I'm curious about this topic. The 815sx has the double frame and is spread in areas and has some cracks out within 3-4 feet of the end at the 90 degree bend on top on one side. Dear old Dad says cracked frames = scrap. Can someone tell me the details on what is legal and not? Can I weld it up? Do I have to "hide" the work with welding grinding then body work or am I messing with fire here? Do I need frame specs from Mack to size the outer frame like done in this thread? What exactly are the bolts? The only shoulder bolts I know of are the socket head cap screw kind used in industrial equipment. They usually have a smaller thread and nut size compared to the bolt body diameter. I know those are not the right thing.

My plan had been to repair as needed to make it look right and be strong with proper welding etc. (the frame is heat treated too adding to the questions) Guidance is much appreciated as I really want to make the truck look right, work right and be safe and proper. I need to know now as its time to finalize the restoration plans.

Thanks

need to pull them a part and get the rust out and see if they can be put back together after being cleaned up and treated to stop the rust or if you need to get different frame rail or rails. If it is a hobby truck going to shows the frame could probably just get cleaned and put back together, but if you were going to haul or work the truck you want to make sure it has not become to thin.

Second thing is frame bolts like this http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/bolts/Hex-Flange%7CFrame-Bolts or huck bolts bout they are made to be secured with a special tool, or a good grade 8 bolt with harden washer and nut.

Welding is possible, if you have a Mack service manual it has a section on frame repair and welding, tells you how they would want you to do it or you can farm it out to reputable truck frame or truck body equipment installer. You could probably just replace the outer rail with new or used or depending on your use may have to replace both or go to a single heavy frame.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."