Dual air breathers on R model

I'm waiting to get some pics back from a local salvage yard on 13" breathers off a Freightliner. I think for brackets and bands I am goin to order them through Mack if I can get them in stainless. Looks like if I take out the driver side vent then make inner support brackets I should be able to bolt factory brackets to the cowl. Then I assume super liner breather tubes should work. Or I may have the company who is doing the exhaust build stainless tubes.

If I recall the passenger side air cleaner mounting aera has a steel plate behind the cab sheet metal for reinforcement. You may want to do the same on the drivers side. Also standard r models had an 2" indent on the passenger side to help get the air cleaner from sticking out to far. Most superliner cabs do not have this and the dual air cleaners will sit symmetrical. Not sure if it will be noticeable but just a heads up...

Your driver side door will need stops welded to the hinges to prevent the door from opening into the filter housing. and watch your vent window if it can swing open 90 deg as it may make contact even with the stops welded in...

If you do it right it will look cool with dual stacks

• 4 weeks later...

No vent not usable. To line the brackets up identical to passenger side have to plate the vent and extend the front of cowl panel to mount in same spots. I just used 1/4" flat metal on inside of the cowl to reinforce it. Everything good and sturdy. Only thing may do is shim the top bracket. The breather follows cab line so it throws it about 1/4" out of square. Can't notice unless you know or really focus on it