Oil Filter Cartridges For 707 Gas Engine

slspacek

Does any body know if any company makes a replacement for cartridge oil filter used on the mack 707 gas engine? It use to be a NAPAGold# 1237. But napa has since discontinued that part. Luber Finer has also stopped making the exact replacement. My Luber Finer dealer is ordering me a close replacement to try. He says it is 1/2" smaller in diameter. I am an electrician by trade, so I will ask, Will this make a big difference or cause any problems? The other spec difference is the new filter is 1/4" longer, But I don't believe the filter element came up to the top of the canister So I will give it a try when it comes in and have plenty of rags close by. Thanks for any input. Keep on truckin.

66-c95F

That sounds like a good replacement- the original oil filter is not a full flow- meaning it does not filter all of the oil all of the time- it filters a portion of the oil, and the 1/2" less diameter should not be a problem, and it uses a spring to take up the height difference. Once you have it- see if it fits and let us know what the part number is and we can also try it out.

Firemack

Engine 2 qtrs,

Barry and I looked into this about a year ago, and I have a master oil filter cross reference, I have tried every other filter, Wix 51237, Fleetgard LF539, Purolator P525, Hastings 606, Baldwin C36M, Fram C147, I have not had any luck finding these, anyone else have any ideas? I think the best solution is a close match like 66-C95 is trying , if it works we can then use it.

FireMack

I also looked all over for a filter for my 707 and was unable to come up with one. So this is what I did.

DSC00896.jpg

If you are doing a true original restoration, this probably wouldn't be the way to go, but for me it seemed like the best choice.

Engine 2 qtrs,

Barry and I looked into this about a year ago, and I have a master oil filter cross reference, I have tried every other filter, Wix 51237, Fleetgard LF539, Purolator P525, Hastings 606, Baldwin C36M, Fram C147, I have not had any luck finding these, anyone else have any ideas? I think the best solution is a close match like 66-C95 is trying , if it works we can then use it.

FireMack

The filter I mentioned above have come in. Luber finer dealer said the napagold crossed to a luber finer p71 that is no longer made, but the wix filter he sold me is 1/4" taller and 1/2: smaller in diameter, I think it will work. It looks darn close. I dropped the filters off at my brothers house where the truck is garaged but will get the number and post it as soon as possible. Thanks for all your help.

The filter I mentioned above have come in. Luber finer dealer said the napagold crossed to a luber finer p71 that is no longer made, but the wix filter he sold me is 1/4" taller and 1/2: smaller in diameter, I think it will work. It looks darn close. I dropped the filters off at my brothers house where the truck is garaged but will get the number and post it as soon as possible. Thanks for all your help.

The wix number they gave me is 51503. I may not get to try the filter for a few weeks will keep you posted.

66 C-95

Here are the dimensions:

Original WIX 51503

H 8.25" 8.0"

OD 4.5" 4.0"

ID .625" .567"

It looks like it should fit, it is less than 1/16" small on the ID but I think that the original had a good clearance on the ID (and has a rubber gasket to take up the slack) so it should work.

Try it out and let us know.

Thanks

Firemack

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys, Finally got to work on the old dog last weekend, and the wix brand filter mentioned in the lasst post, fit great and worked well. I had between 50 and 60 Psi oil pressure running down the road. However the gaskets that come with it are to small. I am running my old one for now. Has anyone had luck with cutting there own? Where can you get the rubber material? All I can find is a fiber/paper material around here. Firemack, Does the place you got the origional Napa#1237filter dimension give the exact dimensions of the gasket that came with it?

66 C-95

Here are the dimensions:

Original WIX 51503

H 8.25" 8.0"

OD 4.5" 4.0"

ID .625" .567"

It looks like it should fit, it is less than 1/16" small on the ID but I think that the original had a good clearance on the ID (and has a rubber gasket to take up the slack) so it should work.

Try it out and let us know.

Thanks

Firemack

I also looked all over for a filter for my 707 and was unable to come up with one. So this is what I did.

DSC00896.jpg

If you are doing a true original restoration, this probably wouldn't be the way to go, but for me it seemed like the best choice.

On that remote mounted filter is that a full flow or a by pass filter and what size is those oil lines there?

glenn.

glenn akers

On that remote mounted filter is that a full flow or a by pass filter and what size is those oil lines there?

glenn.

Sorry I took so long to reply. I kind of forgot about this post.

The filter housing is Wix # 24750 and the filter is Wix #51749. It is hooked up to the same inlet and outlets that the stock cartridge filter was. The holes were even threaded already so it was easy to hook the lines up. I used 3/8" line. Another member on here (twostickmutt1@yahoo.com) used this same set up on a fire truck he had, so I just copied how he did it. Seems to work well.

Sorry I took so long to reply. I kind of forgot about this post.

The filter housing is Wix # 24750 and the filter is Wix #51749. It is hooked up to the same inlet and outlets that the stock cartridge filter was. The holes were even threaded already so it was easy to hook the lines up. I used 3/8" line. Another member on here (twostickmutt1@yahoo.com) used this same set up on a fire truck he had, so I just copied how he did it. Seems to work well.

yes that must be a parialflow/bypass filter with that size hoses and it looks good. glenn

glenn akers

• 11 years later...