New York Macks 2

Im in Jersey and I bought a truck with 20k front and 58k rears but I believe I only registered it regular commercial at 70,000 but I guess it was a waste because I'm only good for 56,000? If that's true I have to go down to the dmv and get that changed to constructor. I wish I found this out before I registered or got busted!

Go to Trenton and talk to someone directly.I don't think they do the constructor plate anymore. It used to be you did the constructor plate with code 41. This meant you could register the truck for what ever weight you wanted. The cops couldn't weigh your axles with code 41 but could go by gross weight. You're not supposed to go over 40 miles per hour with constructor plates technically. I know everyone had them but.... Millbrook Top Soil from up here in Bergen County had a fleet of single axle R model dumps and he would register them code 41 and he would register the weight around 46,000 running 10yd plus loads.

Rob

In order to get a Constructor Plate you had to have correct rears, and tires. Legally you could not register a truck that factory GVW was under 70,000lbs.I know people who did it but if weighed and not correct specs. trouble. I paid a few fines with Constructor Plates my gross was over 86,000 and Trooper called Supervisor and wanted to give me a ticket for over axles Supervisor told him over gross ticket only.Trooper was not happy. This was in late 80"s I do not know how it works today. I go to Jersey quite a bit so I imagine Constructor plate still used as there are tons of heavy tandems working and not loaded to 56,000. Joe D.

I'll find out when I plow again what the heavy tandems L Demarino has is registered for. True you had to have the axles and specs for the code 41. I know my registration was for 72,360 when I drove for Leslie with his 99 RD. That was on the actual registration. And yes all of the tandems in Jersey are running at 70,000 as far as i know too.

• Like 1

Those R models look like old Commander Fuel tractors for anybody in Nassau county might remember them. They had a big terminal down in Oyster Bay

Those R models look like old Commander Fuel tractors for anybody in Nassau county might remember them. They had a big terminal down in Oyster Bay

Sure look like Commanders.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

RFC- Thanks, I will have to take a ride down to Trenton when I get a chance but whatever you can find out next time you plow would help. I think you are right as far as I know most tandems are running 70,000 in NJ.

Right now my tandem is registered at 80,000 because at the Joyce Kilmer DMV they told me that I had to add the weight of my tag along and register it at my Max GCVW? Also, I'm not positive but will check the door tag tomorrow or Saturday but I believe my truck has 20k fronts and 58k rears and it says 78k GVW. So if they still issue "constructor plates" I do have the correct specs.

This is my first truck of my own and am trying to stay as legal as possible and avoid any hassles!

So you are going to stay in Jersey to work I assume. If you go out then obviously you need apportioned. The women I've dealt with in Trenton are very nice and I'm sure they will set you straight. You are right about the tag along I had to add the weight of the tag to the registration for my single axles.

Kingston N.Y. 1936

ch_cj_6140.jpg

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone on here ever hear of Warren fane trucking in troy ny.they have a fleet of atleast 50 trucks. I'd say half Mack. Alot of chu,chn, gu,and cl. Ive never saw any of there trucks on this site. They used to have superliner and r models as well

Anyone on here ever hear of Warren fane trucking in troy ny.they have a fleet of atleast 50 trucks. I'd say half Mack. Alot of chu,chn, gu,and cl. Ive never saw any of there trucks on this site. They used to have superliner and r models as well

They actually have over 130 trucks last count. Mixed bag of Petes, FL, Macks, all flavors. They're into everything from aggregates to cement to salt. Not far from here...they pass here right now quite a bit with salt wagons.

If you New York guys want to stretch your legs a little, then get some pics on here of some of the bigger western-central NY fleets such as Earl T. Wadhams (milk transporters,) Mirabito (petroleum,) and another nice outfit in the southern tier is Loptke along side of rt. 17/86 in Appalachia, NY area west of Binghamton. They run a BIG fleet of dump trucks and trailers...lot of CL and CH Macks, Autocars and still running a few Diamond Reo Giants heavy spec'd trucks to this day. They operate a quarry or two out there as well.

Edited by TommyZ

Is LP transportation still around? They ran R model sleepers which were a common sight back then.

They're still around Jim, bigger than ever. I worked for them for 11 months before this current job now. They are mainly all KW, but have a lot of newer International's in the fleet. They're a very well run, well oiled machine in terms of how they spec things, and run their business. (A little too well oiled for me to work for, but that's another story, another time...)

Very weight-conscience to maximize payload/revenue. Also very uniform in how they spec things and maintain things too. Class-one operation compared to most of the other LP gas carriers in the northeast, I'll give them that. They take pride in their image as a carrier, and it shows. I wish I could say that about my gig, lol.

Back when the old man was still around, it was like working for the Gustapo. He didn't like drivers, never acknowledged they were even alive most guys said. He didn't care about your comfort; all he cared about was revenue. Those old Macks had solid,bolted-to-floor seats, no a/c...you earned every penny and he made sure of it. If he was still around now, he'd probably try to have it the same way, lol.

There should be a few LP's working out in your neighborhood; that's where I was working when I was with them for a while...hauling out of Houston to Ky.