ISX Cummins plugging oil filter.

BAD DOG

I'm starting to think Its a Cummins problem. Even my 2012 Dodge with an ISB 6.7 gums up the oil pretty quick.

I've tried a couple different oils in her and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Lots of soot seems to collect in the bottom end of my ISB 6.7 The ISB 5.9L didn't have the same soot issues.

I'm changing oil at 8000kms (5000miles) because I can feel the grit on my fingers at the dipstick around there. I've had the truck since new for 13 months and its at 60,000k (37000miles)

Mine is doing the same thing my 04 did not do this! I'm told its the EGR problem I also think there is some way to by pass the EGR if anyone knows of this let us know

Thanks BULLHUSK

• Like 1

It's a Cummins issue that they do not "admit". Nothing has changed in the engine oil and Diesel fuel arena since ~2007. Seems more recent engines do not have an issue. At recent TMC meetings, no fleets have mentioned oil/fuel filter plugging. Go figure.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Had the same problem, if you are using Mobil, stop. Went round and round with Mobil and finally switched to a Kendall semi synthetic blend,SD XA 15W40. The Fleetguard filters are a problem also, we use Wix now.

Mike Pacitto

Chelmsford Mass

I use the wix filters on all my own stuff but the boss buys either Donaldson or Fleetguard but the Carquest uptown always gets me wix filters for all my stuff the old Mack my Harley I swear by them, used them for years. I prefer Chevron products for oil, but the boss buys Mobil from his supplier in bulk so who knows what he's getting. We have a 5w40 synthetic in the Cummins right now. As for frequent oil change intervals he'd very lax on that I think. Which is some of the problem but on this engine we are probably only getting 4000 to 4500 miles out of a filter. A few people suggested an external add on oil filtration set up from Pittsburg Power. So if the truck keeps going and the boss keeps it. Won't know till spring he's down in Florida for 3 months so he could care less! I'll ask Pittsburg power about it at MATS in March.

The newer 2012 Dodge/Cummins 6.7 I have is DPF equipped. The idiots at Cummins felt that its regens should be done by overfueling the cylinders while in operation (Passive) and overfueling cylinders stationary (Active) as well. Most Heavy duty engines we know have the 7th injector downstream from the turbo in the exhaust. ISB, ISC and ISL over fuel the cylinders during regens which causes quite a bit more then normal soot buildup internal to the engine on top of the EGR added amounts. At the TTC where I also hang out on the Hybrid Buses (6.7L), we have had melted pistons due to injector tip failure and even an engine that melted 3 turbos before we figured out it had a weak cylinder that was filling the turbo with near raw fuel and creating an F-14 Tomcat like afterburner during regens. Junk, Junk, Junk!

Had the same problem, if you are using Mobil, stop. Went round and round with Mobil and finally switched to a Kendall semi synthetic blend,SD XA 15W40. The Fleetguard filters are a problem also, we use Wix now.

IIRC the majority of the "complaints" were using Mobil oil.

Ken

There are kits available to delete the EGR on 5.9L engines like your 04.You will need a tuner as well to fool the sensors.

The 5.9L has a more complicated and less reliable EGR set up then the 6.7L

*Not sure why it wont let me Quote to bullhusk's comments????*

In the mid 90's a rep. for viscosity oil (they formulate for case ih)told me as emissions regs.incresssd,plan was to have the eng.oil assorb more particulate matter as it wasn't allowed in the exhost so using the oil specked for the eng. is now critical. A buddy of mine works for a school dist. as a mech. and has been fighting egr probs. with ism cummins eng got to checking and they were buying the wrong oil,turns out delo 400 was not rated for the newest eng. requirements. but texico ursa (go figure bottled by chevron) is he just switched so too soon to tell if this helps he also shortning intervals. the fleet guard filters are a awesome filter but this is also the problem I believe as it uses a micro glass media vs. a paper media like wix the micro glass will filter to a finer particulate size thus causing early plugging

