Something I KNOW you can help me with!

Go to solution Solved by doubleclutchinweasel,

Would one of you fine gentlemen with a 673 do me a favor?

I need to see some close up pictures of the details of the fuel shut off & throttle cables where they connect to the fuel pump.

My shut off cable is functional, but sort of cobbled. The throttle cable is broken.

I want to get all the mounting & attachment details cleaned up, but don't have any pictures of the original "factory" setup.

Thanks!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

My truck is in storage without easy access.

Maybe this will help.

Any way I could get you to take another close-up shot, focused directly on the cable ends and sheaths?

I see where the throttle cable comes in, but can't tell exactly how it attaches!

I think my shutoff cable is a generic, and maybe the end of the sheath isn't "original". They just stuck the sheath in the clamp, and sorta' wedged it there. The wire is connected fine, and it works fine.

My throttle cable is completely hosed. It's broken off several inches from the firewall. I figured that gizmo on the throttle rod was the attachment point. But, for the life of me, I can't tell how it's supposed to connect...or work, for that matter.

Thanks again.

My truck is buried and can't get to it. This is a picture of another truck from Macungie. Enlarging it looses the detail.

Larry's is much better.

The cables go through the eyelets and a small barrel shape set screw secures it. The cable sheaths than are secured with a cable clamp to a bracket.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

My truck is buried and can't get to it. This is a picture of another truck from Macungie. Enlarging it looses the detail.

Larry's is much better.

The cables go through the eyelets and a small barrel shape set screw secures it. The cable sheaths than are secured with a cable clamp to a bracket.

This one actually helps a little bit.

It appears that, on the shutoff cable, the sheath has a "cap" or "ferrule" on the end of it, which is clamped in the bracket. Mine has no "cap" on it, and the sheath is merely wedged in the bracket. So, a cap would definitely help that one!

The throttle cable continues to elude me, however! It looks like the sheath is stuck into the bracket on the throttle rod. That makes no sense. It would seem the sheath would have to be fixed in space somewhere upstream, and the cable continue to that rod-mounted bracket. I figure I'm missing a part SOMEWHERE, but can't quite identify it.

Maybe more folks will chime in.

The hand throttle cable clamps to the left of the pump. Then then the cable goes THROUGH an eyelet on the throttle arm and an adjustable pin is slipped and clamped so that it does not contact the throttle when at idle(you can see the gap in mine). But when you pull the hand throttle, it pulls on the eyelet on the throttle arm.

The shut off works similarly, the cable is clamped like shown and the shut off arm has the clamp screw built into it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The hand throttle cable clamps to the left of the pump. Then then the cable goes THROUGH an eyelet on the throttle arm and an adjustable pin is slipped and clamped so that it does not contact the throttle when at idle(you can see the gap in mine). But when you pull the hand throttle, it pulls on the eyelet on the throttle arm.

The shut off works similarly, the cable is clamped like shown and the shut off arm has the clamp screw built into it.

There's the problem; I don't see any place to clamp the tube on mine. That's why I need to see the details on one similar to mine. Yours looks a little different.

In one pic, you can see the stop cable. If will fall through the clamp. So, somebody just wedged the tube in the split of the clamp. Maybe it needs an end of some kind?

In the other, you can see the slip-tube on the throttle linkage. But, there is no bracket on the air compressor (or anywhere) to lock the tube in place.

post-11199-0-21350300-1394231628_thumb.j

post-11199-0-03611500-1394231661_thumb.j

Yours should basically look like mine. I would get a new clamp for the shut off cable that will actually grip the casing. For the hand throttle just duplicate the bracket like mine and you should be good.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

looks like a sleeve was on the end, is it inside the mount? Short of replacing the cable see if you can loosen up the clamp and pull it up and retighten it, that's what I would do and see if that would stay, if the clamp wont hold it replace it or wrap some electrical tape around the end of the cable a few wraps would build it up to hold in the clamp. I would try those fixes first unless you have a replacement cable or that one is broken.

You can get a new cable for about $20.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

looks like a sleeve was on the end, is it inside the mount? Short of replacing the cable see if you can loosen up the clamp and pull it up and retighten it, that's what I would do and see if that would stay, if the clamp wont hold it replace it or wrap some electrical tape around the end of the cable a few wraps would build it up to hold in the clamp. I would try those fixes first unless you have a replacement cable or that one is broken.

You can get a new cable for about $20.

The shutoff cable has nothing on the end of the sleeve. It does look like it USED to have something on it. Currently, it is being retained by the narrow slot in the clamp. The round part of the clamp is considerably larger than the sleeve, which is why i think there may have been a ferrule or something on the end of it.

Incidentally, I found some cables fairly cheap on www.fortpro.com. Anybody know if these are any good?

• Solution

Oh...and would a length of rubber tubing (gas line, etc...) make a suitable "grommet" to take up the space between the sleeve and the bracket?

And, I would still like to see a close-up of somebody's throttle cable bracket.

Yep. Precisely what I did. The clamp now holds the stop cable.

The stud on the pump arm was worn the f#@k out. Almost falling through the arm. Of course, nothing to be found. So, I had to make my own. The hex piece is a coupling nut. There is a shouldered grade 8 screw in the back. It is tightened into the coupling nut firmly, & Loc-Tired. Then the wire hole is drilled through. Finally, the outside screw clamps the wire in place.

The washers on either side of the arm take up extra slack, but still leaves the assembly free to rotate in the arm.

Looks pretty good, I think.

post-11199-0-29570500-1394309823_thumb.j

post-11199-0-61150800-1394309848_thumb.j

• Like 1