New Mack motors

i know that its not easy hell i dont own the business i work for my dad he owns the trucks. he started out in 1982 when i was 2 yrs old with a 68 international loadstar single axle with a tag and chain drive husky log loader that would brake the chain all time and almost throw him off the loader . the truck had a 230 cummins no jake brake and way to high of gears for the woods lol. he then moved up in 1984 to 74 rd triaxle logger with 283 hp 6 spd he thought he was in heaven with that truck . he had alot work and break downs were plagueing him with that truck as well. so in 88 he took a gamble and ordered a brand new superliner with a 350 12 spd and 50k lb mack rears 20 front and never looked back . he hired his brother in 1992 to drive a 87 superliner then my older brother turned 18 in 95 and he went into the 87 and my uncle got a a 93 superliner that my dad bought from the local sawmill. in 97 he bought my brother a brand new cl with e7 454 18 spd and 50 rears that truck was the best truck so far that hes ever owned. people told him dont buy it the new macks are junk he bought it anyway we ran it for 16 yrs never touched the engine or transmission. we ran a fleet of 90s cl macks for a long time but they started to break down alot here recently so my dad rolled the dice again and bought the new ones. so far its payed off but we wont know for sure for a good 10 yrs lol

Old ones can be costly to keep on the road but sure have a lot more class and style.....New ones are WAY over priced but for the most part in my case have been very good on fuel and reliable.

Simple really.......Pick your poison and enjoy the ride. I have old and new. They all cost money!

I see both points of view here and there really is no good answer.

Whatever makes you happy!

Just be proud of the Bulldog you take for a walk everyday.

bbigrig you hit the nail on the head. the problem we run into is we run straight trucks with pup trailers and being in the northeast alot of salt and heavy loads directly on the frame of the truck combined with going off road the twisting and flexing of the frame and the corrosion from salt is hard on the frame of our trucks. yes we could new frame rails in our 15 yr old trucks and new froglegs but your looking at 25k dollars worth of work for a truck thats worth 25 or 30k thdn run the truck for 10 more yrs and rebuild the motor and tranny and then you have a 25 or 30 yr old truck that has a rotted cab and is worth about 10k and needs another 25k of repairsits a no win situation

• Like 1