MH E9 starting problems

Sleepy we tried that as well no luck. The starter was replaced 2 years ago, but will try again tomorrow. How is our truck doing? IOU want to pull in the shop when back in Florida let me know.

truck is doing good.No problem or complaints other then a few leaks that seem to be gettign worse.

No our 93 "MH"'s were E7-300's but I don't see where that would make a difference?

We had 2 '85 "MH"'s with EM6-300's and 2 '87 "MH"'s with E6-300's and they all had the boxes on them like yours.

Ron

If I am not mistaken the '89 MH we had powered with an E9 had a series parallel switch located on the tower as well. The alternator was a 12 volt alternator with both 12V and 24V inputs to a funky regulator on the Alt. I'm pretty sure the batteries were wired in parallel (12V) up to the series parallel switch. If I remember correctly the series parallel switch would use the right and left 12V battery banks as normal 12V operation for gauges etc. It would take the 2 banks and put them in series to make 24V for starting only. The series parallel switch was used to accommodate the 24V starter if I'm not mistaken? This was only for E9 engines. I know the CL's with E9's were a complete 12V set up. If I got this wrong remind me what it was.....I know I will remember this correctly by tomorrow night.

I replaced the key switch for a new one, so it has to be a connection issue between the switch and the solenoid. I have the professionals look at it. The owner at high power loves old Mack's and is old school mechanic and knows mack well. When it comes to electrical issues I'm lost and don't want the truck go up in smoke. This way I get it done along with some other stuff and get to work.

• Like 1

Hi Marcel

been away and just seen your post...

my MH613 is a 93, E9, 12v... the 24v start is an option if ordered.. take a look at how the batteries are linked together.

starter solenoid is mounted on shift tower, usually wrapped in a rubber sheath... dumbass in my option...

two other areas for bad wires are...

1. multi pin plug behind the rats nest of hoses in left front wheel well, good to clean it out anyway as it serves many systems

2. where hose and wire bundle passes over left front steering box, the half round support edge can pinch/rub wires..undo the tie-wrap and clean this area too

I had similar problems... found the +ve #4 wire power supply from solenoid to fuse panel had rubbed and corroded, also same for wire from ign switch to solenoid, same area

hope the pics make sense.

BC Mack

Edited by BC Mack

• 2 weeks later...

Well here a update, electrical issue regarding not starting resolved cause faulty ground wire, also got two rear axle shock replaced, four cab shocks replaced, idle issues resolved and working on the a/c at this moment. Than we will get fresh oil and filters and get fluids in the axles replaced. When all done she will go to the paint shop. I'm thinking to paint the chassis fire truck red and don't know yet on the cab. I'm thinking white top maybe black bottom. ( like to have opinion please) also I hope some one can get me the correct parts NR for the cab marker( bullit style) lights and the square mack air horn. Keep you posted on my mission.