Looking for our 1948 Mack

froutzy1

I have tracked down our old mack to Fabius NY, but am unable to get a hold of the owner. I have records showing that he still had it in 2011. Anyone have any ideas? Before traveling 6 hours? Any help is greatly appreciated! I would love to purchase it but seeing it would be amazing. I have attached the last know picture of it.

post-16152-0-18149100-1380558859.jpg

Looks like a nice truck. Where was it last? Maybe someone on here knows the owner or is closer to go knock on the door. What is the serial number. Mine is 85LS1101 Mike

Thanks I can only hope it still looks like this... I know in 2011 it was in Fabius NY ( I do have a possible address and a name there) the vehicle ID is 85LS1164 (also have the VIN) I have tried to message the gentleman on Facebook and calling the local fire station but no luck so far. For me this is a big break through in 10 years of trying to find it with a lot of history. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have tracked down our old mack to Fabius NY, but am unable to get a hold of the owner. I have records showing that he still had it in 2011. Anyone have any ideas? Before traveling 6 hours? Any help is greatly appreciated! I would love to purchase it but seeing it would be amazing. I have attached the last know picture of it.

Maybe I missed something, but where was your truck originally from?
  • Like 1

lol duh... my bad. Mount Carmel, PA stationed at American Hose & Chemical Fire Company

Best of luck finding the truck.....sounds like your on the right track. I bought some of the old sock filters for the 707 from a guy in N.J. Who had a truck very similar to the one your looking for.....that's why I was curious about where it was from.....

that would be great... I will send you a PM in a little

Update! log hauler made the trip for me!!! KUDO'S needed! It is in fact sitting in a garage in the area. However no luck making contact looks like no one lives there. The Mack is currently sitting there with a pile of objects sitting on top of it. MUCH PROGRESS now how to get a hold of an owner :-(

• Like 1

That's how I found my B-95, just kept asking around. Are you the guy that's been looking on the SPAAMFAA site for a while. Good luck and hope you get back !

lol i dunno ive been looking on and off for 6 years if you find something on there send me a link plz

Let me know on any progress, I don't mind driving back out there

Thank you! You're my new hero sir. I did send an email to the town asking if anyone could help me out. Also sent a Facebook message to local fire company as you suggested. (no body answered the phone) As it looks for a minimum my father and I will make a trip up at the end of october to start knocking on doors as a least.

• Like 1

If you have the address the truck is located at, you can find out the owner of the property thru tax records. Just to to the towns website and somewhere you can look up the address to give you their info. Mail a letter to them. That's how I got my General. It's all public record.

Good luck

• Like 1

Major break through!!! had to share with you guys... I have the owners phone number and have left him a voicemail. Thank you to everyone for your help especially log hauler. Now hopefully he returns my call and will sell it at price i can afford. (eh then the price of getting it here) well hopefully this starts the fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So it appears he is not willing to part with it at this time. My father and I are still going to make the trip to take some pictures of it and make an offer because it is sitting there for years being used as a shelf. My questions to you guys are: What is a reasonable price to offer for said engine that is in fair condition? Also anyone have some ballpark prices of what it cost to tow an engine 150miles? Lastly the brakes are shot according to the owner. Anyone know where I could finds or a diagram?

Thank you so much in advance, your guys are amazing

So it appears he is not willing to part with it at this time. My father and I are still going to make the trip to take some pictures of it and make an offer because it is sitting there for years being used as a shelf.

Talk to him in front of his wife. That will add another person to encourage him to "get rid of that thing".

• Like 1

Start at scrap price and go up from there. If the truck is in reasonable overall condition it should go for 3-5K, but since it is a "one of" for you it is worth whatever you are willing to pay to bring it home.

My guess is you are looking at 5-8 hundred bucks to get it flat bedded home.

If you get the truck send the chassis number to the Mack Museum to get an owner's manual that will help you out with all of the systems. Brake parts are commonly available.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Congrats! Cash in hand in person might change his mind over an offer over the phone. As cfesting said, make sure the wife is within earshot of your discussion. I think if they met you in person and realize the significance of this truck to you, that may sway him. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

fxfymn and JTFormula are steering you in the right direction. Price is really not the issue yet. First is to get him to sell it. The more attached you are to a truck, the more you tend to be willing to pay for it. Not a bad thing. Also, telling the owner what your plans are for it and why your are attached to it. Detail your search and all you went through to find it. Also, there is no incentive that beats an envelope full of fresh, crisp Franklins. Many times the cash makes the difference.

If you make out, get the cash into his hand ASAP and get a bill of sale before you leave. Doesn't matter what it is written on but it is crucial to help avoid seller's remorse. Above all, be polite, avoid any arguments and invoke any deities you need to for support. At the minimum, try to get the owner to agree to give you first option should he decide to sell at a later time, then maintain contact. The guys on here will tell you true stories of persistence paying off.

when you inspect the truck ,look under the frame ,especially if saw duty in snow areas, check brake lines over, the 1st parade I had my 54 mack in I lost the brakes, nursed it home , 1 brake line completely rusted out ( easy to replace but it could have been really bad). probably will have to rebuild your hydrovac.

• 3 years later...