Matching a Gearbox to a EM6

Mr Black

Hi, I hope you guys can help me with some questions.

I need to replace a T2090 which is currently matched to an EM6 300HP. There are not a lot of good 2nd hand boxes in the local market at the moment and my main choices are an Eaton RTLO1478B (which will need a Mack bell housing and notal mount) or a Spicer 20 speed (which already has the notal mount). My questions are as follows:

1. The Spicer has the bell housing to suit a 866 V8. Will this bell housing and notal mount work with the EM6?
  2. Does anybody know what the torque rating is on an EM6-300 so I can work out whether the 14 series Eaton will be ok? The Eaton has a max torque rating of 1450. I have found a Mack torque chart but it does not have a listing for an EM6-300. It has the specs for an E6-300 or an EM6-300L, but not an EM6-300 (ie. without the L). The EM6-300L is rated at 1425 - not sure if an EM6-300 has a lower torque rating than the EM6 with the L. If the torque rating is 1425, do you think that is too close to the max rating for the Eaton of 1450.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Forgive me, but it sounds like you're trying to go around your elbow to get to your arm.

Why not replace your tired T2090 with a Mack remanufactured T2090?

That way, you know what you've got (including the latest updates), plus ease of installation (no changes to your current mounting configuration) and the generous warranty.

I assume you have an EM6-300R (R = reduced rpm for multi-speed transmissions)

Forgive me, but it sounds like you're trying to go around your elbow to get to your arm.

Why not replace your tired T2090 with a Mack remanufactured T2090?

That way, you know what you've got (including the latest updates), plus ease of installation (no changes to your current mounting configuration) and the generous warranty.

I assume you have an EM6-300R (R = reduced rpm for multi-speed transmissions)

Thanks everyone for your input. The reason for changing is that everyone here (in Australia) has said to stay away from the T2090. This is our first Mack so I am on a bit of a steep learning curve. We have had good history with Eatons and it really is the industry standard in Australia, particularly if you put a driver behind the wheel (which is likely to happen now and then) as that is what most of the driving schools use. This particular truck is getting completely rebuilt cosmetically. Engine is fantastic but gearbox has given us grief and now gets stuck in high range gears (if I can get them in at all). Cab is about to be lifted off and re-positioned so it would be an ideal time to do the conversion.

Better check the torque rating of the Spicer. I have a few 2 stick Spicers in trucks they are only rated for 900foot pounds torque. Mine of course are from the seventies. The big Spicers are rated for 1200 lbs. of torque. If your engine is high torque rise the 20 speed is not suited for it. Joe D.

Thanks everyone for your input. The reason for changing is that everyone here (in Australia) has said to stay away from the T2090. This is our first Mack so I am on a bit of a steep learning curve. We have had good history with Eatons and it really is the industry standard in Australia, particularly if you put a driver behind the wheel (which is likely to happen now and then) as that is what most of the driving schools use. This particular truck is getting completely rebuilt cosmetically. Engine is fantastic but gearbox has given us grief and now gets stuck in high range gears (if I can get them in at all). Cab is about to be lifted off and re-positioned so it would be an ideal time to do the conversion.

My friend, there is nothing wrong with the Mack Maxitorque T2090. I don't know what age your truck is, but a Mack factory-remanufactured T2090 is upgraded to T300 (2nd generation) components. You won't have any problems with this transmission, and you'll appreciate the deep first gear for low-speed maneuvering.

http://www.macktrucks.com/assets/mack/product_specs/t3091361308.pdf

Better check the torque rating of the Spicer. I have a few 2 stick Spicers in trucks they are only rated for 900foot pounds torque. Mine of course are from the seventies. The big Spicers are rated for 1200 lbs. of torque. If your engine is high torque rise the 20 speed is not suited for it. Joe D.

Thanks Joe, the Spicer I am looking at is rated at 1400 lbs so I think it should be ok. Just don't know if the housing will be physically compatible.

My friend, there is nothing wrong with the Mack Maxitorque T2090. I don't know what age your truck is, but a Mack factory-remanufactured T2090 is upgraded to T300 (2nd generation) components. You won't have any problems with this transmission, and you'll appreciate the deep first gear for low-speed maneuvering.

My T2090 was factory fitted to a '85 model. What generation would that be? It is good to hear from someone that has something positive to say about the T2090. Not sure if Mack remanufacture the T2090 in Australia - will have to check it out. I live in Brisbane (which is the home of Mack in Australia) so will have to drop in and ask. Cheers

It would be good if I could get away with not changing the box at all for now as we may be re-powering in the future once truck restored. Are these boxes worth fixing if it is just a range synchro or fork? All low range gears are perfect but it has an intermittent problem in high range in that it sometimes won't accept a gear. On one occasion the gear went in but we couldn't get it out. It went on a tow truck that day and hasn't been on the road since. I have stripped it for restoration but have to sort out gearbox issue before reassembly.

Any thoughts on whether it sounds like something that could possibly be repaired??

My T2090 was factory fitted to a '85 model. What generation would that be? It is good to hear from someone that has something positive to say about the T2090. Not sure if Mack remanufacture the T2090 in Australia - will have to check it out. I live in Brisbane (which is the home of Mack in Australia) so will have to drop in and ask. Cheers

The first T200 Mack multi-speed transmissions (9- and 10-speeds) came out in late 1984. Thru 1985, it gave us problems. We should have delayed the launch one more year. But we resolved the issues and, as many know, the multi-speed Mack T200 transmissions (1st generation) and T300s (2nd generation) matured into a great product. Volvo is still building the T300s today.

All Mack factory-remanufactured T2090s are upgraded to the latest T300 internal design configuration. It's a great transmission. When you buy Mack Reman, you get a great product with all the latest upgrades, and a great warranty.

You and I both have no idea if that transmission has ever been into. But given the age of the vehicle, and your desire for a trouble-free transmission you can depend on, I would go with a Mack factory-remanufactured unit rather than investing time and money in that old unit.

All Mack components are remanufactured at a world class facility in Middletown, Pennsylvania (east of Harrisburg), and Volvo's parts distribution facility in Australia should keep them in stock.

GreenGiant2 Spicer made a 16 speed Model#PSO150-16A first gear 12.83 and .84 overdrive in high gear. It has a 1500 torque rating and takes a # 1 bellhousing. They also made Model PSO150-12 first gear 15.05 and .77 overdrive Torque rating 1400 pounds takes # 1 or 2 bellhousing.This information was from a 1992 spec sheet.Joe D.

what model would this spicer be , just wondering

Hey, the Spicer is a 1420-3a. I have now come across a 15 speed deep reduction overdrive Eaton in good condition. This could be ideal as truck may do some moonlighting as a low loader. Will have to buy conversion kit if I go that way.

the Eaton will be more than enough,

Hi Superdog, do you think I can get away with a 1200 series Eaton with the EM6? I have come across a good 15 speed. I have a similar Eaton box sitting behind a big cam Cummins in another truck (not a Mack) and it has given many years of trouble free service. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mr Black. I'm also from Aus and I agree it seem a few people seem to swap it out. Get a price from your local mack dealer to see what a remanufactured box is worth. I suspect it may be a price thing for most people. Let me know what you find out, as I have inquired about an 18speed eaton and would like to know what a mack box will cost.

• 2 weeks later...