In the mid 90's a rep. for viscosity oil (they formulate for case ih)told me as emissions regs.incresssd,plan was to have the eng.oil assorb more particulate matter as it wasn't allowed in the exhost so using the oil specked for the eng. is now critical. A buddy of mine works for a school dist. as a mech. and has been fighting egr probs. with ism cummins eng got to checking and they were buying the wrong oil,turns out delo 400 was not rated for the newest eng. requirements. but texico ursa (go figure bottled by chevron) is he just switched so too soon to tell if this helps he also shortning intervals. the fleet guard filters are a awesome filter but this is also the problem I believe as it uses a micro glass media vs. a paper media like wix the micro glass will filter to a finer particulate size thus causing early plugging

You are correct about the engine, more soot goes into the oil to reduce the particulates going out the exhaust. However, all engine oil had to meet CJ-4 specs including Delo 400. The same parent company may market several brands (i.e. Chevron/Texaco) but the formulations are likely different, additive package and treat rate. Also the additives may be from different suppliers. Engine oil formulations along with gear oil are VERY COMPLEX. Years of research and money goes into developing new formulations to meet the new specs. Another item that needs mentioning, the oil is developed in the lab running engine tests with "best guess" engine designs. And field testing of new oils is done in "older technology" engines. It is not until the engine OEs start producing the latest engines that one finds "downfalls" of the new lubricant (and that takes at least 500K miles). So 3-4 years after a new engine is introduced does one know the strengths/weaknesses of a lubricant. Same goes for gear oil. One of the biggest issues I had as a test engineer was getting "in bed" with engine OEs to evaluate new lubricants in new hardware before production. So likely the engine OE developed the new engine using "old technology" lubricants.

Ken

The soot is not designed by the engine co to be put in the oil.It gets in the oil from excess exhaust pressure on the turbo and valve guilds as well as pass the rings.The turbo has more drive pressure on the manifold side than the non egr valve engine had so much more blow by now.

• Like 1

glenn akers

Clean oil bypass filtration. It filter down to 2-3 microns. Very good technology and proven it's self all over the world. It would sure fix the soot problems and plugging filters and samples are taken sent to wear check for analysis. Def. worth looking into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

At work we had a couple 09 isx cummins never had this problem oil changes every 20-30k on full syn Mobil delvac 1 5w-30

Not the same formulation as 15W-40 Mobil Delvac conventional oil. Full Synthetic typically uses Group IV base stock, non-syn either Group II or Group III base stocks and typically results in different chemistry/formulation.

Ken

I drive an 09 KW 900L for the company I work for. It has a Cummins ISX. 550 HP it pulls good when it runs right. The problem we've had with it for the last 2 years is the oil filter plugging up about every 2 to 3 weeks when we use it steady. E had it in and spent about $10,000 in cleaning the DPF last fall and changing igniter in the exhaust and all kinds of sensors and I really hate the thing because nothing they do to it ever solves the problem. It runs about 35 psi with a fresh filter for a few days then it will drop to 30psi for a couple weeks then it will run 25psi and you better be changing the filter that night because if you don't it will quit on you some place you don't want it to and it ain't fun. I was wondering if any one else has a cummins and encountered this problem and knows the fix besides a can of gas and a match. The joys of modern technology!

I have an "08" ISX in an IH 9200.It has 7600000 miles or more.I have manual guages.The idiot lite comes on at several times and says the oil pressure is at "0" and the guage says 32psi.So if I have oil and water it goes down the road.Its been that way since new.I run Schaeffer synthetic oil.I will retire before I run an ISX.Only good engine is Volvo/Mack.I hope I can get one to prove my point.

We'll learn something again today here at BMT. Just wanted to start a post on engines. I'm currently looking to buy 4 trucks and reefers for a contract hauling flowers and plants. I looked at some 06 Peterbilt with CAT C15 engines with prefix MXS from TMC they are bad I was told so looked at some vlovo's with cummins ISX so guess stay away from them as we'll. so my real choice could be some Mack Vision or pinnacle CXU613. Any advise.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue. I have looked it up via google. Here's what I discovered. It could be the Fleetguard filter being too restrictive. We went from the 9000(or 9100) to the 9080...and it still happens. There is yet another upgraded filter that replaces the 9080. I have read that you may need to have your static timing checked by Cummins which would reduce soot production. Also, a service to the sensors and control modules for your EGR needs done if you haven't already done one(there is a youtube video on how to do it on a Cummins 871).