Transmission Swap

It looks like the original 14615 transmission was replaced with a 12609B sometime after 1991. The speedometer cable, is not hooked up. Assuming the cable is unbroken inside the casing, can I just hook it up to make it work again? And the odometer as well?

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

It looks like the original 14615 transmission was replaced with a 12609B sometime after 1991. The speedometer cable, is not hooked up. Assuming the cable is unbroken inside the casing, can I just hook it up to make it work again? And the odometer as well?
I quess that you have the drive gear and worn gear in the trans and not set up for a sensor.If so then you can conect to speed o head and then you will have to have a adapter gear box on the trans so you can connect the cable to it. The speed adapter is what calibrates the speed o meter to the ratio rear ends you have.

glenn akers

I quess that you have the drive gear and worn gear in the trans and not set up for a sensor.If so then you can conect to speed o head and then you will have to have a adapter gear box on the trans so you can connect the cable to it. The speed adapter is what calibrates the speed o meter to the ratio rear ends you have.

In other words, I can't just hook it up. The cable is there, dangling, and looks like it fits into the receptacle on the top of the transmission. But I need to get some kind of adapter?

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

In other words, I can't just hook it up. The cable is there, dangling, and looks like it fits into the receptacle on the top of the transmission. But I need to get some kind of adapter?
You do need a adapter to use but i dont know if you have one on it or not and if you dont know what one looks like post a photo of the rear of the trans where you think the cable should hook and we can tell you if you have a adapter gear box or not. glenn

glenn akers