Tranny swap fpr E9

ws721

If you want lower LOW, get your 13spd back box rebuilt into a 18spd. Your low/low will now be 14.4 and still have a low of 12.3 bobo

Um actually the back box is the same on a 13/18 speed, the difference is the fact that you "can't" use deep reduction in low range to get the 14.40. However you can swap the shifter or just pop the plastic stop out of the 13 speed shifter to select deep reduction in low range giving the same low gear. However in an Eaton the gears and bearings in the front box in low range are different than those in an 18 speed,they're bigger for more torque capacity.

NO, The difference between an eaton 13 and the 18 is in the back end, the 18 has a much larger bearing on the overdrive gear, The 13 depending on the age actual has no bearing on the overdrive gear ONLY on a mack tranny can you "just pop the plastic stop out" you can just change the splitter valve and shifter handle on the eaton but it wont last long because of the missing bearing bobo

Ok

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Its factory with the E9 and a 6 spd. I ment the 6 spd isn't very driver friendly. The low isn't as much as a concern as the top end. Man at the Mack Museum told me that only 95 Cruiseliners with E9's were built. Im still waiting on the paperwork. Im second owner. It was ordered with a 6 spd. Only the original owner knows why. If I ever figure out my scanner id copy the line ticket here. Typical New England truck. Budds front spokes rear short W.B. Level 4 interior, dual exhaust air ride. That is not typical

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

if you can find an RTLO series 13, the low side of the trans is the same as the low on an 18- my 97 T-800 has an RTLO16713A and I love it! That is what the "L" stands for low. It should be geared low enough to idle around a barnyard. I regularally haul 99K around into Vt and there is a border crossing I use in a decent grade...the customs is right on it.. not a long pull, but snotty.. just put her in the low hole, ease the foot off the clutch and away she goes....

Yeah it makes no sense to me but they say its different, I'd swap the shifter and run the 13 like an 18 since you would rarely use the deep reduction in low range, I like splitting the top two gears more than anything

Guy I know just did this and grenaded his 13

If it were me I'd leave the 6spd in as well. That has a 6spd overdrive which is very rare not to mention it has an EM9 which has a Maxidyne pump so it was designed to be lugged down to 11-12 hundred RPMs. Mack put alot of 6spds behind the older EM9s. Besides My buddy is on his third Fuller 18spd behind an E9 and it's on its way out after only a year. He said enough of this $hit, so this winter we're putting in a nearly indesructable Mack 12 spd which is what I told him to do after the first one screwed up. But you know what they say about opions :loldude: . Just my 2 cents :whistling: !

Thanks, Josh

I was wondering that too. I know they mated them to the 866s but not usual with a E9.

The 865 was a high torque-rise Maxidyne spec V-8, and the 866 was set up for multi-speed transmissions.

When the E9 first came out in the early 1980s (evolved from the ENDT1000/1005) at the same time Cruise-Liner production shifted from Hayward, California to Macungie, you had the EM9-400 Maxidyne V-8 governed at 2,100rpm (55% torque rise), the "Econodyne" spec EM9-400R for multi-speed transmissions governed at 1,700 rpm (23% torque rise), and the E9-440 V-8 for multi-speed transmissions governed at 1,800rpm (16% torque rise).

The EM9-400R offered maximum fuel economy in a V-8, while the E9-440 was aimed at the owner-operator segment.

Then in the mid-eighties, the Maxidyne spec V-8 was dropped, and the product range became the E9-400, E9-450 and E9-500 (US market) which all had a 20% torque rise.

So given that you have a Maxidyne-spec EM9-400 governed at 2,100rpm with a massive 55% torque rise, as is, you should stick with a 5 or 6-speed Maxitorque tranny. A multi-speed transmission will of course bolt up, but the only unit I'd recommend is a triple-countershaft Mack TRDL1070 10-speed. But if you have your fuel pump recalibrated to "Econodyne" EM9-400R spec, that would work very well with an Eaton (multi-speed) transmission and deliver impressive fuel economy.

• Like 1

Rtlo, the l means low inertia, the o is overdrive, use the link I posted it has em all.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

And 13/18 speed back boxes aren't overdrive they are direct and low, the overdrive gear is in the front box on an Eaton 13/18 the back box allows you to split down half a gear not up. Check the vibrate software link I posted it has all the gear steps for all Eaton transmissions.