Lube for water pump and drive shaft u-joints

Gmerrill0516

A couple of questions have come up. The ENF-707A has a typical water pump with a grease cup on it. What am I supposed to use for grease in the pump? Where do you get it if it is something funky? Dad says they used to sell "water pump grease" in the day. New to me.

The other question comes from the drive shaft. It is supposed to be oiled with a heavy oil. I think I have the info in the book and it is 140 wt or something. The bigger question is what am I supposed to use to put the oil into the joint. The fitting is like a button and nothing like a grease fitting. Dad says that he might have the part that slides over the button as bulldozers used to have button type fittings which were low profile and wouldn't get torn off in the rocks and sticks. These were for grease and had a typical ball check like a zerk fitting but I don't think the ones on the Mack u-joints are like that. I recall a cylindrical little post sticking out of the middle of it. I'll grab a picture and post it tomorrow.

Any insight is welcomed.

Thanks

Greg

Water pump grease is still available. Lubriplate 115 or Castrol 329092 are water pump grease. If you know anyone with a Model A Ford, they might have some also.

Mystik Precision Blue grease claims to work in boat trailer wheel bearings and water pumps. Who knew?

140 is in the manual for u joints. I have always used reg. grease. I have sometimes been able to grease the old style using a needle tip on the grease gun. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.