Going to Court

other dog

No but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Select last night.

I just study things very carefully. Part of my job as a zoning and code enforcement officer require me to make regular court appearances, so knowledge of the law is obviously a good thing for my job. I interact regularly with lawyers and keep up with case law regarding matters of my job. I also have a few friends who are lawyers (one of which has a large collection of antique fire trucks so he's not all THAT bad of a guy) and bounce stuff off of them once in a while.

One thing you have to remember when making court appearances- be respectful and be proper. Begin by apologizing to the Judge for causing everyone to have to be there. Remember you have the right to present testimony and evidence and ask questions of witnesses. When you are questioned, only answer what is asked of you- no more and no less. Don't get emotional and don't offer opinion when asked a question. If you are a law-abiding citizen with a clean record and you made an honest mistake, admit you fucked up and throw yourself at the mercy of the court and you never know, the judge might take pity on you. Many judges don't appreciate Municipalities that think the Courts are their own private ATM.....if you get one of these judges (as was the case when I fought my speeding ticket) you can pull the stunt that I did with a good chance of success. There are many websites out there that will tell you who the Judge is and what he/she is like. Study them before you go into court. Know case law regarding your issue and be prepared to not only cite relevant cases but to answer questions about them. Never ask a question you don't already know the answer to. Above all else- be PREPARED. Don't go in half-cocked with a bad attitude and act as if they are trying to screw you (even if they are.....that's besides the point.) Act as if whatever they say or do is precisely what you expected to happen. When the Judge renders his decision, thank him for his time even if the ruling was against you.

Doing some homework could mean the difference between your case being dismissed or being found guilty, losing out on $177.00 (which at the time was a huge hit for me) but what was worse was the four points on my license when I had a top-shelf auto insurance company who most likely would have dropped me if found guilty.

Well said and right on the money, FWD. As a former town justice I say you nailed it for most of the local town and village judges.

Good luck O.D.

Saw this a little late. Hope it all turned out well. Remember the first rule of law: If you can't beat the evidence get it thrown out on a technicality.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

We had a truck get pulled over and inspected top to bottm only thing he didnt like was a "lack" of reflective tape on the side of the trailer. He started write up ticket and then the driver noticed a missing valve stem cap and brought it to the attention of the DMV inspector. He told him to get out of there and all the other DMV guys wanted to laugh at the way he acted. So our 1978 R685 and 1970 Fruehauf left heaped as much as possible with pumice while all the other trucks were gettting put out of service...

Matt

I stand corrected. I thought court was today.

I didnt mean to sound like a smart a$$ in that reply, I talked to him on the phone and he was loading for ohio, then going to pa for court

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

Maybe we should rig up a taxi cab meter in the K Whop so OD can make extra money.

It would be a good way for him to finally pick up some people instead of just slowing down to take their picture.

Just a thought...

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I thought monkeys and lawyers were the same thing :idunno:

The original was sent money guns or lawyers. . .the sh*t has hit the fan. But armed monkeys are nicer than lawyers. :)

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

:loldude: I Never lmao so hard in my life . im red in the face , coughing , trying to catch my breathe & tears rolling down my face . esp when daddy sent the trunk money make sure his daughter stayed & trunk money had a 12ga pump . ;)

TOM : You needed a trunk monkey today to bribe the cop after what you told me tonight ... :loldude:

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude: