Brockway "Toughest Truck In The World"

bullhusk

Looking good, Dave !!!!!!! glad to hear it is only taking a good cleaning and not needing paint.. What are you going to use on the red wheels and frame??

probably going to have to paint wheels, hubs, mirror brackets, it had a fifth wheel on it at one time, so I don't know what it is going to be. If it has a bed it needs to be more narrow. Definitely want to get started on the wood interior.

Ah memories- had an uncle in North Haven Conn. Bought a Conn DOT Brockway-believe it was a Continental, straight 5 speed, very heavy Garwood body probably 8 yd. Disc wheels-probably 11:00 20 or 22's . Hauled for Stillman Rice Sand & Gravel who had a pit off Rt. 5. I-91 cut through the access road when it was built but new access road added off Broadway. pit still exists today run by Keagan but I think it is more of a screening plant then an active "mining" site. Was noted for its red mason sand.

Liked nothing better than to go for a ride with him. This old boy grew up working for the town hiway so for sure Brockways were in his blood. Amazing what you could do with a 5 speed back then!

What ended up happening to Kemps Brockway's? Particularly this one. Got bid over my stop point . Paul

ytdd.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Ah memories- had an uncle in North Haven Conn. Bought a Conn DOT Brockway-believe it was a Continental, straight 5 speed, very heavy Garwood body probably 8 yd. Disc wheels-probably 11:00 20 or 22's . Hauled for Stillman Rice Sand & Gravel who had a pit off Rt. 5. I-91 cut through the access road when it was built but new access road added off Broadway. pit still exists today run by Keagan but I think it is more of a screening plant then an active "mining" site. Was noted for its red mason sand.

Liked nothing better than to go for a ride with him. This old boy grew up working for the town hiway so for sure Brockways were in his blood. Amazing what you could do with a 5 speed back then!

Nubieg open one in between there and P&W plant witch has been closed for a while . They have a wright of way through Keagan pit.

Ed

Nubieg open one in between there and P&W plant witch has been closed for a while . They have a wright of way through Keagan pit.

EJ-did a google earth-looks like no on site screening/washing-just loading out. By the way-mother nature always reclaims the land- in the mid 60's, there weren't many trees standing north of the current Keagan operation. And I was hauling out of there when they were building the grade up for I- 91. The big Cat pans would come rolling down headed toward you and you payed attention before you crossed!

Makes me sad to see one of those vintage Brockway radiator guards rusting away,ever look at one up close? all hand welded!.........................................Mark

Mark, The Brockway name tag on the rad. shell on the older Brocks like the 260 155's were bolted from the inside, so if you had to replace them you would have to take the whole shell off!! So my dad would just use stainless steel rivits on each side and save a couple a hours work!!

BULLHUSK

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a good long time since I seen a working Brockway! I surely miss seeing them,guy I know in Jersey still ran a 361 locally pulling a water tanker up until just a few years ago.............................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

• 3 weeks later...