Ever forgot to open/close your tailgate?

2 guys with whom I work (or worked with),said they tripped the gate on their A35 articulated Volvo's, that had a shop-built tank(mounted in the bed) for hauling settling pond mud.Needless to say,boxes went up-front end of the articulated haulers went up and swiveled.Both drivers panicked and let the boxes down while cab was still in the 3 or 9 o'clock positions.I'm not perfect either,but made the choice to jack-knife truck at the dump,so I could see the muck fly out the gate before raising the box! Did not want to go on the same ride those 2 went on!

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I saw 3 Curry trucks laying on their side one day when they decided to dump their frameless beside one another.

I saw guys forget to unroll their tarp at the asphalt plant first round in the morning and load asphalt right in top the tarp. ( this happened a lot after the plant got a new auto spray down unit for the drivers)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

........This guy thought he'd raise the box to drain some left over beer water that had settled among the aluminum cans( that will someday be cashed in for more beer money),and forgot to check the gate before raising! OOOPS! :pat:

post-510-0-96348500-1388419870_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

• 4 weeks later...

I was following an RD the other day that obviously had been hauling asphalt when I noticed the gate latch had been left open. I remember thinking this will not end well.

I do this all the time night paving. Usually our dump man lets us smack the gate real good pulling out of the paver, but some guys don't. Asphalt crumbs tend to get all caught up in the locks and around the gate and it's kind of a pain to scrape off if it gets cold.

I've also made it a habit to constantly check my gate button since it doesn't have a light on it.