'We're going to execute better than we've ever done,' new Mack president vows

kscarbel2

This February saw strong sales. Per commercial vehicle industry data publisher ACT Research, new orders for Class 8 trucks in February increased 30% from the same month last year.

Riding February’s class 8 sales wave, Volvo-brand truck North American deliveries rose 69% to 2,412 trucks, and Mack-branded Volvo deliveries rose 43% to 1,477.

From the data above, we can see that Volvo-brand North American truck sales were 64 percent higher than the Swedish truckmaker’s Mack-brand sales.

If the Mack-brand was even able to sell 1,477 trucks every month in 2014, that would only equate to 17,724 units for the entire year. In comparison, during the last full year of Mack Trucks in 1999, the company sold 34,264 units, nearly double that figure.

As many of you are seeing, the Volvo brand is clearly being promoted for highway applications, leaving the Mack brand to vocational (where the Mack brand is losing market share).

No doubt Olof Persson is delighted with North America’s newfound willingness to shift to Volvo-branded trucks, reassuring him that Volvo will successfully be able to migrate most of its Mack-brand market share over to Volvo in the future, as they did with White and GMC, and bring a close to this transaction.

• Like 1

I've never seen a truck manufacturer re-launch without a new product to drum up interest and sales to potential or current customers.

Non Mack customers have already turned their nose up at the current product line for whatever reason........

But come to the show and see the trucks we have been offering for the last 5 years. While you are here get a bulldog tattoo engraved on your ass!

Pat on the back to the marketing Dept. Geeezzzzz.

I'm holding my breath till the new Highway truck comes. That will change things, not talk and crappy videos with 5 seconds of product.

If and when I pass out due to a lack of oxygen, someone use a bulldog to jump on my chest and huff into my airway.

P.S. Al Pelletier was the man!

• Like 1

Volvo has destroyed the Mack parts operations by raising parts pricing as much as five-fold, so as to improve their margins.

I know of six Mack distributors right now that are actively promoting Chinese clutches rather than Spicer because Volvo's price is absurd. That situation never existed at Mack Trucks. We gave our distributors truck-load pricing with no minimum quantity direct from our five parts distribution centers, and sales took off. Our distributors were able to compete head on with the parts houses and steal their market share. We were able to take care of all our customer's parts needs, aside from tires, and save them money!

Volvo has created a convoluted situation, literally pushing the distributors away from the Volvo/Mack parts system.

Now, the majority of parts ordered by distributors from the Volvo parts distribution centers are proprietary parts for warranty repairs.

• Like 1

This February saw strong sales. Per commercial vehicle industry data publisher ACT Research, new orders for Class 8 trucks in February increased 30% from the same month last year.

Riding Februarys class 8 sales wave, Volvo-brand truck North American deliveries rose 69% to 2,412 trucks, and Mack-branded Volvo deliveries rose 43% to 1,477.

From the data above, we can see that Volvo-brand North American truck sales were 64 percent higher than the Swedish truckmakers Mack-brand sales.

If the Mack-brand was even able to sell 1,477 trucks every month in 2014, that would only equate to 17,724 units for the entire year. In comparison, during the last full year of Mack Trucks in 1999, the company sold 34,264 units, nearly double that figure.

As many of you are seeing, the Volvo brand is clearly being promoted for highway applications, leaving the Mack brand to vocational (where the Mack brand is losing market share).

No doubt Olof Persson is delighted with North Americas newfound willingness to shift to Volvo-branded trucks, reassuring him that Volvo will successfully be able to migrate most of its Mack-brand market share over to Volvo in the future, as they did with White and GMC, and bring a close to this transaction.

to compare sales in 99 to sales today is unfair. In 99 truck sales as a whole were way higher than today. Also construction industry was way stronger then compared to now. Back in 99 there was all kinds of small excavation company's buying new trucks and equipment. Mack is lucky be selling as many new trucks as they are.

to compare sales in 99 to sales today is unfair. In 99 truck sales as a whole were way higher than today. Also construction industry was way stronger then compared to now. Back in 99 there was all kinds of small excavation company's buying new trucks and equipment. Mack is lucky be selling as many new trucks as they are.

