• 4 weeks later...

Got the new drums, shoes, bearing, races, seal, slack adjusters, s-cams, spring kit and bushing kit will put them on in the morning. I topped of the rear end fluid, changed a slack adjuster and removed all the front axle parts today. Should have the motor put back together by the first of next week.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I have a little more to do but I'm so close I can taste it! I changed every light except the turn signals and headlights. I changed the fuel gauge, sending unit, one to one tach drive, tach cable, speedo cable, adjusted cab leveling valve, gladhand O-rings, valves that set spring brakes, many airlines and fittings. I'll be pulling a 1978 Chancey 35 ton two axle lowboy(picture included). I've had to fix all the lights, change a valve by the air tank, replace the drain fitting and adjust the brakes. I have the speedo gear to replace in the transmission( can anyone help?) and get all my plates and paperwork straight.

BTW: I know there's more I've done but at this point I've lost track.

post-14068-0-37701400-1380761240_thumb.j

• Like 2

That's a sweet ride. When I was 21 I bought my first old r model and rebuilt it. It took me 3 years to put it on the road but it paid off. You're doing right! I've had to do my share of outlawing, too. Must be a southern thing. Lol

Bootlegging or running outlaw is only a crime if you get caught

• Like 1

Hey, R686st, I've got a brand new chrome angle RD bumper sitting at the house that I only had on my truck for a week or so. I decided to put my 500 lb steel pipe bumper back on, because apparently I decided the dang thing wasn't heavy enough at 30,500. Anyways, it's just gonna rot if I don't do something with it. I've even got the brackets that go between the bumper and the spring hangers. I gave $500 for it but I'd probably take $250 for it. I bet it'd look good on your truck.

Jake

No problem, man. I just hate to see it sit around. Countryboy, I'll see if I can get out there this weekend and get some pics. It's aftermarket, but I think it's actually a little heavier than the OEM bumper. I believe it had 3 bolt holes for each spring hanger. Can't remember for sure, though.

Jake

Welded on a D-ring that was missing on the lowboy and figured out the ratio for the speedometer drive. I ordered the drive gear and it should be in tomorrow or Thursday. After that it's just license, insurance, inspection and kingpins/bushings. I'm so excited:) Thanks to everyone for the kind words, help and following my post. I'll be posting action shots as they happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the speedometer fixed and it looks like 63mph is my top speed. Haha! I got insurance, license, title, inspection and kingpins/bushings done in the last two days. I have to go to the Department of Revenue and pay my heavy vehicle use fee and I should be legal for a year( I have 58 days left to pay it). I'm going 9am next Monday to get my lettering done. So far the only trouble I noticed with the truck is a blinker not working and a slight miss in the engine at takeoff( fuel issue I think). I'll be posting pics of the lettering so stay tuned.

Have yet to get lettering done. I did work nights on a road construction crew this past weekend. I think this is where I found the few gremlins hiding in the truck... I had the oil pan leaking 3 quarts of oil in one day, fuel pump leaking and the clutch went out. It's getting fixed this week so I can go work nights again this weekend. BTW: I got two new windshields that I'm going to try and get put in this week as well.