Old Truck Stops and Pics

farmer52

Ron,my Dad used to fuel at Reinaurers when running Albany,he ran 17 north off the Turnpike up to the Thruway (remember when 17 had traffic lights?) what a joy! Lol! When I was a kid we stopped there to fuel,grab a bite to eat,when you bought a certain amount of fuel (I think $100.00) you could "Pick a prize"! It ended up being my second Winross truck,a Phillips 66 5000 White C.O.E which I still have now!............I also remember there being a small bar/tavern walking distance from the truckstop that had real good sandwiches etc. long before 287 was finished!.............................Mark

post-5836-0-06789600-1390859662_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Ron,my Dad used to fuel at Reinaurers when running Albany,he ran 17 north off the Turnpike up to the Thruway (remember when 17 had traffic lights?) what a joy! Lol! When I was a kid we stopped there to fuel,grab a bite to eat,when you bought a certain amount of fuel (I think $100.00) you could "Pick a prize"! It ended up being my second Winross truck,a Phillips 66 5000 White C.O.E which I still have now!............I also remember there being a small bar/tavern walking distance from the truckstop that had real good sandwiches etc. long before 287 was finished!.............................Mark

Sure do Mark, there was a lot of them!

Used to run that way out of the city to Saratoga.

Rte. 4 off the GW Bridge to 17N to the Thruway then to the Northway exit #14 to beautiful Saratoga Springs!

Ron

• Like 1

Roadway Truck Stop in Milesburg,Pa. was a good stop good food and garage was always ready to help you out. Boron at old exit 3 on I-80 Barkeyville,Pa. was good. Back in 70's about every exit on I-80 in Penna. had a full service Truck Stop.Anyone remember Snyder's Gateway Truckstop at Breezewood,Pa junction of I-70 and I76 Pa.Tp. good food, garage and bunkhouse was only a few dollars a night. If you slept in your truck fuel guy would come out and wake you up at designated time.They were the good old days. Joe D.

I remember the name but can't recall the location. Is it where the Gateway is now?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Al naked city is Roselawn , IN. on route 10 west of interstate 65. they still have 2 nudist camps. one is Ponderosa sun club, the other is Aruba or something like that. I think I remember hearing about that truckstop. my dad and I used to haul grain to Chicago back in the early 70s.

Ron B.,

How come you know so much about the nudist camps there in Roselawn? :loldude: Just kiddin'! I had heard about them "clothing optional" camps down that way. I'm thinking a trucker could get himself in a little trouble there! :whistling: So Naked City was down that way,huh? Stands to reason! .............no pun intended :rolleyes:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Ken I have not been at Snyder's Gateway in years. I do not know if it is still operating. Joe D.

Did some research on the interweb....Snyder's is the "new" Gateway Plaza. Link to history of Gateway http://www.gatewaytravelplaza.com/index.php?page=our-history. On the bottom of the page it states "good food...to this day". They have a stuff-it buff-it with stale food and a Stubway. You can order off the menu but most of the items are taken from the buffet. I don't call that "good food".

The only other truck stop in Breezewood is Pilot on the south side of 30 (in front of the old Greyhound Posthouse) closer to I-70. There are lots of convenient/fuel stores and fast food restaurants. Several "modern" motels and several old/closed no tell motels.

I remember the HoJos on the PA turnpike. Full service "home cooked" food. The Turnike closed several of the rest stops and reconstructed the old ones into fast food. The only thing I do there is take a wizz. I can get Stubway, Booger King, etc. anywhere. The Midway stop near Bedford PA was a fancy place at one time.

post-3289-0-55306600-1390912127.jpg

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Jubitz out in OR. That was lively.

New Stanton Pa had the strip club behind the truck stop.

Johnson city on 20 in Rolling Prarie IN nice western theme.

Ray,

"My brother and I were told"

There was a guy that worked in that annex to the truck stop in New Stanton that looked just like Elvis!

Ron

Al naked city is Roselawn , IN. on route 10 west of interstate 65. they still have 2 nudist camps. one is Ponderosa sun club, the other is Aruba or something like that. I think I remember hearing about that truckstop. my dad and I used to haul grain to Chicago back in the early 70s.

I remember it too. I never stopped there, but I knew other drivers that did. I remember one time I was coming out of Chicago on a Friday evening. I was driving either an F model Mack or a K100, I don't remember.

I made my way through the worst of the traffic, finally got on 65 south, and south of rt. 30 figured I could finally make some good time and be home early Saturday morning...except there was this white Ford van in the left lane holding everything up. I was behind it in the left lane waiting for it to move over, but it never did. Another truck passed on the right and when he passed the van he told me to take a look and let him know if he saw what he thought he saw.

Soon as I got a break I moved to the right lane, looked in the van, and there was a beautiful blond girl (really-she was!) wearing nothing but a yellow robe. She was turned around facing the passenger window, leaning back against the man that was driving. One foot in the seat, one in the floor.The robe was completely open in front.

She got on the CB- might have been a walkie-talkie for all I know, I hadn't noticed an antenna- and said "sorry to hold you boys up, but I knew if we got over you wouldn't see anything."

I thanked her and told her if she ever saw me up that way again to please hold me up again. Anyway, that's where she said they were headed,to Naked City.

To this day it was the best seat cover shot i've ever seen.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

whites truckstop

Passed by this morning.

post-1374-0-45692700-1390952242_thumb.jp

I started to stop over at Longdale Furnace and check out the old Ponderosa this morning but I didn't. Looked like you could still get in there, saw a van trailer dropped in the lot. I didn't want to stop at the bottom of the mountain, and when i'm going west i'm usually running a couple hunnert, but i'll stop there before long.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.