I didn’t realize you’ve been in truck sales all these years. Then, you should know where I’m coming from.

However, I’m not talking about “1999 truck sales as a whole”, rather I’m specifically talking abut Class 8.

As you can see below, Class 8 made a drastic 60 percent uptick in 2011 that put us back in our traditional sales range.

Year Units Sold Percent Growth

1999 263,136

2000 211,518 (19.6%)

2001 139,576 (34.0%)

2002 145,883 4.5%

2003 141,931 (2.7%)

2004 203,197 43.2%

2005 252,972 24.4%

2006 284,008 12.3%

2007 150,965 (46.8%)

2008 133,473 (11.6%)

2009 94,778 (29.0%)

2010 107,152 13.1%

2011 171,425 60.0%

2012 194,715 13.6%

2013 184,784 (5%)

For January 2014, Class 8 trucks sales were 14,119, a 50% rise over last year.

For February 2014 truck sales were 28,876, a 30% rise over last year.

So considering the data, one can quite reasonably compare 1999 Class 8 trucks sales with today’s numbers.

263k in 99 vs 184 k in 2013. So even if 14 sales are 30% higher than13 it still only comes up to 239k in 14. Also industry wide class 8 sales are 30 % higher in February. Macks sales were43% higher so how is that bad sales ?

263k in 99 vs 184 k in 2013. So even if 14 sales are 30% higher than13 it still only comes up to 239k in 14. Also industry wide class 8 sales are 30 % higher in February. Macks sales were43% higher so how is that bad sales ?

I'm very sorry, We seem to have our wires crossed again.

The first paragraph of my original post was specifically about "Class 8" truck sales. Which is why I wanted to point out to you that it was not speaking of 1999 truck sales as a whole”, rather just Class 8.

One must break down each market segment separately (class 5, class 7, ect.) in order to speak definitively.

"This February saw strong sales. Per commercial vehicle industry data publisher ACT Research, new orders for Class 8 trucks in February increased 30% from the same month last year"

Also, my post did not state that 2014 Class 8 sales (YTD) were up 30%, as you said. Rather it stated that January 2014 sales soared 50%, and February sales jumped 30%, over the same period a year ago.

For January 2014, Class 8 trucks sales were 14,119, a 50% rise over last year.

For February 2014 truck sales were 28,876, a 30% rise over last year.

Well now here is my question for all the Volvo lovers out there? Now this is just a very simple question on why and what Volvos intentions are here in the good old USA.............Here goes Why did Daimler Benz come to America and by out Penske Detroit Diesel redesign and build jointly with Detroit Diesel and the Germans the new generation Detroit Diesel and keep Mfg. in Detroit USA and then buy Freightliner,Western Star,and Ford trucks then turned Ford into Sterling and then pulled them, then concentrate on makin Freightliner one of the largest sellin road trucks in the US and W-Star one of the best heavy hauler dumper mixer trucks in the US and they did this without ever importing one Mercedes heavy truck into this country?? On the other hand... Volvo comes to the US buys White Motors Autocar GMC Mack, closes White GMC is forced to sell Autocar to keep a CO model truck and floods the US market with Volvos. Then takes Mack Trucks and takes anythink that has a Mack history on it and slowly starts to eliminate them eg E9V8 EM7 E7 Mack designed and built motors and starts to replace them with Volvo built and designed motors and lets Mack engineers not have a hand in it I'm gonna stop there. Now I did not say I didn't like Volvo or any disrespect to the company but do you see where I'm commin from so how about some answers?

BULLHUSK

PS It woulda been nice to see a new long nose Autocar dump with a ISM or ISX Cummins or maybe even a new GMC Astro or a new White Road Comander! So why wouldn't we be seenin any a those in the 2014 model year??

