Paralell series switch nightmare

12volt is the only way to go, make sure that the starter has the right number of teeth on it.

The previous owner of my B had the wrong starter gear drive to start out with and made a few bad spots on the starter ring. I cleaned it up and 85% of the time it catches, usually spins out when I have an audience. I will flip it over one day when I have to pull the transmission or it fails to catch.

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Beatngu, S/P switches are easy to hook up to batteries. You need to 12V batteries, doesn't matter where you locate them. I assume you have a negative ground system. Positive cable from battery #1 goes to starter. Negative cable from #1 goes to negative on S/P switch. Positive cable on battery #2 goes to positive on S/P switch. Negative cable on #2 goes to the starter.

• 3 years later...
6 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I converted my F over to 12v negative ground and eliminated the S/P switch(it had a broken stud anyway). It cranked the 24v starter OK with 2 group 31 batteries, but when I upgraded the engine I also put in a 12v starter. Simple and reliable.

After I bought the 12 volt starter for mine a local garage owner told me my 24 volt probably would have been fine.   He was working on a local farm truck one time that was negative ground 12volt and it had a 24 volt starter on it for nobody new how long.     

1 hour ago, Hobert62 said:

After I bought the 12 volt starter for mine a local garage owner told me my 24 volt probably would have been fine.   He was working on a local farm truck one time that was negative ground 12volt and it had a 24 volt starter on it for nobody new how long.     

Using a 12 volt or 24 volt starter they will both perform identically, but the 12V motor would draw twice as much current from its 12V supply compared to the 24V motor on a 24V supply. Same as a 6 volt starter has a higher draw than a 12 volt unit.   

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE