Power divider lockout vs driver inter wheel differential lock.

What is the difference between Power Divider lockout w/warning light and Buzzer (includes in cab manual valve) , and The Driver controlled inter wheel differential lock both RR axles, manual air valve w/warning light? Speccing out new truck and trying to get a better understanding on this! Also what condition or should I say jobs would the difference make! Someone please give me an example!

The (driver controlled) power divider lockout is an inter-axle lock. It locks the front and rear drive axles together.

The inter-wheel differential lock is just that, a driver-controlled means of locking the front and rear differentials (the left and right side wheel ends are locked together and both pulling).

If you spec both, you have the means of pulling at all four corners.

The inter-wheel differential lock is not that popular in the US (on vocational chassis), but it should be. Overseas, it quite common, particularly on vocational trucks with planetary hub reduction axles.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the detroit lockers thing was in pickups.

They have side to side lock and will put it in just the rear rear so you can steer easier I guess. The power divider lock is most popular, then wheel lock which is side side most of the time on both front and rear, but occasionally just the rear.

Every Mack "locking" system I ever saw did just that...locked.

Detroit Lockers (a.k.a.: Detroit Automotive Locking Differential) allow the "faster" wheel to overrun the slower one by virtue of their spring-centered, one-way ratchets. Only one ratchet gear can override at a given time, as the center gear will be forced completely into the other side gear at this time. This allows for cornering without binding. But, the ratchets can be heard "clicking" during the turn. They do, however, provide absolutely positive drive when going straight ahead. Incidentally, a Detroit Locker will also allow one wheel to overrun the other while going downhill or decelerating. So, they don't hold back as well as a true locker or a spool on a downhill. The primary use of the Detroit is to provide that positive drive to both wheels under acceleration. Lots of Detroit Lockers in race cars and off-road pickups. Don't use the term Detroit Locker as a generic term, as it is a very specific piece of equipment. Now, if they make one for heavy trucks, I know nothing about it, as I am not aware of it.

Again, the Mack locking systems I've personally experienced actually LOCK the unit in question, whether that is a differential or the power divider.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I'm interested in getting Lockers for my RD. Can I get the parts from a driveline shop or do I have to get them thru Mack. I have 23K Mack diffs.

Does anybody know an approx. cost for parts??

Sorry, the "bold" is locked on and I don't know how to get it off.

Doubleclutchinweasel........many years ago I worked for an outfit that had Detroit Lockers in a fleet of International tandems with rock boxes.

No switch in the cab, didn't steer worth crap and clunked while turning just like you said.

On the older Mack rears.......can the interwheel power divider be added to ones that don't have them? Or do you have to change the whole rear end?

Also how did the automatic ones work? Did they work well or where they problematic?

I would assume that the center section could be changed to accommodate the new parts. But, i'm just guessing here. I mean, the housings should be the same, with different "guts" in them. Not sure how hard it is to do, though. I'll bet Superdog or some of th other more experienced types will probably know a lot more about it.

Have absolutely NO experience with the automatic ones!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."