Toys

Todays kids are missing out on a lot of the things us older guys did as kids! many a Saturday I spent in the basement of Wykoff's Hobby Shop racing slot cars! model car contests were something to look forward to! (and not everybody got a trophy like today!) you had to put some time and effort into your own project. Different world now I guess! personally I miss those days,only thing we worried about back then was eating too much pizza provided by the owners and spoiling our dinner! or if we had enough money left over to buy a new kit or the latest Matchbox/Hotwheels cars! proud to say that hobby shop is still open and doing a booming business to this day!.......................Bob's Hobby and Crafts, Pitman,NJ...............................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I agree,Mark. I would hang out at Frank's Barber,Toy,and Hobby Shop,downtown Crystal Lake,Ill. With the purchase of any H.O. scale car (Aurora Model Motoring or later A/FX) you got to use the 6 lane track free for a half hour! I had one of the Aurora N-model (we thought they were Ford C-models at first) stake body trucks in my case.Those were like $3.75.AMT truck models were $5.00,cars $3.25.Frank's also had a cool selection of Corgi and Matchbox cars & trucks.Frank passed away years ago.The store stayed open for awhile.Then the big stores came in,and they closed up. Glad to hear Bob's is still open and doing good.

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

No doubt Al! Bobs had a 1/32nd scale slot car track as well,i remember you could get all sorts of things to upgrade you car to go faster! lighter axles,motor kits,contact brushes etc. they even had an in-house shop to "soup-up" cars if you didn't have the know how. I had a pretty badass purple 41' Willys coupe that was the terror of the track! Lol!......................................Mark

Oh yeah,Frank's had a 1/32 also.Didn't seem to get quite as much as the H.O.scale track. He had a huge Aurora Model Motoring track (molded in yellow plasic) that was like 10 lanes or so! It had already been disabled by time I started going there.It was loaded with curves.I thought that must have been cool! And yes,Aurora had the "hop up kits"! LOL!!

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Excellent shot Mark. Looks like he has all of the bases covered with all that variety. If those are all hand-built as stated then that gentleman has a lot of talent.

I spy a longhood GMC on the back shelf near his boot. I always liked those trucks.

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

I think Athern makes the CH600, you can find them on ebay in HO scale.

So does New Ray in 1/32 scale

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Excellent shot Mark. Looks like he has all of the bases covered with all that variety. If those are all hand-built as stated then that gentleman has a lot of talent.

I spy a longhood GMC on the back shelf near his boot. I always liked those trucks.

I'm pretty sure this is the truck the toy was modeled after. Took this picture at Iowa 80, same place the toys were at.

The real truck is from Wis and I'm pretty sure it was featured in Wheels of Time a few years back.

post-13943-0-94187800-1388712448_thumb.j

• Like 1

Mike,it was made by a guy locally that runs a Harley-Davidson shop,when Mrs.Vision comes home from work i'll see if I can post his contact info in case anybody wants one..................................Mark