Complete New Air Brake Set Up

Lmackattack

I will soon be adding all new lines,valves,chambers...everything

whats the best way to chouse the needed parts?

I was thinking that I could use my R model as a template and just copy that air set up to keep both my trucks the same setup??? I have looked at the bendix web site and that gives me a good clue. how have others done it??

Thanks

Trent

I will soon be adding all new lines,valves,chambers...everything

whats the best way to chouse the needed parts?

I was thinking that I could use my R model as a template and just copy that air set up to keep both my trucks the same setup???  I have looked at the bendix web site and that gives me a good clue. how have others done it??

Thanks

Trent

The Bendix site is a real goldmine of information on air brake systems and there components. The air brake hand book pdf's have allot of information on sizing up and selecting compressors and dryers as well as a bunch of diagrams. It gave me a much better idea about the brake system and its components just by surfing around on it.

And as for keeping the trucks the same It would be totally up to you. Maybe keeping them the same would benefit a mechanic but if you do all the work on your truck yourself you know what is where.

Happy plumbing!

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 7 months later...

Ok next question

Spring brake chambers. I bought one last friday to test fit and the parking brake chamber interfears with the rim. I need to move the intire chamber assy in towards the frame rail about 1 " the spyders on my B look like they were designed to mount a service chamber ONLY. I test fitted service chambers and they fit fine and will not rub the rim/tire.

I see that there are off set slack adj availible so I hope I can fabricate a steel plate that bolts to the spyders holes but has a 1" offset for the holes that the chamber studs will locate.

anyone have this issue mounting spring brakes on the foward rear axel

some b model don't have park brake... our have been modified long ago. maybe a pics can help you?

most of the B models I have seen with spring park brakes had them mounted on the frame rails or some goffy way that im not to fimmilar with.

I did notice tonight that one of my spyders (foward axel) is about 1" farther away from the brake drum than the others on the truck? I will have to test fit a spring brake on that axel.

Trent

most of the B models I have seen with spring park brakes had them mounted on the frame rails or some goffy way that im not to fimmilar with.

I did notice tonight that one of my spyders (foward axel) is about 1" farther away from the brake drum than the others on the truck? I will have to test fit a spring brake on that axel.

Trent

I believe bendix has longer s-cam rods that you can use to move your canister away from your wheel. Hope this helps.

greg

That's one of the benefits of a Mack with Mack axles , the only chambers that fit are the Mack piston or a #24 service chamber. Years ago they made offset plates for mounting spring brakes along with real hokey offsets for the slacks. Get some offset slacks and fab up a plate to offset the chambers and you will be set.

John Evans,

Trucks & Dogs are expensive!!

I saw a conversion to spring brakes a while back that seemed to work well with stock Mack brake chambers.

The spring cans were mounted to the frame ahead of the front axle and a cable was run from spring brake to slack adjuster. When the springs were set, it would pull the slack adjuster and set the brakes!

Sounds kinda funky but worked real well!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

That's one of the benefits of a Mack with Mack axles , the only chambers that fit are the Mack piston or a #24 service chamber. Years ago they made offset plates for mounting spring brakes along with real hokey offsets for the slacks. Get some offset slacks and fab up a plate to offset the chambers and you will be set.

Thats exactly what Im thinking of doing, I will make a steel plate to offset the spring brake chambers and move it away from the inner rims. use the off set slacks and hopefully it will not interfear with the frame when the axels move upwards. Its on walking beam so I dot think its going to move much bob tailing around town

Packer

Thats the same goofy set up I have seen. Im shure it works just fine but it looks like a pain in the ass to fabracate. Im going to try the off set plates first

• 8 months later...

I don't know if you are still referring back to this post, but a good many years ago I was driving a B61 hauling logs out of the mountains on the West coast. My boss & I put the truck in the shed and mounted spring brakes using offsets. Monday morning They worked like a damn along the highway and up the mountain. Loaded her up and started down to the mainline. Withing 100 yards I couldn't keep air up, so I stopped and all four air lines were broken off right at the spring brake. I had to put rivets in the air lines and cap them so I could get down the mountain watering the trailer brakes. Make sure you take in to account the position of the frame & axle under load!!!

cheers

• 2 months later...

Made a little headway last week working on the air system. I took a 24/24 can off a wrecked truck and it fits my B model with no interfearance issues. This chamber that i took off the wrecked truck is slightly smaller than the 24/24 that I bought from a truck parts store last year.

I here people sometimes mention a "maxi can"

So now I got a few question. :wacko:

1) Are maxi chambers mfg for/by Mack?

2) Is a maxi any diffrent than a standard parking brake chamber?

3) do maxi have a smaller overall dia for fitment reasons

Thanks

Trent

I'm thinking that the spring brake was first built by Maxi-somebody-or- other, and not Mack truck.

I also think that 'Maxi' is now the word used to denote any spring brake.

I have been wrong before so anyone wants to prove me wrong - - - get-r-done!!

I do know that brake cans come in differant sizes and that could account for the better fit.

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

I'm thinking that the spring brake was first built by Maxi-somebody-or- other, and not Mack truck.

I also think that 'Maxi' is now the word used to denote any spring brake.

I have been wrong before so anyone wants to prove me wrong - - - get-r-done!!

I do know that brake cans come in differant sizes and that could account for the better fit.

Packer

The term "Maxi-Brake" is a term coined by the Gunston-Bacon Brake Co. from Compton, CA many years ago for their spring parking brake invention. This is as I was told. My 51 A-40 has the original spring brakes, and valves in the the cab for them. In fact, you pull the knob out to release the parking brake, and push it in to apply.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.