystery man over a guy who I have met and was actually part of the decision.

• Like 2

Until you can prove you were in a position that was more "in the know" than Mr. McKenna (a guy who was there and involved with engines during the times we are discussing), I have to go with his assessment of the E9 departure, even if you say things are "fact".

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/14912-end-of-the-v8-and-increased-titan-sales/

You are a wealth of awesome knowledge but I cant believe a mystery man over a guy who I have met and was actually part of the decision.

My friend, it's good to catch up with you again. If I may, I have two yes or no questions I'd like to run by you.

Do you feel that the acquisition of Mack Trucks by a foreign truckmaker was good for America?

Do you feel the dominance of America's truck industry by foreign truckmakers is in the best interest of the United States?

I have no problem with Dave McKenna. He's an old Mack guy trying to mouth the Volvo party line and hang in there until retirement. He's at that age where job changing isn't an attractive option.

But Dave made his opinion about Volvo's termination of the Mack V-8 relaunch crystal clear when he said "I didn't like the decision then and frankly still don't like it now." My friend, that pretty much says it all.

I note that you often don't have your facts right. Two examples, the first of course is the fact that emissions did not kill the Mack E9 V-8, Rather it was Volvo terminating the project to upgrade the E9 to meet the new emissions. And you think Volvo acquired Mack in 2001 when it was 2000. You should recall that down in Greensboro.

MackLegacy: "You guys hit on the right answer related to emissions killing the E9. Volvo didn't have anything to do with the decision as it was made in 1998ish and Volvo did not buy Mack/Renault until 2001. One important reason was left out and that is the volume of V8s produced. Could the E9 have been made compliant? Of course, anything can be done given time and money. The unfortunate part is that the astronomical costs to do so would never have been offset by the number of E9s that were sold"

The emissions and production volume statement was/is Volvo's official company line excuse (because Volvo wanted to use its upcoming Swedish D16 instead). Sure, Volvo doesn't know how to execute like Scania. But even under Volvo, Mack "legacy" engineers could have put the new E9 into production and it would be selling today like the Euro-6 (EPA2010) Scania DC16 V-8. Or are you and Volvo admitting that Scania is a more efficient and capable organization?

Don't know where you get your info kscarbel.....but every industry publication I've ever read had the E9 terminated before Volvo came into the picture. And it was wrote that it was the price to develop it to the new emissions standards that killed it.....not that it couldn't be done. It was cheaper to shelve it and go Cummins at the time.

But if you know different than maybe you are correct. After all everything we read on the internet is absolutely true, LOL.

• Like 2

Great news for all the Volvo haters. I'm glad to announce that I am now going into the truck manufacturing business!

I've recruited a group of American investors to spearhead my new firm. We have opened a factory adjacent to the White House in Washington, DC. (what can be more patriotic than that?) It will be powered by a cloned Scania V8. And since the Bulldog hood ornament has already been trademarked, we will use the one pictured here....middle age man walking a Komondor.

We are currently accepting orders and resumes. Thank You.

post-2303-0-37120400-1394817995_thumb.jp

post-2303-0-62141700-1394818020_thumb.jp

The point I try to make with kscarbel about the e9 is that it was discontinued in late 98 for North American trucks. He claims Mack trucks was designing a EPA 04 compliant v8 but Volvo killed it.my point is why did Mack not update the e9 long before Volvo took over and end up having to stop making it. By 98 the e9 was on paper behind cat and Cummins in hp torque and engine brake power. It should have been updated in the mid 90s

Love it!! :)

Great news for all the Volvo haters. I'm glad to announce that I am now going into the truck manufacturing business!
I've recruited a group of American investors to spearhead my new firm. We have opened a factory adjacent to the White House in Washington, DC. (what can be more patriotic than that?) It will be powered by a cloned Scania V8. And since the Bulldog hood ornament has already been trademarked, we will use the one pictured here....middle age man walking a Komondor.
We are currently accepting orders and resumes. Thank You.

What was the last year the E9 was offered in a CL And what was the last year it was offered in a boat? If I recall those were the only state side options for an E9 at the end of its run. I also recall that the Aussie had them a few years longer then us?

