The air horns are fakes; added later with a small electric compressor. I think the roto-ray was a lot more popular in PA and points south back in the day than they were in New England. My 75A from Richmond, VA was factory equipped with one. I'm surprised it's still there though given it's value.

Yep; I lived that as well. Started as a call guy in 68; on the job 71 to 2003. I had the good fortune to work in a place that valued safety and training. Even when I started we were years ahead of what I was used to in MA.

Poor training and lack of discipline cost three good men their lives. I vowed to never forget that and to make sure none of my folks would ever suffer the same fate. Death and injury is part of the job, but no one should die because the organization failed them by not giving them the best training, leadership, and equipment available. Anyone who has the courage to step aboard a fire truck and do the job deserves nothing less.

We ran over 100,000 calls a year, with about 70k of that ems calls. (1 million population; 400 square miles, 1500 members, currently 37 stations) We are aggressive, but have never lost a member(yet). Had my share of close calls, but of all the things I did on the job, I am most proud of the fact that I never lost a member.

Did we make mistakes? Hell yes! Everybody does, but most of the time good training and experience prevailed to let everyone go home the next day.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!