"Y" engine missing

hard cider

Oh boy im a U model nut. Nice U! Where are you from? And the truck is a U686, the 86 in the serial number means it had a 300 from the factory. So you may have the tip turbine missing.

I am from central Va but the truck is in NY

yeah, getting it here may be an issue, the boom is almost 13 feet tall

might have to ......I don't know, haven't thought that far yet

so by the photo above it looks like the tip turbine is a water to air cooler?

why do they call it that?

The tip turbine was an engine mounted charge air cooler. This U model has a chassis mounted cooler by the looks.

Sorry, can't help with the miss. After sitting for 8 years, it will take some work to figure out what is wrong. Could try and determine if the cam lobes are good by watching the valves and making sure all have the proper lift. Maybe the pump or an injector is screwed up?

Might want to find a truck to buy that is in running condition.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

300-315 HP used water and air in the cooler. 285 HP used just air.

The system used "bleed" air from the turbo to power a small turbine fan in the system to force cool air through the heat exchanger.

sounds like a very unique system, and seems like it would be less efficient. I wonder why the hp rating is higher with it?

thanks for the educating on that

Where is the truck in NY? Im from Northern NY.

hmmmh, rrggh.....ehh. yeah....well I won't be too specific for fear of losing the truck to some crazy U nut.. :whistling: ..But the truck is in the finger lakes area, Potter to be exact. looks like you are 2 hours or so away?

well, I started this thread to ask about the engine problem. I know it is hard to say anything from a distance. I need to get in there and see what the thing is doing before I start asking you guys. The mechanic had told them it was the cam, and I see a pushrod removed, so maybe it did lose a lifter face. If this is the case, hypothetically, wonder how much a cam and lifters is ballpark?

I will say I am real tickled to see so much interest in this truck, bunch of excited u fans out there

my neighbor drives a u with short dump daily and he was excited too

are these trucks not very common?

anyway, thanks for all the posts guys

Tip turbines did have extra parts and weight compared to a chassis mount system but it was a means of cooling the intake charge and cooler air makes more HP. It was the technology of the day and now most things use the chassis mount set up.

With the truck VIN, call around and get the parts prices for the cam,lifters and bearings then you will know. My concern is what else may be a problem after it has been sitting since 2005.

A U686ST was originally a tandem tractor with a single frame. Now. it is has been stretched and added to and at least double frame for use as a log truck. Was this frame work done well or half assed?

Log trucks get lots of abuse so how are the frame rails holding up? Are you wanting to use it as a log truck? You may want to find a DM which would be more suited to being a log truck. Heavier frame, heavier suspension and designed for off road logging service.

Maybe this truck is really cheap. Sadly, I have found really cheap trucks up front are REALLY expensive in the long run.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Tip turbines did have extra parts and weight compared to a chassis mount system but it was a means of cooling the intake charge and cooler air makes more HP. It was the technology of the day and now most things use the chassis mount set up.

With the truck VIN, call around and get the parts prices for the cam,lifters and bearings then you will know. My concern is what else may be a problem after it has been sitting since 2005.

A U686ST was originally a tandem tractor with a single frame. Now. it is has been stretched and added to and at least double frame for use as a log truck. Was this frame work done well or half assed?

Log trucks get lots of abuse so how are the frame rails holding up? Are you wanting to use it as a log truck? You may want to find a DM which would be more suited to being a log truck. Heavier frame, heavier suspension and designed for off road logging service.

Maybe this truck is really cheap. Sadly, I have found really cheap trucks up front are REALLY expensive in the long run.

thanks for all the advice, I will keep it all in mind when I go back for a closer look

I have a neighbor who thinks for sure a lifter face dropped off...

so I really need to check it over well before making a deal, even if it is cheap

tires, batteries, fluid changes etc are probably a sure thing

sounds like a very unique system, and seems like it would be less efficient. I wonder why the hp rating is higher with it?

thanks for the educating on that

hmmmh, rrggh.....ehh. yeah....well I won't be too specific for fear of losing the truck to some crazy U nut.. :whistling: ..But the truck is in the finger lakes area, Potter to be exact. looks like you are 2 hours or so away?

well, I started this thread to ask about the engine problem. I know it is hard to say anything from a distance. I need to get in there and see what the thing is doing before I start asking you guys. The mechanic had told them it was the cam, and I see a pushrod removed, so maybe it did lose a lifter face. If this is the case, hypothetically, wonder how much a cam and lifters is ballpark?

I will say I am real tickled to see so much interest in this truck, bunch of excited u fans out there

my neighbor drives a u with short dump daily and he was excited too

are these trucks not very common?

anyway, thanks for all the posts guys

Yeah id say a couple hours away atleast. Any pictures of your neighbors U? And yeah U's arent too comon anymore. Im restoring a 75' U685ST.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah id say a couple hours away atleast. Any pictures of your neighbors U? And yeah U's arent too comon anymore. Im restoring a 75' U685ST.

next time I see him I will ask if he minds me posting a couple of all his

He has a U, with a short dump, An R road tractor, and 3 superliners

I don't see a toggle for the Dynatard or a Jake.

Rob

I am pretty sure it has neither since there is nothing under the valve covers

I put a cam & lifters in a 237 back in the late 80s early 90s, the 12 lifters where more than the cam. cant remember how much, I was thinking 400 - 500 for the cam, 600 -700 for the lifters

that isn't so bad. IF the truck does not need a whole lot more

I have to wait till I get time to go back and check the truck out more thoroughly.

Fortunately they are not in a hurry to move the thing,