• Like 1

I'm not a Volvo lover I wish Mack was American owned and was making modern versions of their legendary trucks and engines but thats not the way it is . I think Volvo should have kept the white and autocar names alive and been more like Daimler but they are there own company and wanted to promote there own Volvo name and actually Volvo is the only foreign truck maker to ever have success selling foreign name plated trucks in the u.s. class 8 market. Scania tried it and couldn't succeed.as far as the new macks go ive said before we like them they have met all our expectations so far and surpassed some of our expectations. We could have switched brands and hate on Volvo but we chose not to. To each his own

I'm not a Volvo lover I wish Mack was American owned and was making modern versions of their legendary trucks and engines but thats not the way it is . I think Volvo should have kept the white and autocar names alive and been more like Daimler but they are there own company and wanted to promote there own Volvo name and actually Volvo is the only foreign truck maker to ever have success selling foreign name plated trucks in the u.s. class 8 market. Scania tried it and couldn't succeed.as far as the new macks go ive said before we like them they have met all our expectations so far and surpassed some of our expectations. We could have switched brands and hate on Volvo but we chose not to. To each his own
Also freightliner builder some of their class 8 trucks including the coronado in mexico where as macks and Volvo are built in the USA. Just saying

quote name="bullhusk" post="238995" timestamp="1395627338"]Well now here is my question for all the Volvo lovers out there? Now this is just a very simple question on why and what Volvos intentions are here in the good old USA.............Here goes Why did Daimler Benz come to America and by out Penske Detroit Diesel redesign and build jointly with Detroit Diesel and the Germans the new generation Detroit Diesel and keep Mfg. in Detroit USA and then buy Freightliner,Western Star,and Ford trucks then turned Ford into Sterling and then pulled them, then concentrate on makin Freightliner one of the largest sellin road trucks in the US and W-Star one of the best heavy hauler dumper mixer trucks in the US and they did this without ever importing one Mercedes heavy truck into this country?? On the other hand... Volvo comes to the US buys White Motors Autocar GMC Mack, closes White GMC is forced to sell Autocar to keep a CO model truck and floods the US market with Volvos. Then takes Mack Trucks and takes anythink that has a Mack history on it and slowly starts to eliminate them eg E9V8 EM7 E7 Mack designed and built motors and starts to replace them with Volvo built and designed motors and lets Mack engineers not have a hand in it I'm gonna stop there. Now I did not say I didn't like Volvo or any disrespect to the company but do you see where I'm commin from so how about some answers?

BULLHUSK

PS It woulda been nice to see a new long nose Autocar dump with a ISM or ISX Cummins or maybe even a new GMC Astro or a new White Road Comander! So why wouldn't we be seenin any a those in the 2014 model year??

OK here we go, You answered my question in your third sentence 'they wanted to promote there own Volvo name' BINGO!! And.... In doing so they disrespected the American public by takin out one of the oldest truck mfg. co's' in America White and GMC and also A-Car! So why couldn't they build an assembled truck like a White Road Boss using a Volvo motor or a Cummins Or a Detroit ? Nooo instead they did it slowly like 'White GMC Volvo', Autocar Volvo and then before ya know it White GMC Autocar are no longer on the truck!!! It just says Volvo!!! ....Are you kidding me Scania?? They came to this country with there own product and tried to sell it and they didn't buy out any US companies and liquidate them like Volvo did to cut out the comp. and use our tec. and US truck names to promote there product!! why? because Scania respected the American trucking co's and owners in this country! and as far as Freightliner building trucks in Mexico?? Who do you think is running and building the trucks? Mexican's? Volvo does not respect the American trucking manufacturing industry and if you think I'm crazy? Then just look at what they are trying to do in the heavy construction market in this country! Look I'm just tellin ya like it is! An another think stop tellin me how Volvo saved Mack!! If it were not for the great Mack name that Volvo has been riding on over the past couple of years Volvo would be gone cause the Mack name saved Volvo not the other way around!! Now there I said it!!

And that's all I'm sayin

BULLHUSK!

I'm not gonna argue over white GMC autocar. Again I dont love Volvo I dont think Volvo saved Mack. Mack was was a casualty of international big business. I wish things were different but again there not and you cant cry over spilled milk your whole life. As far as freightliner we were looking at buying a Coronado severe duty before we got the first titan and the salesman told us they are built in Mexico even for the US market.

