Went and drove the Flintstone around this afternoon. Ten speed and geared high. Damn truck moves right out! Front pump and the dump goes up and down very niceattachicon.gifRD 600 interior.jpgcab is clean but as you see, rockers and floor will need attention soon, a good sand blast and paint. Talk to the wise half tonight about it ;)

Hopefully she will green light you ;-)

Eric

Hopefully she will green light you ;-)

Eric

We'll see Eric I don't really need to ask but more on let her know. Depends on what kind of deal we can make.

Don't you have a dump for manure already? You have no time for toys. :D

SHH, I really need it to haul all this top soil I need to spread!

FYI

When Mack Trucks discontinued the steel steel hood option due to declining demand, some northeast dealers were upset. From Mack's position in 1988 with the launch of the dramatically different DM690 with CMCAC (chassis mounted charge-air cooling), there wasn't enough demand to justify engineering an all new CMCAC-compatible steel hood configuration.

Instead, Mack arranged for Ward '79 Limited to supply a steel hood. The Ward 79 design was different from the Mack steel hood, but it was hoped that this would appease the dealers.

We'll see Eric I don't really need to ask but more on let her know. Depends on what kind of deal we can make.

SHH, I really need it to haul all this top soil I need to spread!

I bet it goes real good with the 10 speed behind that 237. Quick shifts I would gather.

FYI

When Mack Trucks discontinued the steel steel hood option due to declining demand, some northeast dealers were upset. Mack then arranged for trucks to be drop shipped to Ward '79 Ltd. (Ward LaFrance) who would install a steel hood. The Ward LaFrance design was entirely different from the Mack steel hood, but it was hoped that this would appease the dealers. There was a Mack Sales Marketing letter with pictures, but I no longer have it.

Learn something new thanks!

I bet it goes real good with the 10 speed behind that 237. Quick shifts I would gather.

Rob it does and no play in the wheel, trans. good and tight too. 97,000 on the OD appears to be original.

I would think that would be a great combo

Eric

Eric I think it would be for a road tractor but I would have thought being an ex town truck it would be geared lower with a duplex. It does move right along though :)

when exactly did they get rid of the steel hood/nose option Kscarbel? always wondered that. also whats the difference between the Mack installed one and the Ward installed one?

The DM-690 series with CMCAC came out in 88. I recall we had a problem with the vendor supplying the grilles as the tubes would detach. So in 1987 we were informed that with the DM's switch to CMCAC (chassis mounted charge-air cooling), a steel hood option would no longer be available. Then dealers complained and the Ward '79 converstion was offered. I never saw a truck in person with the Ward '79 steel nose and it certainlty didn't look attractive in the sales marketing letter.

Having said that, we continued to build and sell steel-nose R-600s for export. Many had tip turbines with the distinctive hood scoop rather than CMCAC.

And as you can see in the Iran pictures, steel-nose Macks were fitted with CMCAC, but not in the US market.

So the steel front end trucks I see was just a option ? I always wanted to ask about these, I may consider getting rid of my b81 project and going with something newer but I would like it to have a steel front end.

Yes, the steel hood was always an "option" on the R and DM (never the U-model).

Not to change the subject, but how many people here have heard of the Mack DH ?

i dunno but that red triaxle dumptruck Tim posted is mean looking! theres just something about it. so I assume the chassis mounted cooler was the reason for the angled headlites in the DM hood Kscarbel?

Balloon tires and a Jake made that RD pretty nice to drive and look at and it had a duplex.

Never heard of a DH. Do tell kscarbel

When the CH was being developed, it wasn't alone. The DH was being developed and tested to replace the DM. The DH used a CH-style cab. Like the CH, the DH was a sharp looking truck, a genuine leap forward in heavy vocational truck design. I remember the DH going through the paces at Mack Truck's Allentown Engineering Development and Test Center.

I can't tell you why the DH didn't enter production. You'd have to ask former Mack President John Curcio.

How many people know what a CA is ?

Any pictures of that? sounds very interesting. Never heard of a CA either

The Mack CH was the modern and vesatile replacement of the R-model. Like the R-model, the CH had no special aerodynamic features.

Remember, an appreciation for aerodynamics was developing amongst America's truckmakers during the 1980s to help on-highway trucks improve fuel economy (The Kenworth T600, introduced in 1985, elevated the trend).

The Mack CA was the company's answer to the stirring demand for aerodynamic on-highway tractors. And it was breathtaking in appearance, a truly revolutionary and modern design.

So altogether, Mack R&D had three options on the table for the sales group to consider for production:

CA - aerodynamic tractor for the ninties

CH - modern replacement for the industry-leading R-model

DH - modern replacement for the industry-leading DM

If you could find them it would be very greatly appreciated. You give a lot of information not known about Mack and im sure many appreciate it.

I will gladly post them if I still have them. While Mack R&D was endurance testing the prototypes, the regional factory sales representatives were sharing details (and pictures) with the Mack distributors. I remember the DH going through the endurance course as if it was yesterday. And the front end of the CA, it was sharp.

UPDATE: I haven't been able to find the CA/CH/DH pictures. Surely there must be other Mack veterans on the forum that can scan and post those pictures.

Was the DH cab offset? Do you have any idea what happened to the prototypes?

Yes, I believe the DH cab was offset. It was of Maxi-Glas construction, like the CA and CH (and MH). Like the R and DM/U, the DH and CH were variations of the same style and construction theme.

No, I don't know what became of the prototypes. Naturally, they were put through the wringer to reveal any possible design shortcomings.