The American “Chinese Six”

kscarbel

While the Brits called them a Chinese Six because there was a time in the UK when anything the opposite of normal was termed Chinese, I call them a Chinese six because China is the most popular market for them today (tractors and straight trucks). Pulling a clutch is no issue today, with tilt cabs and typically twin-steer axle spacing of 1900mm to 2100mm (6.23 to 6.89 feet).

In on-road operation, a 6x2 twin-steer tractor provides you with 90 percent of the abiity of a 6x4, with lower purchase and operating costs, and reduced curb weight for greater payloads.

True, you can't lift that second steer (auxiliary) axle, but most people run loaded all the time anyway (the exception being the petroleum haulers who might lift a conventional 6x2 tractor's tag axle when running empty back to the oil terminal, but the 6x2 twin-steer would still save them money).

post-5381-0-26588200-1374027118_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-87751000-1374027138.jpg

post-5381-0-73916600-1374027255_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-83153100-1374027270_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-39884600-1374027286_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-82936200-1374027292_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-32147000-1374027301_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-01148300-1374027308_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Here's a twin-steer Crackerbox from the Raceway Park Diesel Drags truck show. Dual stacks would indicate a 6V71 setup that fits neatly under the day cab.

Thanks for posting this one Chuck! never saw it before,or even knew it existed! never heard of the garage either,do you know anything about them? they still around?..................................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting this one Chuck! never saw it before,or even knew it existed! never heard of the garage either,do you know anything about them? they still around?..................................................Mark

Mark, yes Grones is still very much in business. The shop is located at the Lakewood/Toms River border on RT9.

As for the 5-axle GMC, it is displayed every year at the Englishtown Diesel Drags and it doesn't appear road-worthy. I believe they bring it in on a Landoll and drive it to the display area and set it up. The funny part is they don't bring any of their other working tow trucks......it just sits by itself.

• Like 1

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

Mark, yes Grones is still very much in business. The shop is located at the Lakewood/Toms River border on RT9.

As for the 5-axle GMC, it is displayed every year at the Englishtown Diesel Drags and it doesn't appear road-worthy. I believe they bring it in on a Landoll and drive it to the display area and set it up. The funny part is they don't bring any of their other working tow trucks......it just sits by itself.

I always wondered about that GMC and why they never clean it up a bit. Very unusual rig. Somebody's project I would guess.

Rob