“Starting this year, we’ll know when a truck comes into a dealership and when a truck leaves a dealership...........we’re able to transmit this information to other companies ”

Installing GPS tracking devices on all new trucks so that Volvo can follow you AND share that information with other companies sounds too much like the NSA to me. Who gave Volvo the authority to track the whereabouts of their customers?

You hit the nail on the head there.

Pretty sure its an op-in program meaning no tracking if you don't want it.....remove the tin foil helmet! The other companies probably are just parts suppliers and tow shops.

You can opt out, device still stays on. Just like a cell phone or anything else connected to a network, it's always trackable.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I'm not gonna argue over white GMC autocar. Again I dont love Volvo I dont think Volvo saved Mack. Mack was was a casualty of international big business. I wish things were different but again there not and you cant cry over spilled milk your whole life. As far as freightliner we were looking at buying a Coronado severe duty before we got the first titan and the salesman told us they are built in Mexico even for the US market.

Santiago Tianguistenco, Mexico, Truck Manufacturing Plant:

KM 23.7 Carretera

LaMarquesa-Tenago

CP 52600 Santiago Tianguistenco

Edo de Mexico, Mexico

011-52-72-79-2574

Established: 1991

Products: Freightliner’s Business Class® M2 medium-duty truck models; Freightliner’s heavy-duty models, including the FLD Series, Century Class, Columbia and Coronado.

Saltillo Truck Manufacturing Plant:

Daimler Tractocamiones S. de R.L. de C.V.

Carretera General Cepeda #8395

Colonia Ej. Derramadero

Municipio de Saltillo, Coahuila

Mexico, C.P. 25300

(52) 844 9860501

Established: 2009

Products: Freightliner Cascadia® Class 8 Trucks

Santiago Tianguistenco, Mexico, Truck Manufacturing Plant:

KM 23.7 Carretera

LaMarquesa-Tenago

CP 52600 Santiago Tianguistenco

Edo de Mexico, Mexico

011-52-72-79-2574

Established: 1991

Products: Freightliner’s Business Class® M2 medium-duty truck models; Freightliner’s heavy-duty models, including the FLD Series, Century Class, Columbia and Coronado.

Saltillo Truck Manufacturing Plant:

Daimler Tractocamiones S. de R.L. de C.V.

Carretera General Cepeda #8395

Colonia Ej. Derramadero

Municipio de Saltillo, Coahuila

Mexico, C.P. 253.

(52) 844 9860501

Established: 2009

Products: Freightliner Cascadia® Class 8 Trucks

I do know that they are built in Mexico as well as my Dodge pick and that's why I was buying the W-Stars but with all the new pollution stuff I had to go for the alu.cab (Coronado's ) but my point was, (so I'm told) is that the plant in run mostly by transplanted US workers as well as the Germans, I was told the same about the Chrysler plant and the new Ram Pick up's A lot of American company's are sending jobs to mx but yet the keep coming here for work?

Nobody is "crying over spilled milk". Let us not distract from what's actually taking place here.

A great many proud and intelligent Americans who care deeply about our country are very upset at the direction we're heading in, and about a foreign truckmaker acquiring White, Autocar, GMC and Mack Trucks.

The acquisition of Mack Trucks by a foreign truckmaker was not good for America.

The dominance of America's truck industry by foreign truckmakers is not in the best interest of the United States.

• Like 1

I 100 % agree Mr ksc. It doesn't leave a consumer very many choices. When we were shopping for a new truck we shopped Mack freightlner w.star Pete and kenworth. International wasn't even considered as they were in turmoil and at the time didn't even offer a truck with a motor big enough. The macks were the most expensive option even a granite was more than a freightliner or peterbilt. We called the local freightliner and Western star dealer and they were supposed to send us specs and prices of Detroit powered trucks. They sent us Cummins powered specs and would not return phone calls . Peterbilt only offered Cummins if you wanted big power same with kw and both Paccar brands are farther away than Mack dealers are for us so we went with Mack. So we are glad we did and now I'm done with this subject.