I figured it was put Down because of low sales of the CL

Mackdaddy.....The comment about Mack out of heavy haul.. Very few heavy haul lowboy trucks here in Chicago are Mack. Everyone went to Paccar with their options of 500+ HP engines after the superliners ended. A few people bought the CL but i can count them on one hand. Sure we have plenty of tandem axel Mack's pulling 2 or 3 axel lowboys but all the big stuff is on the back of off breed trucks now. Kinda sad as I do feel Mack gave that market away. The Titan,last I checked was over priced for a day cab and lacked options for the over the road heavy haul guy. You can't get a sleeper on them? Big issue if your stuck out on I-80 for a few days waiting for a permit or wind to calm down.... I was at the con expo when the Titan was first put on show and I asked the Mack rep why no sleeper option... He had a hard time trying to cover that and agreed it was not smart. His line was it will be offered soon....that was how long ago tho?

Just my .02

99 model year was the last e9 truck engines in n. America and actually the cl was made until 2007 . From 2000 thru 2002 you could get a cl with e7 orcCummins signature/isx . In 2003 they made only Cummins isx powered cl.

• Like 1

They also made cl gliders up until 07. The last 2 trucks we purchased beforethe titans were cl gliders set up for e7 power. one 04 and one 07. The 07 is one of the last cl 's ever made . They made about 5 or 10 gliders at the end of the run for the cl.atleast 1 was set up for e9 power. So somewhere theres a 2007 cl with with a e9.

My friend, it's good to catch up with you again. If I may, I have two yes or no questions I'd like to run by you.

Do you feel that the acquisition of Mack Trucks by a foreign truckmaker was good for America?

Do you feel the dominance of America's truck industry by foreign truckmakers is in the best interest of the United States?

You blame everything on Volvo. Where were the Mack leaders when Volvo was making all these back door deals? Someone was sleeping at their post.

Complacency kills

What was the last year the E9 was offered in a CL And what was the last year it was offered in a boat? If I recall those were the only state side options for an E9 at the end of its run. I also recall that the Aussie had them a few years longer then us?

I figured it was put Down because of low sales of the CL

Mackdaddy.....The comment about Mack out of heavy haul.. Very few heavy haul lowboy trucks here in Chicago are Mack. Everyone went to Paccar with their options of 500+ HP engines after the superliners ended. A few people bought the CL but i can count them on one hand. Sure we have plenty of tandem axel Mack's pulling 2 or 3 axel lowboys but all the big stuff is on the back of off breed trucks now. Kinda sad as I do feel Mack gave that market away. The Titan,last I checked was over priced for a day cab and lacked options for the over the road heavy haul guy. You can't get a sleeper on them? Big issue if your stuck out on I-80 for a few days waiting for a permit or wind to calm down.... I was at the con expo when the Titan was first put on show and I asked the Mack rep why no sleeper option... He had a hard time trying to cover that and agreed it was not smart. His line was it will be offered soon....that was how long ago tho?

Just my .02

Ya want a largecar kinda truck like a Mack Titan with a sleeper?? Do ya think Volvo wasn't smart?? Don't kid yourselves guys If you want a truck like that there gonna sell you a Volvo!! Look all you guys that like the Mack Volvo deal I myself don't see a thing wrong with it at all!! But I'm gonna tell ya this, Volvo will not put a integral or any other kind of factory sleeper on in the USA Titan cause it will destroy the Volvo road tractor and they know what a beautiful tough lookin truck it would be!! And they will not out shine there Volvo!! And I'll say it again if not for USA Mack's great great reputation in the truck building business (better then anything they ever had) they would have closed Mack like they closed the other USA truck makers in this country! So when you say that it's a good thing that they kept Mack in the US you are spot on!! But think about all the jobs that were lost when the closed Autocar White-GMC Trucks Just my opinion I'm not Volvo bashing It's just the way I see it through my eyes

BULLHUSK

Lmackattack,

I made that comment with tongue in cheek as it is obvious the talent and engineering exists to make a serious heavy haul truck as they do it in Australia. For whatever reasons they decided not to here in the US. You are right as most all Mack construction fleets in the west had a CL with the V8 on lowboy but Paccar filled the gap now. OC Jones in SF bay area still has a CL running a lowboy but the other day I saw a new Pete pulling for them. At one time even their service rigs were all Mack. I am sure their CL is on it's way out because of emissions in CA too.

• Like 1

I think the CL never caught on was because it was only offered as a set back axle. Can't blame V!$#Vo for that. It certainly didn't catch on for over the road big power. The

CH had a forward axle but no big power. Thus the heavy haul and long haul was lost. :bulldog3: You can only blame Mack for that.

• Like 1

Mack was strong up until the 90's There product offering in the 90's really hurt them. Then came the vision in the era of the bad engines. The Granite got off to a good start but then

the bad engines slowed them down. they are making somewhat of a comeback now but Volvo won't let them really take off like say in Aussie Land.

• Like 1