Mack Rail - Sperry Rail Service, the oldest operator of Mack rail buses

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I remember seeing that rail bus or a sister to it sitting in the Danbury rail yard when I was a kid .It sat but the old coal trestle  where HiHo Diddario ,(He was a big Mack user after  the IH's) had there concrete plant just resting in the overgrown weeds . some of the old high wire equipment used to keep it company. When I returned from Vietnam most of the rail yard was cleaned out(round house burned  etc.the it turned up at Sperrys  along with a stripped NYC subway car body. An electric contractor wound up with the subway body in the early 80's for storage .

6 hours ago, gxbxc said:

I remember seeing that rail bus or a sister to it sitting in the Danbury rail yard when I was a kid .It sat but the old coal trestle  where HiHo Diddario ,(He was a big Mack user after  the IH's) had there concrete plant just resting in the overgrown weeds . some of the old high wire equipment used to keep it company. When I returned from Vietnam most of the rail yard was cleaned out(round house burned  etc.the it turned up at Sperrys  along with a stripped NYC subway car body. An electric contractor wound up with the subway body in the early 80's for storage .

Danbury native?  Born and raised there myself

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

19 hours ago, gxbxc said:

Are there any Hi HO dumps left? I think they were DMMs

48 minutes ago, 66dc75 said:

Are there any Hi HO dumps left? I think they were DMMs

might find one in a scrap yard. O&G also ran them....DMM twin steer and longer rear spread

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I saw a picture a few years ago of one of the old dump trucks with HI HO welded into the side as ribs  for the body. When I left Ct they were still running the single steer axles on the all green trucks ,Onions and Garlic were gold and aluminum. A lot changed up there after mid 1980's.