B-61 Selling Price?

You could not restore or build a truck like that for less than $30k. And that is doing most of the labor yourself. The truck is worth at least that much. Yes, you will have to find that right person who wants it, but that is the same with any restored vehicle.

Joe

good catch I did not see that at first when I wrote my post, if someone does not catch that before they bid, they probably wont pay for it.

With a busted motor I would say it is only worth $1000-$1200 even with paint, to fix it the front has to come off and that takes a chance of damaging the finish especially if it was not taken a part the first time to paint.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

• 1 month later...

You have a very nice truck. As far as selling it and looking for a price?!?! It's my opinion that whoever suggested $10K hasn't looked for one in that condition for some time.

My story: I live in the southeastern U.S., I looked for a 75% restored (or better) for almost 2 years before I purchased mine (I did quit a bit of research/looking/calling/visiting). There are much more junkyard trucks around, but not any in your condition down here. I didn't have my truck a month and was still restoring minor items, when a well know (in our area) building contractor offered me $20K (he said his father-in-law had been looking for one for a long time)...I still have the truck!

From the looks of your truck and the work you've done, I wouldn't take a dime less than $22K. I live in a city that has a population of over 340,000, and me and one other guy are the only ones that have a restored Mack B series.

The bottom-line is supply and demand.

Keep It. A few years ago I sold seven of my John Deere model G s most were restored some good original. This was over half of my collection of G s. Today I wish I had most of them back Two I will never have again. My reasoning was they just set there collecting dust. Some I had not started in over a year. Today I regret selling them. The money was nice then but looking back I miss the tractors.

220cummins are you doing drugs,your truck is worth every bit of $22,000-25,000.I'm in the middle of restoring my family 1964 B873SX tractor.My father ordered it new and it has been in the family ever since.I'm not going to do the job you did on your truck because I want it to have some of the work faver still in it.Some of the small dings I'm leaving in it.By looking at your pictures you have taken all the dings and dents out,your is better then it left the Mack factory.If that was my truck and someone offered me any less then the 25 I would show them the door,cause when you sell it to him all he is going to do is to turn around and flip the truck for what it's really worth.If I was in the case of looking for another truck and I could get it for less then 25,000 yours would be the truck I'ld buy.My vote would be to keep it and if you really want to sell it take it to some shows and see what kind of bites you get.I wouldn't put a price on it,let the buyer be both the buyer and seller.Remember it's not costing you money by jist sitting there.Just my 2cents worth.

I deal in classic cars for a living. I see this all the time. People ask "what is it worth" and get prices all over the place. When it all comes down to it what would someone REALISTICALLY buy the truck for? Anyone can tell you $35,000-50,000 for the truck but would they ACTUALLY pay that if they were really buying it? No. Plain and simple, If they aren't willing to cut a check on the spot for the amount they are quoting you, that's not the price it will sell for.

An appraised value is not a market value. It's an insurance replacement number considering the time money and effort it took to restore the truck. Actual market value is what someone will pay for it.

Your truck looks to be well done with good service and restoration history. That is worth a little more than a truck that was bought at auction without knowing much about. When I had seen the pictures the price that came to mind was $26,500. An odd number I know but that was my gut feeling. Asking price of $29,900 gives some room for negotiations.

Now my personal opinion is different than my professional. KEEP THE TRUCK! I think your Mack will bring you more business in return as a form of advertisement then the cash you will get in hand from the sale. I found my diesel mechanic simply by having a business card his father handed me two years ago with a picture of a B61 on it. I have since recommended him to several other guys and he has gained business from word of mouth.

When people see your truck at a show with a sign in front that says "restored by..." They will take a business card and flyer. Think of all the business Pfahls gets from showing his trucks? Plus the truck has now become a business write off and all the shows and events you attend with it now become business expenses. Fuel, hotel rooms, meals, tolls, etc are now expenses.

Ultimately you will know which decision is right for you.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...