'59 El Camino plus boat

cfesting

Nassau County had 16 of these 1959 's classed as pursuit cars, 283 with fuel injection, 3 speed with O.D. Sold through Chamberlin Chevrolet. The have one unrestored in the N.C.P.D. museum in Mineola.

attachicon.gif1959chev.jpg

That's the same color as the '60 my grandfather had. First car I can remember. It was black with a white top, had a 283 with a powerglide.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The county had some quick cars but Brookville P.D. in the town next to where I grew up always had Oldsmobile police cars with the J-2 option. In 1963 they bought a pair of Holman Moody prepped Ford Custom 500 "pursuit cars" for the 2 mile long, 4 lane straight away on rte 25a. Think they did more racing with the locals than catching anyone.

Most wanted car for me is this 1967 Marlin .

Paul

post-3242-0-95612100-1385782025_thumb.jp

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

My Aunt and Uncle had a Marlin like that, only it was yellow. I believe theirs was a '66.

NCPD had navy blue shirts and pants with a medium blue tie for many years.

That one is a 343 with a Twin Stick.

N.C.P.D. still has the same uniform to this day. Mounted has the Jodhpurs and the John Brown belts. They look right out of the 30's.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Why not change the rotation design of the prop? or does it relate to engine rotation? Or was it designed my a person from Jolly Ole England?

That was what I wondered when I first heard the explanation - why not change the rotation of the prop which would be accomplished by changing the rotation of the engine. In the early years it did not matter, early cars and trucks had both right and left hand drive. Also, motor makers did not build boats and boat builders did not make motors. So the boat builders had to take what they got. And it doesn't much matter in the first place because boats are not driven down the highway so it really makes no difference which side the driver sits on.

By the word, Why does the boat have RHD ??

Is it different in Russia Vlad?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if many of you guys are old enough to have driven that kind of 50s and 60s American iron back in the day. But I did. They were heavy, soft suspension, and handled badly. About 110 mph was all they would do because most of them didn't have overdrive transmissions. Crappy rayon bias tires since radials weren't around yet. Drum brakes that faded quickly. Needed a tune up every 20K miles. Points, plugs, rotor, cap, etc. Many a Olds, Caddy, Buick, Chrysler, the pride of the fleets, were junked at 100K miles as the engines were plain worn out with big-time blow-by. On a cold morning you'd have to let those things idle in the driveway for 20 minutes to warm up enough to be drivable. They are nostalgia and cool to look at but you would want to have one for a daily driver unless it had been updated. And to top it off, no such thing as FM radio or XM. POS AM radios only. I had lots of 60's cars but the only one I really liked was my 66 Corvette. 327/350, 4 speed, leather seats, side pipes. Bought it for $3250. Needless to say I wish I still had it. By the way, the cars with the bigger V8s did accelerate good because the engines were high compression and 100 octane gas was about $.28 a gallon.

• Like 1