Hangin' it up (maybe)

vision386

Everybody in dump trucking here has a triaxle and when I was running mine I pondered a single axle with a tag long and hard. I kept getting calls for 5-10tn and it just never worked out well you ended up in a hole the truck barely fit in and made squat after fuel. I looked at 30-33k gvw international,ford and gmc's, with a 10' bed versus a 16 and a single axle you could get into those back yards with sand,gravel and mulch a lot easier. Take into account the fuel savings running a 6-8liter engine versus a 12-15 liter and you would have the same profit margin if you kept it busy.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Don't even get me started on how much cheaper the tags and insurance were!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I sure appreaciate all the kind words and encouragement guys! haven't made any decision yet,but its coming! I think a lot of the problem (other than I mentioned) is that I am just getting burned out,anyone who owns a truck knows what I mean! NO "sick" days,NO "hookie" days,NO vacation,NO holidays etc.the time I do have off is spent under the truck,washing,grease,fixing things etc. its getting to be a vicious cycle! Also there is Mrs.Vision to consider,she is not used to me being around on any regular basis,and not so sure she wouldn't shoot me being around all the time!,as I have been told ,I can be quite a pain in the ass!..........................................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I sure appreaciate all the kind words and encouragement guys! haven't made any decision yet,but its coming! I think a lot of the problem (other than I mentioned) is that I am just getting burned out,anyone who owns a truck knows what I mean! NO "sick" days,NO "hookie" days,NO vacation,NO holidays etc.the time I do have off is spent under the truck,washing,grease,fixing things etc. its getting to be a vicious cycle! Also there is Mrs.Vision to consider,she is not used to me being around on any regular basis,and not so sure she wouldn't shoot me being around all the time!,as I have been told ,I can be quite a pain in the ass!..........................................Mark

Mark,

You should find yourself a good union job with a pension an health care plain (like UPS maybe?) Guys like you will give unions a good name again, or stay inhouse and run a shop for some of these big co's I could tell ya, good people are hard to find today an people will pay a prem. for ya (smart people anyway)

BULLHUSK

I know what you mean Ernie! I have a neighbor that drives for UPS,and their trying to run him off! hes around my age,50 or so,he said they just don't want to pay the pensions! Ups wont even consider hiring drivers much over 30,at least around here,so I have been told......................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

There is a niche for single axles for smaller loads out there. There is a guy by me from Congers NY area that runs a Pete 330 with a tag and a Midliner CS single axle VPZINC would know him. He runs out of Orangeburg NY out of ORI doing small loads. I need to get some pics of his trucks they are set up real nice.

Rob

Everybody in dump trucking here has a triaxle and when I was running mine I pondered a single axle with a tag long and hard. I kept getting calls for 5-10tn and it just never worked out well you ended up in a hole the truck barely fit in and made squat after fuel. I looked at 30-33k gvw international,ford and gmc's, with a 10' bed versus a 16 and a single axle you could get into those back yards with sand,gravel and mulch a lot easier. Take into account the fuel savings running a 6-8liter engine versus a 12-15 liter and you would have the same profit margin if you kept it busy.

My thoughts exactly on the smaller truck . My landlord has a 88'GMC S/A Dump here in the trailer hood he & his son pairs it w/ a 580 Super L & Does quite a bit w/ it around here. I told him id buy the truck if he ever wanted to sell it even though id rather have a diesel it is a 366 gas motor & 5&2 & id run it till I could get a diesel

Don't even get me started on how much cheaper the tags and insurance were!

Oh I know insurance is a bear . pop & myself always complained you could make skip payments in the winter months on equipment & trucks but not insurance .

There is a niche for single axles for smaller loads out there. There is a guy by me from Congers NY area that runs a Pete 330 with a tag and a Midliner CS single axle VPZINC would know him. He runs out of Orangeburg NY out of ORI doing small loads. I need to get some pics of his trucks they are set up real nice.

Rob

Ya id ilke a truck no bigger than the size of a S/A Dump w/tag s/a w/ a cheater axle here in W.Tn I could legally haul 20 Tons of material like a live tandem .

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

I know what you mean Ernie! I have a neighbor that drives for UPS,and their trying to run him off! hes around my age,50 or so,he said they just don't want to pay the pensions! Ups wont even consider hiring drivers much over 30,at least around here,so I have been told......................Mark

Mark,

I've thought about gettin a new Dodge 450 or 550 with a 5th wheel and a 3or 4 car trailer to haul cars from Fl up an down the east coast that's if an when I retire! Some of these car hauler are doin well

Ernie