Work begins on the B-815SX

My 237 had a finicky hand pump on it.  It basically works two check valves to pump.  I pulled it apart and got some fuel in there to lubricate things and presto it started pumping.  It will not feel like it is doing anything until it gets some fuel pressure built up.  So don't give up when it just moves up/down easy.  It is moving fuel.  Once it gets some pressure built up it will get stiff.

I used a gallon milk jug to start my 237 in the garage.  Just put the draw line and the return line in the jug and pumped it up.

The few times I've had to hand pump my truck I've never had to crack a line.  It just lights off and runs fine.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I replaced both fuel filters with fresh fuel in them.  I tried the primer and am pretty sure it is dead.  I loaded it with wd-40 to try to make a seal with it but after cracking a line and pumping it for an eternity gave up on that.  I pulled the giant hose off the turbo so I could spray the suggested wd-40 and a little ether into it when cranking.  It took a bit and it did sputter then start so one way or another I primed it up.  I ran it a bit, moved it to help make sure the shoes don't weld to the drums, and shut it down when the return line slipped out of the fuel jug and pumped a gallon of diesel onto the driveway :(

It smokes a bit understandably.  I will need to run it and get some injector cleaner into it etc...may need some injector work, but the oil pressure is right up there and it barks like a big dog.  Thanks all for the help on that.

One other question is this.  Since I bought it, the idle rate is very low.  I assume there is an adjustment on it.  Can anyone tell me what to do there.  Again it is an E6-250, 80's vintage.

Thanks again.

Greg

could spray the suggested wd-40 and a little ether into it when cranking.

Glad it worked out. I learned that little factoid when a not so attentive fellow managed to run a front line pumper out of fuel while driving to the fuel pump at the rear of the station:huh:. Since it was late and we did not want to cause any more problems for the driver (running a fire truck out of fuel is worth a couple of day suspension or a written reprimand at best) we tried like hell to prime it with no luck. I called a friend who was a full time diesel mechanic and he told me to try the WD-40. That was well over 40 years ago and I have used that trick since then on many a GM 6.2 to get them primed.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

12 hours ago, Gmerrill0516 said:

One other question is this.  Since I bought it, the idle rate is very low.  I assume there is an adjustment on it.  Can anyone tell me what to do there.  Again it is an E6-250, 80's vintage.

There is a screw and lock nut adjustment on the top of the throttle housing cover on the pump.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.