Brockway "Toughest Truck In The World"

bullhusk

Aircraft refueler abandoned tanker in 1970 Flushing Airport, scrapped in 2004

abandoned-flushing-airport-1.jpg

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Aircraft refueler abandoned in 1970 Flushing Airport, scrapped in 2004

abandoned-flushing-airport-1.jpg

I do believe that is NOT an airport refueler but is rather a 3000 gallon NYC spec gasoline hauler. back in the era when NYFD ruled the roost on petroleum delivery in the boroughs. 3000 gal was max on gasoline. Steel tank, chassis was restricted to a few manufacturers as for example all wiring underhood had to be in BX etc etc. tank and valves by the way was single sourced. Talk about a good deal.

I do believe that is NOT an airport refueler but is rather a 3000 gallon NYC spec gasoline hauler. back in the era when NYFD ruled the roost on petroleum delivery in the boroughs. 3000 gal was max on gasoline. Steel tank, chassis was restricted to a few manufacturers as for example all wiring underhood had to be in BX etc etc. tank and valves by the way was single sourced. Talk about a good deal.

Color red or green length of delivery hose non turbo no key switch 45mph speed limit steel nose DM400

Ed

I was stupid enough to think that being at an airport it was a refueler. I never knew the true story on it. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Paul

Red Horse is correct. There was a discussion about this truck and more pictures on the Brockway site about a year ago.

Brocky

Thanks, Like I said I never knew the true story on it. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Anybody know what the other 2 tankers that were abandoned there? One was near to the Brockway and the other was 6 wheeler in the Piper hanger.

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...

Nice 758. What are your plans for it? My father has one that is off getting painted like yours. It was white when he got it, but will be red with black fenders and radiator shell. Unfortunately you will have a hard time finding that white plastic grill insert. Mike

• Like 1

Nice 758. What are your plans for it? My father has one that is off getting painted like yours. It was white when he got it, but will be red with black fenders and radiator shell. Unfortunately you will have a hard time finding that white plastic grill insert. Mike

Not mine. Wish it was. Picked it up for a friend. Goes by "Brockman" on bmt. Frame is rough. Was stretched and someone attempted to put the rear back where it was originally. I believe he's usuing it as a parts truck but he can comment in on that.

• Like 2

Matt

Matt- Looks pretty good for a parts truck-see what you mean though on the frame-lot of empty

holes!

Bob- Besides it being all holes there was a lot of rust. Was double framed when they stretched it. You can also see its cracked or ripped up on both sides in the back. Cab is good. Has a 220 cummins i believe i liked how the shifter came out of the back of the cab. And people complain about U/DMs having the motor in the cab...this thing is all motor inside.

Matt

I can't remember if I've ever posted a pic of my old 358,my first Brockway,got it on Ebay several years ago for $200. When I bought it,the description said it had good tires and if it didn't bring over $1000 the owner was keeping those. What I assumed was that meant he would put black and round ones back on it so it would roll. WRONG. Got there to pick it up and there it sat on its hubs. He did have a loader to help load,but I had to jack it up and put tires on it at home to unload it. Putting tires on something 3 ft. off the ground ain't much fun.

It's a '74 wth a 230 Cummins and RTO9515. Turns over but I've never had it running.

post-61-0-02944500-1414554181_thumb.jpg

• Like 2