We used to cut the pipe off when it rusted out at the top & put rain caps on. Once it rusted out below the caps, we would replace the pipe. Can't tell you how many flappers I saw stuck!

They are cool when done right, though.

Oh, and the "big" curve on the original B-model pipes are awesome.

What about the multi-curved ones on some dump trucks, that snake out from under the bed?

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

We used to cut the pipe off when it rusted out at the top & put rain caps on. Once it rusted out below the caps, we would replace the pipe. Can't tell you how many flappers I saw stuck!

They are cool when done right, though.

Oh, and the "big" curve on the original B-model pipes are awesome.

What about the multi-curved ones on some dump trucks, that snake out from under the bed?

A local waste hauling fleet has a pile of mack R's of all years with auto tarpers on them, and a few of them have the weirdest looking exhaust stacks......snaking all over the damn place to clear the rolls, motors, tarps.....one day ill see that fella "Russ" at the dump with his mid 90's R roll off and snap a pic......so many bends in that damn pipe, im suprised that thing can breath.

On a side note, i also enjoy "sneaky" under body exhaust. our RD had the stack removed (by a previous owner; dont who or when, as we have owned that thing three friggin times) and re-routed under the frame, cant even see it if your not looking for it. looks clean, very well hidden behind the hyd. oil tank, too bad the truck is in such rough visual shape.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

There's one, maybe two, in my gallery in RRR Inc. Likely in the dark. But I will get some good ones next week for you as the driver will be on holidays. 88 RD 688S tandem with an e6-350 and Eaton fuller 8ll. Used to be a dump, but converted to roll off. Only about 400,000km on the clock. :). Was painted a few years ago with a cold ply roofing sprayer. Just the paint is peeling, otherwise, a solid machine. Might be going up for sale in the near future, according to boss man, a new (2012 or 2013) granite is on its way......we'll see.......

Ding,ding......ding,ding,ding...ding...ding,ding.

Exactly my thoughts Ding ding ding tink tink tink . that drives me nuts . Pop had a 72 White Xpeditor tandem lowboy tractor w/ NHC Super 250 Compression release Cummins w/ 4" Exhaust w/ Rain cap that made that noise.

& the 1st thing Moose (driver) did 2 weeks after pop bought the truck was took that straight exhaust tip & rain cap off & walked in the shop & found a chromed turn out & put it on top of the muffler .

a Muffler rusted out on a 1066 Blackstripe IH We had pop put a Cat exhaust pipe off a a 950B Cat loader & a 4" rain cap in it's place that spring . by that summer I went to Memphis & bought a curved turn out pipe & put in it's place & cause I was the 1 that had to operate the 1066 & dirt pan all day listen to that tink tink tink ding ding ding when I had to idle down "Red" for any reason & as a 15 yr old kid I hated rain caps even then .

Id rather hear a 238 Detroit "Lope" than hear a rain cap . hearing a rain cap go tink tink tink ding ding ding is like hearing nails on a chalkboard to me me . <_<

The ONLY Reason id have for a raincap is on a smoker grill cause then it wouldn't tink tink tink ding ding ding . ;)

:mack1:

• Like 1

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

I guess i'm in the minority as far as this subject is concerned,personally i do not like straight- pipes,especially on a working truck,just too much noise! showtruck,toy,maybe! I guess I spent too much time in my youth inside B and R models with no mufflers. Don't get me wrong,i love the sound of a truck with straight-pipes,just as long as its not mine!with me the quieter the better! I drove a White Road Commander for Atlas early on,with a 6V-92 Detroit in it with raincaps on it,damn tink,tink,tink would drive you batshit when trying to sleep! I would take them off,throw them away,soon as i'd get back in,shop mechanic would put it back on!................................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Rough visual shape.....?

It's a Mack so we want pictures!

Jim

Heres a few, more are in the rrr gallery

Actually looks good on a cellphone camera, but the paint is terrible in person, mostly the hood and doors, and rear fenders.

Cambridge 20130729 00317

Cambridge 20130729 00318

Cambridge 20130729 00315

Ill try an get some of the under pinnings later this week if I have some time
  • Like 1

Buddy just put a new stack and rain cap on his K100, but with a detroit, you MUST have a flapper.

I've wanted to put rain caps on my pipes, but likely won't have enough air to open them both LOL!!! Even with 4" pipes.

I have 1 gallon buckets over my 6" miter cut stacks to keep the rain out. I found the easy way to get em back off at 12'6" tall is just hit the key on the old E9, it throws em both off a few feet at start up.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I have 1 gallon buckets over my 6" miter cut stacks to keep the rain out. I found the easy way to get em back off at 12'6" tall is just hit the key on the old E9, it throws em both off a few feet at start up.

Ha! That's what I did with the cut-off anti-freeze jug I was using before I changed the pipe. But, it usually landed between the drive wheels.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."