2014 ATCA Macungie Show

farmer52

I won't be bringing a b-model but hopefully i'll have my red 77' 3/4 ton Chevy truck finished in time. should be anyhow, only have the passenger boxside left to finish on it. i'll just have to take out a small loan to buy fuel to drive it down there haha

Maybe set up two kettles?

We take ours out of the museum and go to shows, and parades. Have quite a few going to Springfield, I am going to try and get to the one in Macungie. I have never been to it. Having them and not driving them is like being married to a supermodel, but stay in your truck because you want to save her for the next guy.

• Like 1

You are quite right Mike. A friend who has been at this far longer than I have said in the 70's all you saw at musters was rigs from the 20's, 30's, and a lot of 40's and 50's. Now you see a lot of 70's stuff with a sprinkling of other eras mixed in. As he says the old rigs are still around, but they are put away in a garage and probably neglected because the owner has lost interest or died and no one wants to get the rig out.

Another factor is the belief that many non-collectors have that Dad's old rig is worth a fortune and they are not "going to give it away" when in reality there is a limited market and the truck is really not all that valuable even if it is 80 years old. So they just let the truck sit there because they just know it is very valuable and the buyer who offered them going market value is just trying to take advantage of them. Eventually time will take its toll and the rig will be worth even less until some "bright" family member realizes it is worth more as scrap or parted out. Then it is gone forever.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

FWD is our resident "Julie the cruise director". Maybe he will add something. Mike

Hahahahahahaha Thanks Mike!!! My wife and I enjoy helping out visitors, domestic and foreign- 90% of which are through my various fire service oriented clubs and other affiliations. Living 20 miles from Macungie makes it a no-brainer to help out others when needed. We were even pondering having a cookout at our house on Weds night this year for early arrivals, however as "EXTRA SMALL" is due on June 6 (most likely will arrive before that though) that idea got tossed out the window. Everyone has pretty much covered it with the exception of major forms of transportation if you are not driving in- If you are flying in, the Lehigh Valley Intnl Airport is the closest and easiest to use, I highly recommend it (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH QUEEN CITY AIRPORT IN ALLENTOWN.) Also remember that you are within easy driving distance from Philadelphia International and Newark NJ International Airports- they are about equal distance from Macungie. One is just as much of a pain in the ass as the other. If anyone needs transportation from any of the airports, please reach out to me and I will see what I can do to help, however with the impending birth spasm of the latest conehead, understand I offer no guarantees.

And my wife always demands that I offer the folllowing: Plenty to do in the Lehigh Valley area for the ladies. She also says for this year if anyone wants to come to the house and help her babysit or clean, the invite is open. EXTRA SMALL will most likely make his/her first appearance at Macungie 2014.

My life is planed around Macungie , Family and some of my friend's make the trip with me and my 3 kid's love the truck show pool as they called it when they were little, now 32,30,20,years old. The show brings us all together for a fun and relaxing weekend. We camp on site for three night's and leave on Sunday late to enjoy the pool and watch the Truck's pull out. Will be bringing the Ward Lafrance this year and hope to park right next to FWD so he can smell and hear the 671 come to life, ok maybe down hill from him so he will not get oil on him .

I also plan life around Macungie- I usually take at least Friday off from work if not Thursday too. The wife knows that NOTHING interferes with Macungie and that its "my weekend" to let my hair down. Heck she's even getting into it- she came out to the Friday cookout last year and had a blast and plans on coming this year. She also makes it a point to bring the men to the show on Saturday for a few hours because she knows its important to me and my father because it's a Fathers Day Weekend Tradition.I will be sure to loosen your drain plug when you are not watching.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I also plan life around Macungie- I usually take at least Friday off from work if not Thursday too. The wife knows that NOTHING interferes with Macungie and that its "my weekend" to let my hair down. Heck she's even getting into it- she came out to the Friday cookout last year and had a blast and plans on coming this year. She also makes it a point to bring the men to the show on Saturday for a few hours because she knows its important to me and my father because it's a Fathers Day Weekend Tradition.I will be sure to loosen your drain plug when you are not watching.

Randy,

You forgot to mention the "winning" at the Friday night cookout. Mrs. FWD has incentive to attend every year.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Randy,

You forgot to mention the "winning" at the Friday night cookout. Mrs. FWD has incentive to attend every year.

Ha. We were just talking about that the other night. We wound up putting $100 into each of the three boys bank accounts, used $100 for bills, and used the last $100 to go out to a nice dinner, just the two of us.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you've never been to Zerns....... well its kind of hard to describe

Zerns is a must see. I worked for Boyertown Casket Company, Boyertown, PA and was transferred back to the home office in the late 80's from Ohio. Everyone said we had to go to "The Sale", which is what the locals call Zerns, Could not believe it. Very unique! I walked out of there and expected to see the parking lot full of buses that had brought the characters, I mean people, in. I had been back there many times over the years for meetings but never knew such a cast of characters existed. I knew they had to be imported thus my looking for the buses. Casket Company closed and we moved back to Ohio but we still continue to go back to area to visit friends several times a year. On one of our return visits our grandson, who was 4 or 5 at the time, was with us and a trip to Zerns was in order. After walking around for about an hour he stopped and looked up at us and said "are we at the circus?". Yes, Zerns is a must visit when in the area.

We will be at Macungie this year and when we leave on Sunday we will go 20 miles down route 100 to Bechtelsville, where we use to live, and spend a few days visiting friends and touring the area. We only lived there for two years but we fell in love with the area and never miss a chance to get back there.

• Like 1

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

I've been twice, we sayed at a motel in Gilbertsville. Visited the Boyertown Museum. If you've never been to Zerns....... well its kind of hard to describe. I was surprised to hear people from Pa say 'youze', I thought that was a NYC thing.

http://www.zerns.com/

I live outside of Boyertown. We used to go to Zern's, which we call The Sale, every Friday night when I was growing up. It is a great place to get ring bologna or boiled gizzards. I live there and I still wonder where all the weirdo's come from, but maybe I am one of them. They changed things around at the Boyertown Museum so it is worth a repeat visit. Mike

I don't believe factory tours were offered on Friday last year. At the very least they didn't run any buses. Just an FYI if this is a major part of your show plan.

I believe the factory and customer center tours are only on Saturday. Doug Maney will know for sure.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

The plant tour is only on Saturday. The museum is open Friday and Saturday. The bus to the plant and museum only run on Saturday.

I suggest you get to the area on Thursday, for the museums in the area. Mack, Boyertown and America on Wheels (if time permits) are well worth the time, just not time away from the show.

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

ECD if you have a tent, there is a camping area at the show, and there are bathroom facilities- but no showers. There are plenty of reasonably-priced restaurants in the area, and Friday Night's "Family Dinner" is an offering of ATCA to all those in attendance with an RSVP. You are asked to bring some kind of side dish or dessert. I live about 20 miles from Macungie- if you need any info don't hesitate to hit me up.