New York Macks 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Seen that axle arrangement upstate NY a lot. Don't ask me to explain their weight laws but I know guys that run a standard tri-axle in PA 73,280 gvw get busted down to 58,000 gvw if they cross into NY

New York State Bridge Formula: 34,000 + (1,000 x Overall Wheelbase in feet, rounded to the nearest foot) State Bridge formula Example: 4 axle dump truck with a 20 foot overall wheelbase; 34,000 + (1,000 x 20) = 54,000 pounds.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

New York State Bridge Formula: 34,000 + (1,000 x Overall Wheelbase in feet, rounded to the nearest foot) State Bridge formula Example: 4 axle dump truck with a 20 foot overall wheelbase; 34,000 + (1,000 x 20) = 54,000 pounds.

And the same 20' wheelbase tri-axle in NJ is legal for 80,000 gvw. Go figure. Not enough brakes to stop 40 tons IMHO, assuming the lift axle will bounce and lock up in a panic stop anyway.

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

And the same 20' wheelbase tri-axle in NJ is legal for 80,000 gvw. Go figure. Not enough brakes to stop 40 tons IMHO, assuming the lift axle will bounce and lock up in a panic stop anyway.

actually, that truck is legal for 80k in new yawk too, if it is registered for it.

i have apportioned plates on my truck and am legal for 80k in all states. but i am only legal for 54k over the bridges.

the lift axle only bounces on braking if you are not intelligent enough to properly set it. i keep mine set at 70 lbs or so and have no problem. but i see others that set the lift axle at 30-40 psi and the axle hops all over the place every time they hit the brakes.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

actually, that truck is legal for 80k in new yawk too, if it is registered for it.

i have apportioned plates on my truck and am legal for 80k in all states. but i am only legal for 54k over the bridges.

the lift axle only bounces on braking if you are not intelligent enough to properly set it. i keep mine set at 70 lbs or so and have no problem. but i see others that set the lift axle at 30-40 psi and the axle hops all over the place every time they hit the brakes.

Unfortunately, for every responsible sensible operator like yourself, there are 10 dumbasses out there who don't get the proper permits or know how to set the air pressure on their lift axles. The laws are basically idiot-proof to protect us from the idiots LOL. We have a local problem here in East Bangor with tri axles running into the Quarry with waste material from New Jersey and New York City... running overweight dodging the scales and wreaking havoc at every turn. Mostly immigrant operators working for chump change... I guess you get what you pay for.

New York bridge law for 54,000 is for what they class as a divisible load (sand, gravel etc) and the law is different for a non divisible load (container, large freight etc) Basically the 54,000  limit is to get you to buy a permit, has zero to do with anything but money, same as the NYHUT  $$$$

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

i remember back in 88 before the bottom fell out of trucking we were getting $55 per hour for tandem dumps. then the immigrants came here and started buying deathtraps out of junkyards and working for $20-25 per hour.

it took close to 20 years to get the price back up to livable rates. even now it is hard to get $85 per hour for a triaxle.

and everyone wants new trucks on the job, but do not want to pay for them.

how do they expect you to afford a new $200K+ truck when they only want to pay $75 per hour?

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Connecticut 76500 with permit in certain areas other places 73000 non construction material -salt - sand for glass-scrap iron-lumber- liquid 67400 lbs on a tri axle and they check tire capacity and width and they catch you in the bad zone with non construction mat they will fine you 5k-8k 95 south West haven Conn and down to NYC line.

Ed

Yea when it went to shit in 08 and all the companies dumped the company drivers and hired the immigrants .the big quarries ran these clowns for next to nothing while the good 0/0 went out of business. Then the immigrants  started hauling over size concrete panels and can't drive with legal  loads then go to oversize the co I work for had one stone hauler back into.the same ditch twice as I was dumping  and I told my boss you get what you pay for

Anybody here on NY Macks remember seeing any HERMS Trucking trucks in and around the NYC area back in the 1960's-1970's? I used to work for them and we did a lot of nursery stock [trees] to NYC and New England areas. I delivered many full grown trees that were about 50' tall to the World Trade Center back in the beginning . Just looking to remember the old days and thanks for any pics too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...