C125 scrapped.

yarnall

I imagine that one of the big problems is that the seller has an idea of the profit he wants to make and won't budge. There are many folks on this site that know the real value of a part or complete truck. I was told once that I paid too much for my B Model - but it was exactly what I wanted, and I have no regrets. There is a guy not too far from me that is cleaning out his parents business that has a lot of B Model stuff laying around. I stopped to talk to him and offered to post items to help him make money, but also save what could be used. He made it clear that he would rather scrap it than deal with people that want to argue about prices, or don't show up at all. And as many of us have witnessed before, the complete trucks are going to be "restored someday". I know on my last truck I contacted trusted friends and got good ideas on pricing. In the end I ended paying a little more than I had planned, but it was a truck I really wanted.

YOU are the only person that has to be happy with what you paid for something. No one else. Other peoples opinions are dime a dozen.

Most everyone wants to make a buck or two. Sometimes I feel it easier to just donate/give away some stuff just to make it easier then dealing with a "potential buyer".

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

In typical fashion, the seller wants to make a "good" buck on the item if they are selling it to a collector, but then scrap price is good enough if they don't get anyone interested.

Sounds like a typical Epay auction. "If no one buys it for the inflated "I want MUCHO GRANDE" for it, then I'll take a few bucks from the scrappers.

Agreed!

Someone wants 10K for something one minute but than are happy with scrap prices the next????

Just blows my mind! Just not rational thinking.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

That "A" model cab and chassis fire truck looks like it once served Township 17, Range 4 & Range 5 Fire Department in Maine. This is an area of extreme northern Maine where there are few incorporated towns; instead there

are plantations, townships, gores, and other unincorporated places. T17, R4 & R5 F.D. has since changed its name to North Lakes Fire Rescue.

That "B" model deluxe cab looks familiar. Did Paul Romano once own that? Loss of that "C125" is a shame.

bulldogboy

YOU are the only person that has to be happy with what you paid for something. No one else. Other peoples opinions are dime a dozen.

Amen. To me this is like owning a boat; you buy what you want and when you do you know you will never make money on it, but you will enjoy it for a lot of years. There is no "blue book" for what we do.

• Like 2

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

That B Model is the one that I bought from Dayton Ohio FD years ago. Mel Clark bought it from me and resold it right away. Wondered what happened to it. It is sad to see these trucks get left outdoors and rust away. When I picked it up in Dayton, it had never spent a night outdoors except for fire duty. Had a 220 hp Mack Diesel and a 2-Speed automatic bus transmission. Not much on speed but a fun truck. The two Mars lights are still on the roof---worth some money at Allentown, had a bell on the other side when I sold it. Doesn't look like much has come off of it.

The B95 is still pretty complete. It is in rough shape though. The bracket and clapper are still on the truck, but the bell itself is gone. I hope this truck does not get scrapped. I have not been able to contact the scrapper about the C125. If someone lives in the area would you please stop by and see if they cut the truck up and if not would they call me. I left several messages. Thanks, Mike

• 2 weeks later...

oh, man. a rare Canadian Mack... ex-Regina, Sasketchewan. hope it didnt get cut up.

I was up at Aran Trading in Mass on Friday and David said he was scrapping some fire trucks. As a matter of fact one was leaving right now. C125F 1054. Really complete truck with no rust, just faded paint. Even had hoses and ladders. I bought some parts off of it before they drove off with it. I don't know why I didn't ask what it would take to buy it. I don't need it and it is far away. Maybe someone can get some good parts off of it if I hasn't been cut up yet. I couln't sleep that night. Mike

attachicon.gifAran Trading Salisbury Mass, Mack 032.JPGattachicon.gifAran Trading Salisbury Mass, Mack 031.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

As of today it sounds like the ALF is sold. The LS is priced at $12-$13 today (ouch) and no price given for the B95 sedan cab yet but he's thinking about it. I'm going to try to stop in next week and I'll post whatever new information I can get. He says that the interest in the trucks has dried up. I'm guessing it is price related but that is how things go. If anybody has any questions or prices to ask about I'm happy to do so if he's around. It bugs me to no end that he junked that C125 so I'm hoping to help make some deals to save the rest of it...I've got too many already so I'd have to live in the next one if the Mrs. found out.

Happy to help so let me know.

Greg

As of today it sounds like the ALF is sold. The LS is priced at $12-$13 today (ouch) and no price given for the B95 sedan cab yet but he's thinking about it. I'm going to try to stop in next week and I'll post whatever new information I can get. He says that the interest in the trucks has dried up. I'm guessing it is price related but that is how things go. If anybody has any questions or prices to ask about I'm happy to do so if he's around. It bugs me to no end that he junked that C125 so I'm hoping to help make some deals to save the rest of it...I've got too many already so I'd have to live in the next one if the Mrs. found out.

Happy to help so let me know.

Greg

I'm still angry about the C125 too. I can't believe I didn't think to ask what he needed to have to keep it away from the scrappers. I had to move my car so it could be loaded up. I'd like a price on the B95 and the 405A fire truck cab and chassis. Also would you check the serial number on that B95. I told him I thought the L model was worth $4000. It is probably worth a little more than that, but 12-13 is a stretch. Thanks, Mike

I'll get there early next week Yarnall. I guess we all have to move on with the C125. It's not like we have a choice now. I'll dig up the info and try to get some info on asking prices etc. I guess the gent is a tad eccentric and certainly not in need of money. I'll do my best to find things out. It may take some persistence to get anywhere but we don't want any more old iron getting turned into toasters.

Stay tuned.

Greg

Greg....that's strange what he's asking for the "L" model......I spoke with him last fall like I mentioned before....he was at 9K, but when I mentioned that was out of my price range he said " come by with cash and we'll talk" ......you would think after all this time trying to sell it the price would go down...but I guess in bizzaro world if you can't sell it at 9k maybe someone will buy it for 12k??? Is the truck kept outside? I would be curious what else he has for sale.....I could use some nozzles....I'm also looking for a 707b

I think it is a tactic. Start em high and negotiate a good price with some concessions. I'll poke around and see if he has any loose stuff. The trucks are in the big hut out of the weather but not heated. We'll see what he says. I have an almost whole 707C. I've never seen a B so I'm not sure if it's more A than C or what...what do you need?

I think and A as exhaust and intake on same side with updraft carb.....B has them on the same side but with downdraft carb....and a C are on opposite side? Not 100% sure that's right....but that's what I've seen. I'm lookin for an exhaust manifold.....I figured a spare engine wouldn't be a bad thing to have if the price was right. Let me know how you make out.....I've been wanting to go up there for awhile now....

I think and A as exhaust and intake on same side with updraft carb.....B has them on the same side but with downdraft carb....and a C are on opposite side? Not 100% sure that's right....but that's what I've seen. I'm lookin for an exhaust manifold.....I figured a spare engine wouldn't be a bad thing to have if the price was right. Let me know how you make out.....I've been wanting to go up there for awhile now....

Well maybe the one in the LS is a B then as it is set up with intake and exhaust on the same side and plugs on both sides but it has a big Zenith downdraft carb on it. The C has a downdraft carb with all twelve plugs on the same side and the intake and exhaust are opposite sides. I bought the C for its pistons and sleeved the A or B or whatever it is...The center section on the C exhaust manifold has a crack but I think it would be serviceable as it showed no signs of leaking...I don't think it's right for a B as the earlier engines had a hot intake and the C doesn't .

I'll see what I can dig up.

Greg