E7 Engine Cranks But No Start

jdklan

3 hours ago, Dewayne Garcia said:

Goodmorning u all I have mack 2000 rd688s E7 I change out the harness to injectors truck wont still start just crank over I use starting fluid I'll start died out I have 0.5 volt to injectors 

What was the original problem.....failing to start and tried a harness or replaced failed harness causing some other issues then wouldn’t start? 

Two common issues specific to the ETECH RD’s. It’s common for the when the motor mount  bushings wear out , the engine ecm will contact the fuel filter mount and if it hits hard enough to put a dent in the engine ecm then it’s shorted out the ecm. Check for a dent on the  ecm where it faces the fuel filter. The other issue has to do with the Vechicle Control unit ( VECU) mounted in the kick panel in front on the passenger seat. Pull the kick panel down and the if the VECU is mounted with wire connectors facing up then water drips from the windshield right into the VECU. Unplug the connectors and check for green corroded pins . We always remounted it facing down 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi, I have a 1997 Mack CH613 with the E7,  last week we turned it off to go to lunch, came back and it wouldn't start.  for the last few months it would occasionally have a long start,  and over the last 2-3 weeks it became much more frequent (almost every start was a long start)  we had a tech come do a service call out to the job, he sprayed a squirt of ether/starting fluid in it and it fired right up and ran perfect.  he pumped the hand primer on the pump and it wouldn't hold pressure, so he said it had a bad primer,  i ordered the primer, waited until monday for it to come in and installed the $130 primer,  and it still won't pump up and hold pressure.  i can start with ether and it will run fine all day long.  but once it is turned off it loses prime and won't re-start without ether.  i hate starting a machine with ether...... trying to get this figured out before i go broke or do damage

any ideas?

Thanks in advance

• 1 year later...
On 10/8/2020 at 10:37 PM, Deanmitchell78 said:

Hi, I have a 1997 Mack CH613 with the E7,  last week we turned it off to go to lunch, came back and it wouldn't start.  for the last few months it would occasionally have a long start,  and over the last 2-3 weeks it became much more frequent (almost every start was a long start)  we had a tech come do a service call out to the job, he sprayed a squirt of ether/starting fluid in it and it fired right up and ran perfect.  he pumped the hand primer on the pump and it wouldn't hold pressure, so he said it had a bad primer,  i ordered the primer, waited until monday for it to come in and installed the $130 primer,  and it still won't pump up and hold pressure.  i can start with ether and it will run fine all day long.  but once it is turned off it loses prime and won't re-start without ether.  i hate starting a machine with ether...... trying to get this figured out before i go broke or do damage

any ideas?

Thanks in advance

My 1999 Mack did the exact same thing.   What ended up being the problem?

• 1 year later...

Have a 2001 Mack Quantum. It had a CAM replacement and now it won't start. It blows white smoke and chucks up a code (Engine shut down and Engine Pulse Sensor). Engine changes note after you prime fuel and have tried using ether start which adds a bit of black smoke but still mainly white. It almost wants to start and might run for two seconds after you stop cranking it but then stops again. Sounds like its only running on two cylinders. Checked valve clearances, checked timing, have replaced both timing sensors on bell housing and on front of engine. Waiting for a scan tool to see if I can find anything on the computer, otherwise I'm stuck, if anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

It sounds like the valves were run 180 degrees out...are you sure you were up on #1 when you started the valve adjustment ??  There is an easy way to tell that you are up on #1.. I would confirm valve adjustment before spending more money..  Jojo

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fjh said:

Yup agree with Joe re check the set ! If the valves are rocking on six ! Set one! And proceed thru the thru the firing order! It’s not magic just simple 4 stroke dynamics!

And don’t try and set like a cat you need to do it on each cyl in firing order!

just sayin!

• Thanks 1