E7 300 Oil Pan And Noise In Tranny

RD Atch

I have 2 questions, i have a 98 RD 690S with E7 300 motor i found that my bolts on the oil pan were loose. I tightend them with a wrench , should they be tightend with a torque wrench? My next question is my 98 has a 7 speed, when i shift from low to high or high to low it makes a pinging noise, Is there something wrong? this tranny is new to me, all i ever had was the old 2 stick 6 speed

I always just tightened mine down...although Im sure they do probably call for a certain torque. That sounds just about natural for that 7 speed...I drove one for many years and I could probably count the number of times on one hand I was able to switch ranges without getting that racket. I know the only way I could ever flip ranges was with while going thru neutral. The new ones may be a little different but you cant flip ranges with it in gear. Them 7 speeds are pretty noisy..but they are a really good tranny durability wise.

WVDoglover , Thanks for your reply. I tightend them by hand, it seems that all are tight but 3 are still leaking a little. I do like that 7 speed it is new to me because i am use to the 2 stick 6 speed. I have been shifting with high- low in neutral but the noise worried me a little. Now i wont worry anymore, again i cant thank you enough.