Looking for our 1948 Mack

froutzy1

2 hours ago, froutzy1 said:

Great News!!!! I was able to obtain this engine! Now i have to figure out a way to get it back to PA! Anyone have any ideas? It will need to be towed. 

Message mack mhe9 (Ray Sidella.) He is an owner operator with much experience in hauling fire apparatus. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

• 4 months later...

NAPA Auto Parts would have rebuild kits based on Wheel Cylinder bore diameter.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

My bet is when you take them apart you will find they are pretty pitted up and replacing the pistons will not fix the problem. The ultimate solution for the wheel cylinders is to have them bored and sleeved. White Post Restoration in White Post, VA is one source and there are others out there.

If you can find the part number on the casting you may be able to find new wheel cylinders. I found the front wheel cylinders for my 52 A model, but I had to have the rear cylinders sleeved.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for everyone's Help!!! The time has come, I will be going to pick it up this month! Still looking for a place or a friend to help me with a once over on the engine and replacement of the breaks. If anyone is in the PA/MD area and knows anyone that would be great!

Thanks again to everyone on this forum, it has been a long wait but is finally here

2 minutes ago, froutzy1 said:

Thanks for everyone's Help!!! The time has come, I will be going to pick it up this month! Still looking for a place or a friend to help me with a once over on the engine and replacement of the breaks. If anyone is in the PA/MD area and knows anyone that would be great!

Thanks again to everyone on this forum, it has been a long wait but is finally here

Posted this in your other thread as well...

Call Lady & Taylor Body Shop / Pennsylvania Fire Apparatus in Heidlersburg (Gettysburg).  717-528-4196

Jere Lady is the owner.  There is no better source of information on old Mack fire apparatus that I'm aware of, and I've been around fire trucks for 25 years.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

• 8 months later...

Congratulations.  Persistence pays off sometimes.   It looks great. The dual spot lights are neat.  Does it have a bell on the right side too?   Are you going to restore it or just get it mechanically sound and run it?   If you are not involved in Schuylkill Historical Fire Society you should reach out to them.    Mike. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...