Old Truck Stops and Pics

farmer52

The Union 76 TruckStop Exit109 at I-40 Gallatin Tn. It has been torn down for the plaza type. The two lane roads had many truckstops. The one I recall near where I lived as a kid was the SkyLine Resturant, near the airport, corner of Murfreesboro Road and Donelson Pike. Everyone came to that place because of the good food. It had cabins next to the Resturant for over nighters. It is now an empty lot because the airport decide it needed an east/west runway. The Tn. Highway Patrol building is the only thing old in that area still going strong.

mike

Yep, the Cumberland Restaurant on rt. 60 in Cumberland was like a truckstop when I was growing up, always several trucks on both sides of the road. It was open 24/7. Then there was the Ponderosa on rt. 60. a couple in Ansted,W.V. one before you got to Montgomery, and Cedar Top in Cedar Grove,W.V. All these were open before they finished I-64. Now there's nothing between Sam Black Church and Charleston.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

How about Speed & Briscoe? couple exits south of Jarrells,now a shithouse T/A................................Mark

Mark,

Wasn't that great even back then!

Ashland, VA

I'd eat breakfast there but after that it had to be junk food, be surprised how far you can go on Lance crackers and vienna sausages!

Only place I remember that marked up Tastykakes, what a ripoff.

Ron

• Like 1

How about Robin Hood "Truck Plaza" Dunn or Benson, N.C.

Cheap cigarettes $2.50 a carton.

Used to have a can of comet cleanser in the mens room for hand soap, got your hands clean!

Ron

I stop at Big Boys truckstop in Dunn now. Don't know how the food is, but they've always got parking because all the super truckers are at the Flying J. The heat lamp bistits are pretty good for breakfast though.

Bette Beaver's Truck Stop in Vermont

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I was only there once when it was still open,i delivered in the area,and it was pretty much the "dump" it was advertised to be in Overdrive Mass 10 Truckstop,I do remember the restaurant across the street had pretty good food Yankee something or other I think it was called......................Mark

post-5836-0-41716000-1390775618_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

The one truckstop that sticks in my mind that went "over and above" for me,was the Duke Travel Plaza at the intersection of OH 79 and I-70 in Buckeye Lake OH. Many years ago,i stopped in there one night and I was sick as a dog with the flu! all I wanted was to get out of that truck,get a room to lay down and go to sleep,they at the time also operated a small motel adjacent to the truckstop,I checked in,and the lady at the desk said "you don't look so good bud!" told her I felt like I had died and no-one told me! Went to the room,cranked up the heat and passed out! Lady was kind enough to go to the store and get me some cold/flu medicine and some home-made vegetable beef soup! their whole staff checked on me that weekend to make sure I was alright. Something I never forgot! not too many people today would go out of their way to help a stranger,especially one as strange as me ! LOL! Dukes went out of business in 2008-9 I believe,there is what appears to be an asphalt plant on the property now,but I haven't been out that way in a couple years.............Mark

• Like 1

The one truckstop that sticks in my mind that went "over and above" for me,was the Duke Travel Plaza at the intersection of OH 79 and I-70 in Buckeye Lake OH. Many years ago,i stopped in there one night and I was sick as a dog with the flu! all I wanted was to get out of that truck,get a room to lay down and go to sleep,they at the time also operated a small motel adjacent to the truckstop,I checked in,and the lady at the desk said "you don't look so good bud!" told her I felt like I had died and no-one told me! Went to the room,cranked up the heat and passed out! Lady was kind enough to go to the store and get me some cold/flu medicine and some home-made vegetable beef soup! their whole staff checked on me that weekend to make sure I was alright. Something I never forgot! not too many people today would go out of their way to help a stranger,especially one as strange as me ! LOL! Dukes went out of business in 2008-9 I believe,there is what appears to be an asphalt plant on the property now,but I haven't been out that way in a couple years.............Mark

Oh yeah, that reminds me- the truckstop at Newcomerstown at rt.36 and I-77 used to be a Duke's. Used to fuel there, had a good restaurant, and a good store. The truckstop is still there, but you'd never know it was the same place.

I was only there once when it was still open,i delivered in the area,and it was pretty much the "dump" it was advertised to be in Overdrive Mass 10 Truckstop,I do remember the restaurant across the street had pretty good food Yankee something or other I think it was called......................Mark

I stopped there a time or two when we were running Boston a lot, best I remember there wasn't much parking there. Seemed like everybody had a "Where in the hell is the Mass 10?" bumper sticker on their trailer then.

• Like 1

other dog, sure that wasn't the Blue & White around Indy area. I stopped a the Iowa 80 back in the mid 70s, sure looks different now. I remember the union 76 on 159th street in Chicago. I cant remember what the name of the truckstop a Beaverdam, OH.

Yardo,I sure remember the Wagon Wheel! I used to run 41 north out of Delaware,up to 30 then 283 out to Harrisburg west to get on the Turnpike,one place I have always liked and still do is Jennies Diner in Ronks (Lancaster,PA) I stop there every time I'm in the area,still one of the best breakfasts around in my opinion!..............................Mark

I been by Jennies many times when I visit Lancaster. Always a lot of trucks sitting in the parking lot. On Route 30 east past the Outlets. I will have to remember to stop for breakfast the next time I am in the area.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

other dog, sure that wasn't the Blue & White around Indy area. I stopped a the Iowa 80 back in the mid 70s, sure looks different now. I remember the union 76 on 159th street in Chicago. I cant remember what the name of the truckstop a Beaverdam, OH.

yes, that's it. there was one down on the south side of 465 and one north of 465 on 65 that I know of. there was another truckstop down on the southside of Indianapolis that was always packed with lot lizards, that's all you heard on the cb, but I can't remember the name of it.

Was that the Calumet in Chicago?

You guys are bringing back memories!! The Wagon Wheel in Paradise is completely gone, went by there when we up to Lititz last year.

Another one gone is Racoon Valley on 75 just north of Knoxville. Ester's on RT 22 next to Frystown shut down 3rd shift due to the loss of truck business.

Brocky

The one on I-84 NY/CT line was the Colonial. Neither it or Mass 10 are NO LOSS!!!!

Is Stop 1 on the west side of Richmond IN still there???

The basic problem is that this "new breed" of driver thinks Burger King and McDonalds are restraunts!!!!

• Like 2

Brocky

Another one I can't remember the name was when you crossed into CT on I-84 coming out of NY a real dump of a place. was only in 2 or 3 time

I remember that one, can't remember the name of it either. You didn't have a lot of options in that part of the world. There was another one on 84 not far from Hartford, it was a TA or 76 but you could never find a parking space there.

My uncle and I used to stop at either Curt's Y-GO-BY ,north of Green Bay,Wi., The Stretch in Fond du Lac,Wi.,Holy Hill Truck Stop,Richfield,Wis. all on Rt. 41, or Senter's ,Russell Rd.(Wis./Ill. state line) on our way to and from Chicago with closet doors and shelving from Amasa,Mich. That was when Schneider (Transport) trucks had only 3 or 4 digit numbers and their drivers were all Teamsters. Mark, remember "Big John Trimble" on WRVA out of Richmond? He broadcasted live from Jarrell"s! Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I sure do Al! funny you should mention him,once my Dad was in Jarrells listening to the live broadcast,and was asked a trivia question.................."How many wheels does an eighteen wheeler have?"............My Dad answered "Why 21 of course,everyone knows that"...................Flywheel,Steering Wheel,and Fifth Wheel! IIRC he won a Fifty dollar gift certificate to Truck Enterprises Richmond,VA (a KW dealer) I don't know if he ever used it or not!...........................Mark

• Like 2